Michigan $ vs. UVA vs. Duke(?) for DC/Not NY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school for my situation?

Michigan $30k
70%
UVA
30%
Duke (?)
No votes

Total votes: 20

R.R. Raskolnikov

Michigan $ vs. UVA vs. Duke(?) for DC/Not NY

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

I want to work in biglaw or for the federal government in DC. If my grades aren't good enough to make that happen, I would like to avoid New York (I work/live here now, not that interested in finance/securities, would like a new environment)and would like the flexibility to choose from different markets (maybe Boston, maybe Cali, etc. I'm undecided).

Michigan has given me a $30k scholarship which Virginia did not match. Are Virginia's connections and placement power in DC that much better than Michigan's (if at all) to make me think twice if I'm dead set on DC? Also, given Virginia places mainly in DC and NY, does it have enough sway in other markets to to give me comparable options to what I would have out of Michigan, which has a more widespread alumni base?

Finally, Duke hasn't processed my merit scholarship application yet. How much would you say they'd have to offer to make me consider it given my preference for DC and my secondary preference for anywhere but NY?

And yes, I do know that ultimately it is my decision to make and that I need to visit everywhere, etc. etc. I've already been to Michigan and will be visiting elsewhere in the coming weeks. I'm leaning strongly toward Michigan at this point but I'm primarily posting this to see if there are other ways of looking at my situation that would make me reconsider my options. I'm confident that I would be very happy at both Michigan and Virginia (I know less about Durham), so this is mainly a consideration of finances and job prospects given my goals.

Thanks in advance for the input!

sundance95

Re: Michigan $ vs. UVA vs. Duke(?) for DC/Not NY

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 pm

$30k total or per year? Regardless, I'd likely follow the money.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Duke if they match or beat Mich. Otherwise Mich.

DC firms have little loyalty to local schools.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Do you have any ties or exeperience in DC? Last year, I seem to remember LOTS of people on TLS with good grades from good schools having a very difficult time getting anything in the insular DC market.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 pm

paratactical wrote:Do you have any ties or exeperience in DC? Last year, I seem to remember LOTS of people on TLS with good grades from good schools having a very difficult time getting anything in the insular DC market.

DC is actually the opposite of insular. But it's remarkably competitive. They'd rather take top 10% from a lot of schools than top third from local schools. Only bidding on DC at OCI is suicide.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paratactical wrote:Do you have any ties or exeperience in DC? Last year, I seem to remember LOTS of people on TLS with good grades from good schools having a very difficult time getting anything in the insular DC market.

DC is actually the opposite of insular. But it's remarkably competitive. They'd rather take top 10% from a lot of schools than top third from local schools. Only bidding on DC at OCI is suicide.

Credited. So credited.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Gotcha. I didn't remember exactly what the problem was, just that it seemed impossible on TLS where I feel like we have pretty decent self-selection.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

sundance95 wrote:$30k total or per year? Regardless, I'd likely follow the money.

God how I wish it was 30k per year, but alas it's 10k per year. Modest, but it's still a ~15% discount.

I also forgot to mention in the original post that LRAP could be a persuasive factor as well. I get the impression that Michigan's is pretty stellar. I like the 5 year enrollment period and that it covers all jobs (private sector included) under roughly $88k (GS-11 x 1.75). I got the impression from a bit of research that Duke's isn't as good and I plan on talking to UVA financial aid about the specs of theirs. I don't see myself in biglaw long term so if I can get the right gov't job at or within a few years of graduation LRAP would be an important factor.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Duke if they match or beat Mich. Otherwise Mich.

If Duke only matched you'd really take Duke over Michigan? I could see Duke having an edge in DC if you do their externship program in DC for a semester, but I'd imagine I could do something similar on my own through Michigan. Do you think Duke has some other significant placement edge in DC?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:57 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Duke if they match or beat Mich. Otherwise Mich.

If Duke only matched you'd really take Duke over Michigan? I could see Duke having an edge in DC if you do their externship program in DC for a semester, but I'd imagine I could do something similar on my own through Michigan. Do you think Duke has some other significant placement edge in DC?

It's pretty hard to tell but the Duke alumni network is probably better. Though at that point, its basically a tie and you can choose based on which school interests you more.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”