IIT Kent, UNH, or Santa Clara for IP?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Boilers9

IIT Kent, UNH, or Santa Clara for IP?

Postby Boilers9 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I am trying to make a decision between IIT Kent, UNH, and Santa Clara for IP.

Background in biology interested in pursuing IP litigation. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

RockyIII

Re: IIT Kent, UNH, or Santa Clara for IP?

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Where do you want to practice? These are very different areas of the country...

Cost of attendance at each?

Boilers9

Postby Boilers9 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

RockyIII wrote:Where do you want to practice? These are very different areas of the country...

Eventually want to practice in North Carolina, I know UNH has put attorneys in all areas of the country.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Specialty rankings are meaningless with the small caveat that some people think that Franklin Pierce is actually worth it for IP. I have no idea how true the latter part is.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Boilers9 wrote:
RockyIII wrote:Where do you want to practice? These are very different areas of the country...

Eventually want to practice in North Carolina, I know UNH has put attorneys in all areas of the country.

Has anyone from UNH ended up working in North Carolina? probably. But this does not mean it is something everyone can do. If you want to work in North Carolina, go to UNC or similar school.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm

If you really want IP lit in North Carolina, of which there is not really all that much, you should aim at Vanderbilt and higher schools, or failing that, probably only UNC would be worthwhile -- and even then, you're in a tough spot. You should sit out, get some work experience, and retake the LSAT.

If you have a PhD + some good niche work experience (more on the chemistry side than the biology side), it might make sense to go to one of those schools to land patent prosecution or transactional work, provided you have a large scholarship of course.

jelly

Postby jelly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I would say Kent out of these three. Overall ranking is a much bigger consideration than the specialty rankings. All three are known for IP, but Santa Clara is on the lower end of the tier 2 schools and UNH isn't even in the top 100. Kent is a solid, upper level tier 2 (and many people think it's underrated for its stats and should be in the top 50). Unless you have a strong desire to practice in Northern California, Kent is your best option for IP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”