ND/Emory/UF/Stetson

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aberzombie1892

Re: ND/Emory/UF/Stetson

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:15 pm

If you don't end up in FL, but think you would be content with the south if this happened, Emory for sure. Notre Dame is somewhat more risky in that many graduates from there that want Chicago aren't getting Chicago. As a result, it is uncertain that Notre Dame would actually open up a new market for you. Emory, on the other hand, would give you access to Atlanta (for certain) and get you back to Florida (not to mention that there are more Emory grads in FL than Notre Dame).

I vote Emory. The fact that it is in a metropolitan area is a nice bonus.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Mesqueunclub wrote:You've been a big help. To be honest, all things being equal I'm leaning ND right now. I'm not optimistic about the negotiations, but even a 2k/yr bump would be sweet at either school.
I don't ever say stuff like this on here, mainly b/c I realize how gag-inducing it sounds to impartial observers, but the school really is special. I like being at ND more than I like being in LS (and I'm doing pretty well, grades-wise). The "alumni network" we constantly tout, of which I had been kinda skeptical, has been beyond fantastic. Even as a back-of-the-line 1L (3Ls and 2Ls get obvi. priority), the extent to which alums will make it their mission to get you a foot in the door in their market has floored me. My biggest complaint is that I think I'm gonna get a better gig than the one this alumnus bent over backward to get me in J-ville, and I'm gonna feel really awkward and ungrateful if I turn it down.

Of course Emory has an objectively superior city and weather. We're low-40s these days.

Mesqueunclub wrote:If I go there, I'll have to grab you a beer at one of the crazy nightlife spots packed with beautiful women that South Bend is famous for

Yep, sounds good. If you don’t want to get stuck in traffic (the streets are packed 24/7 with commuters, heading to their stable and plentiful jobs), we can take my unicorn.

JcM_LAW

Postby JcM_LAW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I say go for Stetson, they have the best trial advocacy program in the nation. With a reputation like stetson has, you could go anywhere in the USA and be fine. Plus its quite the bargain @ 24k COA... that wont even buy you a car these days. plus since you dont have to take out massive loans for school, you can take our big loans anyways and buy cars and firearms, neither of which ever lose value. I havent slept in 56 hours and have taken 2 exams today and am about to take another in 45 mins so i apologize for any grammatical errors

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

JcM_LAW wrote:I say go for Stetson, they have the best trial advocacy program in the nation. With a reputation like stetson has, you could go anywhere in the USA and be fine. Plus its quite the bargain @ 24k COA... that wont even buy you a car these days. plus since you dont have to take out massive loans for school, you can take our big loans anyways and buy cars and firearms, neither of which ever lose value. I havent slept in 56 hours and have taken 2 exams today and am about to take another in 45 mins so i apologize for any grammatical errors

ಠ_ಠ

JcM_LAW

Postby JcM_LAW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Mesqueunclub wrote:If I go there, I'll have to grab you a beer at one of the crazy nightlife spots packed with beautiful women that South Bend is famous for

Are you high? I went to south bend once, came back with the clap from the single good looking lady there... No exaggeration, i only saw one

ulost11

Postby ulost11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

JcM_LAW wrote:I say go for Stetson, they have the best trial advocacy program in the nation. With a reputation like stetson has, you could go anywhere in the USA and be fine. Plus its quite the bargain @ 24k COA... that wont even buy you a car these days. plus since you dont have to take out massive loans for school, you can take our big loans anyways and buy cars and firearms, neither of which ever lose value. I havent slept in 56 hours and have taken 2 exams today and am about to take another in 45 mins so i apologize for any grammatical errors

sorry, but not all of us are interested in the national placement for BigDebtCollection.

Mesqueunclub

Postby Mesqueunclub » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I don't know. Mine was way less than that.

I drive a dodge stratus. And I'm a division manager in charge of 29 people.

