NYU vs Cornell vs UVa (LLM pro) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kozik

New

NYU vs Cornell vs UVa (LLM pro)

Post by kozik » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 am

Hello all, please help me to make decision.
I have been admitted to 2011/2012 LLM to all these schools, none of them offered a sholarship or any kind of fellowships though.
That's a rather sersious investment for me so I must approach this decision very carefully.
Another important factor is that I am a package deal that comes with two kids of 7 and 10, so I am reviewing not only the school but all supplied child care facilities nearby the area of interest.
New Yourk U is commonly rated above Cornell and UVa but life is cheaper in Ithaka and in Charlottesville
I need your advice, guys, what whoud you say, given the situation?
And one more question what do you think - is it possible to study with two kids or this is no way and absolutely stupid idea?

kind regards in advance

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: NYU vs Cornell vs UVa (LLM pro)

Post by tourdeforcex » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm

depends on what you plan to do w/ that LLM

where do you want to work after you get that LLM?

how do NYU / Cornell / UVA support those plans?

Cost of Living (COL) is definitely higher in NYC. do you like living in big cities? do you like the cold?

kozik

New

Post by kozik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:31 am

I am from northern country, so I am ok with cold :)

I hope to push upside my career by means of getting LLM in USA , which have been stagnized a little bis recently.

I am an honoured graduate from top law school in my homeland but then spent several years as a stay home mum and now I am not quite pleased with where I am on the career ladder.

I would say that in my country Cornell is easier to sell afterwards ( despite the fact that it has the lowest rank among all three mentioned schools)

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:49 pm

hmm

my suggestion would be to get a very clear picture of how strong an LLM from each of these schools would be valued in the career you want to pursue. (e.g. if you want to work at a large private firm eventually, find some contacts (through friends or business contacts) at large private firms, ask their advice.)

be sure the LLM will be worth the investment. relocated an entire family for the time it takes for an LLM and then moving back takes quite a bit of effort.

best wishes

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Bigger issue than child care for NYU when considering a 7 & 10 year-old would be finding a quality school - they obviously exist, but it's competitive, and the public schools are inconsistent. Definitely research what your options would be sooner rather than later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”