UVA/Michigan/NYU/Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best value?

Virginia ($90,000 scholarship)
45%
Michigan ($67,500 scholarship)
25%
NYU (Sticker)
3%
Columbia (Sticker)
27%

Total votes: 73

Brick_Tamlin

New

UVA/Michigan/NYU/Columbia

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Not sure what to do. UVA undergrad, working for a couple of years. Ineligible for need-based aid, but I'm paying for law school so I'll take out the difference between scholarships and COA in loans. Thoughts? Been to each school and liked them all - mostly interested in which option people think is the best value.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Re: UVA/Michigan/NYU/Columbia

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

First thing I would do is go to Michigan and tell them about your scholarship at UVA and see if they are willing to up yours. I'm not sure they will, but if they do, then I'd probably pick Michigan.
The Michigan or Columbia choice though is hard. I think though, with 90,000 in scholarship money, if you can swing it, that Michigan would be a pretty great choice. Just personal opinoin (it's what I would do... part of that is due to thinking Ann Arbor and the personal relationships that Michigan offers with professors is pretty incredible though)

Brick_Tamlin

New

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:First thing I would do is go to Michigan and tell them about your scholarship at UVA and see if they are willing to up yours. I'm not sure they will, but if they do, then I'd probably pick Michigan.
The Michigan or Columbia choice though is hard. I think though, with 90,000 in scholarship money, if you can swing it, that Michigan would be a pretty great choice. Just personal opinoin (it's what I would do... part of that is due to thinking Ann Arbor and the personal relationships that Michigan offers with professors is pretty incredible though)
Thats probably worth a try, but Michigan's letter said something to the effect of "once we offer you a scholarship, we don't want to negotiate relative to other schools". Couldn't hurt to ask though. Thanks for the input!

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 pm

What do you wnat to do? Biglaw or PI or something inbetween?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Brick_Tamlin wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:First thing I would do is go to Michigan and tell them about your scholarship at UVA and see if they are willing to up yours. I'm not sure they will, but if they do, then I'd probably pick Michigan.
Thats probably worth a try, but Michigan's letter said something to the effect of "once we offer you a scholarship, we don't want to negotiate relative to other schools". Couldn't hurt to ask though. Thanks for the input!
Definitely ask.

It doesn't always work, but I know at least one or two folks on TLS that got an increase this way last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brick_Tamlin

New

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Curry wrote:What do you wnat to do? Biglaw or PI?
Based on what little knowledge I have, either Biglaw -> In house or Govt. I've had a taste of 80 hour weeks already, and while I can handle it I don't want to make a career out of it.

Brick_Tamlin

New

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Brick_Tamlin wrote:
Definitely ask.

It doesn't always work, but I know at least one or two folks on TLS that got an increase this way last year.
Will do. Thanks!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 pm

What market do you want? I think UVA's money has got to sway the scales towards it, but UM isn't out of the question either.

I'd throw out NYU here, unless they give you more money for Columbia. And assuming money stays the same, I'd go UVA > CLS > UM, but it's pretty close, and obviously dependent on what you want.

Brick_Tamlin

New

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Moxie wrote:What market do you want? I think UVA's money has got to sway the scales towards it, but UM isn't out of the question either.

I'd throw out NYU here, unless they give you more money for Columbia. And assuming money stays the same, I'd go UVA > CLS > UM, but it's pretty close, and obviously dependent on what you want.
DC or NY, although I understand the former is a lot harder to get. I'm in DC now and I love it.

Perhaps a more honest answer is I'm young, single, and open to moving wherever. So I'm not sold on anything enough to let it sway me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

The difference between UM and UVA is not worth 23k (its actually more because of compounding of interest). As for NYU/CLS, its all about whether or not you want PI or biglaw; PI, NYU for sure, if biglaw, CLS for sure.

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm

We need a new LRAP thread and some expert advice on LRAP options at these schools.

I found this old thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=62094

My sense, though, is that it's going to come down to that hard choice of which place you think you really like best. These schools will all give you a reasonable shot at BigLaw (Mich/UVA each about 55% odds, Columbia 65%). Their clerkship numbers are about equal. Beyond that, it's LRAPs/$ and intangibles. Setting LRAP aside, I think this favors UVA/MLaw over NYU/CLS: a scholarship should count in the LRAP bucket. That'd make UVA your best option, if you truly cannot distinguish these schools otherwise. (More on that later.)

If you want to go straight into PI, I don't think the name of the school will matter. I disagree with "NYU for sure if PI". In my experience, PI orgs do not obsess over your diploma/stats like BigLaw does. They're not trying to impress clients; they want talent, wherever it comes from. I'm talking about T14 vs. TTT here; outside of a few orgs like the ACLU, I just can't imagine UVA vs. Columbia making a difference.

You probably know more about these schools than me, but ... my impression is that they have very, very different personalities. (Going on stereotypes, these actually might be the best you could do with the prompt, "Pick four T14 schools so as to maximize cultural and institutional differences.") Which school/alumni network would you want the most?
Last edited by Lawlcat on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm

u crazy bro?

Go to UVA.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:u crazy bro?

Go to UVA.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Lawlcat wrote:You probably know more about these schools than me, but ... my impression is that they have very, very different personalities. (Going on stereotypes, these actually might be the best you could do with the prompt, "Pick four T14 schools so as to maximize cultural and institutional differences.") Which school/alumni network would you want the most?

yngblkgifted wrote:u crazy bro?

Go to UVA.
Example provided above.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I LOVED NYU when I visited (and NYC as a whole). But even with that, the $90,000 at UVa is probably the best deal. To be honest, I don't think there is a huge difference between these four options. If I had to rank them I would probably go 1. UVa 2. Columbia 3. NYU 3. Michigan.

But as was mentioned above, the best place to go is probably the place you enjoyed most. I think there is definitely some merit to the idea that you will get the highest grades at the place you're happiest, which would make that place the best deal of the four options.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:23 pm

90k will buy you a really, really nice car. Or a lifetime supply of Little Debbie snack cakes. I wish I had your problem. :D

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:33 pm

ahduth wrote:90k will buy you a really, really nice car. Or a lifetime supply of Little Debbie snack cakes. I wish I had your problem. :D
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:38 pm

so you have a 90K scholly and want to work in DC? its UVA by a mile not even close

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm

UVA is definitely the best value. If you were deadset on maximizing biglaw or uber prestigous firm placement or something I'd say CLS. But UVA seems to be a really good deal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”