You should get some sleep.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:06 am

I don't ever say stuff like this on here, mainly b/c I realize how gag-inducing it sounds to impartial observers, but the school really is special. I like being at ND more than I like being in LS (and I'm doing pretty well, grades-wise). The "alumni network" we constantly tout, of which I had been kinda skeptical, has been beyond fantastic. Even as a back-of-the-line 1L (3Ls and 2Ls get obvi. priority), the extent to which alums will make it their mission to get you a foot in the door in their market has floored me. My biggest complaint is that I think I'm gonna get a better gig than the one this alumnus bent over backward to get me in J-ville, and I'm gonna feel really awkward and ungrateful if I turn it down.

+1.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:19 am

I feel like if you actually visit ND its going to be very hard to turn down.

Mesqueunclub

Postby Mesqueunclub » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:+1.

2things2 wrote:I feel like if you actually visit ND its going to be very hard to turn down.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to the April 8th Open House, and I'm really excited to see the school.

Not so crazy about the weather though. Where I'm at right now it's 75 degrees with a high of 86 lol.

Can any current students speak to dealing with the the weather up there? Especially those coming from warm weather their whole life. Weather won't play much, if any, role in my decision but the jump from 75 degrees to 25 degrees isn't something I'm looking forward to.

And can anyone speak to the COL differences between South Bend and Atlanta?

I was looking through the ND Insider's Guide (awesome idea btw) and it seems like it's pretty doable to spend less than $10k on living expenses if I take out a 9-month lease at a cheap place, even with a 1 bedroom.

I don't have any idea about Atlanta, so I was wondering if $12k or less is a realistic COL range for a cheap lifestyle and a 1-bedroom in a safe area.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Mesqueunclub wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:+1.

2things2 wrote:I feel like if you actually visit ND its going to be very hard to turn down.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to the April 8th Open House, and I'm really excited to see the school.

Not so crazy about the weather though. Where I'm at right now it's 75 degrees with a high of 86 lol.

Can any current students speak to dealing with the the weather up there? Especially those coming from warm weather their whole life. Weather won't play much, if any, role in my decision but the jump from 75 degrees to 25 degrees isn't something I'm looking forward to.

And can anyone speak to the COL differences between South Bend and Atlanta?

I was looking through the ND Insider's Guide (awesome idea btw) and it seems like it's pretty doable to spend less than $10k on living expenses if I take out a 9-month lease at a cheap place, even with a 1 bedroom.

I don't have any idea about Atlanta, so I was wondering if $12k or less is a realistic COL range for a cheap lifestyle and a 1-bedroom in a safe area.

Let's be honest, the weather in the winter in SB sucks. I'm from New York and I've been here for four years and still complain about it. It is just now starting to warm up and the large snow banks are just now disappearing. We had one day in January where we got close to 30 inches of snow and probably ended up with well over 100'' for the winter. However, don't let that dissuade you from choosing ND. The area around campus has become incrementally better, with the addition of Eddy Street Commons to the south of campus it at least making the area look more like the traditional college town. COL is insanely cheap here, but I have no idea about Atlanta so I'm not able to help with a comparison. And I agree with the above...if you come here and visit, it is really difficult not to come. Granted, I'm a Double Domer so it's a little different, as I always knew this is where I wanted to be and came without ever visiting for undergrad, but I think most people here feel that way.

ELS2010

Postby ELS2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm

The "official" COL for living in Atlanta is very, very inflated. It's a really really cheap place to live.

Of your four choices, ND is the one that makes no sense. It's farther away, the cost difference is negligible (who knows what tuition rates are going to be as a 2L or 3L?), and the placement into Florida is very inferior compared to Emory (or UF or Stetson for that matter). Not that it's not a good school and all that (if you were dead set on going to the midwest, it would make more sense to go to ND than Emory), but there are lots of Emory alums in Florida. ND, not so much. They're both regional-bordering-on-national schools, but the region you want to go into is Emory's. As best I can tell, the only thing ND gives you that Emory doesn't is that they used to be good in football.

Honestly, for what you want, UF and Stetson would be better choices. Yeah, your chances of getting biglaw won't be as good, but you should be able to find something in the area coming out of either of those.

As I said before, ND is the choice that doesn't make sense. Each of the other three choices has good things and bad things that you'll have to weigh for yourself, but you probably can't go wrong with any of them (except maybe Stetson... if you want big money to start, that's pretty unlikely out of there, even though I know it has a very solid rep in the area).

Mesqueunclub

Postby Mesqueunclub » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks for the response. It's good to hear from some Emory people.

ELS2010 wrote:The "official" COL for living in Atlanta is very, very inflated. It's a really really cheap place to live.

Good to know. Would you say it's less than $12k per 9 months cheap? Sorry for asking for such a specific figure, but I'm really trying to get as detailed COA info as I can before taking on so much debt.

ELS2010 wrote:Of your four choices, ND is the one that makes no sense. It's farther away, the cost difference is negligible (who knows what tuition rates are going to be as a 2L or 3L?), and the placement into Florida is very inferior compared to Emory (or UF or Stetson for that matter). Not that it's not a good school and all that (if you were dead set on going to the midwest, it would make more sense to go to ND than Emory), but there are lots of Emory alums in Florida. ND, not so much. They're both regional-bordering-on-national schools, but the region you want to go into is Emory's.

In response to the bolded, I'm definitely taking that into account as I do COA estimates.

Here's a list of the tuition increases over the last 6 years for both schools:

ND Emory
34,120 36,746
35,950...5.4% 38,176...3.9%
37,650...4.7% 39,776...4.2%
39,320...4.4% 40,900...2.8%
40,805...3.8% 41,376...1.2%
42,870...5.1% 44,600...7.8%
Avg= 4.7% Avg= 4%

Looks like Emory has been great in the past about keeping tuition increases low. But last year's big hike is kind of scary, especially since the problem compounds as the number gets higher. Overall though, both schools seem pretty good about keeping tuition increases reasonable, so the 1-2k gap in tuition between the two looks like it will stay that way.

For placement into Florida, I think you're right on as far as numbers go. ND lags way behind in that category. But I feel like much of that is due to self-selection, which doesn't necessarily mean that there would be much of a difference in my ability to go back (with strong ties) and find a job.

Of course that means there will be a bigger Emory alumni network in Florida, but I don't think bigger always equals stronger. I say that because everyone keeps confirming the fierce loyalty among ND alum. I'd rather have 5 guys in Tampa ready to go-to-bat for me than 25 guys that won't put much effort into helping me out. Can you speak to how helpful Emory alums have been to current/graduating students?

ELS2010 wrote:Honestly, for what you want, UF and Stetson would be better choices. Yeah, your chances of getting biglaw won't be as good, but you should be able to find something in the area coming out of either of those.

Unless UF comes back in the next few days with a scholly increase, I'm leaning stetson because for me it trumps UF in the QOL and COA categories by a lot. And I agree, both would be great considering my interests.

Thanks again for your post. It had a lot of good stuff for me to think about.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Don't go to Stetson goddamnit

minuit

Postby minuit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 pm

I agree with the poster who says ND is the farthest from your goals. If you want to be in Florida and want a shot at biglaw, go to Emory or UF. If you want to stay in Tampa and are not concerned with prestige, go to Stetson. ND doesn't fit your goals!

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

rad law wrote:Don't go to Stetson goddamnit

Mesqueunclub

Postby Mesqueunclub » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:56 pm

rad law wrote:Don't go to Stetson goddamnit

So, in your opinion, the ~55k I'd save by going to Stetson instead of UF isn't worth it even though I'm not dead set on biglaw and want the Tampa market?

Plus, how much of a shot at biglaw would I really have by going to UF? It doesn't seem like I'd have much of a chance anyways, so I'd rather minimize what I can control: my debt level.

Not to mention, I'd really like to get out of gainesville.

minuit wrote:I agree with the poster who says ND is the farthest from your goals. If you want to be in Florida and want a shot at biglaw, go to Emory or UF. If you want to stay in Tampa and are not concerned with prestige, go to Stetson. ND doesn't fit your goals!

I'm only concerned with prestige as much as it relates to job prospects in the Tampa area. If the bump in prestige doesn't make financial sense than I'm going with the cheaper option.

Thanks for the response.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”