UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Emory (45k)
57%
UC Hastings (sticker)
29%
UC Irvine (40% scholarship)
14%

Total votes: 7

drdolittle

Silver

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Post by drdolittle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Davis is probably the most 'known,' at least in CA.
This is objectively incorrect for law schools. Hastings is better known in the CA legal community (i.e. not the typical TLS reader or prospective law student) out of all these options because it's been around much longer, and was ranked significantly higher than it is now until relatively recently. Outside the law, you might be right that Davis is better known due to its large undergrad campus.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:53 pm

drdolittle wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Davis is probably the most 'known,' at least in CA.
This is objectively incorrect for law schools. Hastings is better known in the CA legal community (i.e. not the typical TLS reader or prospective law student) out of all these options because it's been around much longer, and was ranked significantly higher than it is now until relatively recently. Outside the law, you might be right that Davis is better known due to its large undergrad campus.
+1

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:40 pm

YourCaptain wrote:I dislike all of these options but Davis is probably the most 'known,' at least in CA.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:52 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
uci2013 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
uci2013 wrote:As a PI minded 1L I was actually a little dismayed by how many 2Ls are going the firm route this summer.
You got me curious: how many 2Ls are going the firm route this summer?
31 firms are listed and I know some of the firms have taken on more than one 2L so that is over half the class.
31 firms ain't bad, but you realize just because a firm shows up, doesn't mean they're taking anyone for the summer? 31 firms could all be after the same 10 students (who split among the 5 firms, so multiple students per firm).

I'm not saying my hypothesis is any better (or worse) than yours, I was just looking for more specific stats (number of students at NLJ250 firms, or something). If you don't have those, nothing wrong with that, I certainly don't have that data for my school's 2Ls. Just the way you phrased the post I was responded to made me think that data might be floating around.
31 firms are listed as having hired at least 1 2L for the summer - this is a list of placements - a number were gained outside of OCI.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:23 pm

uci2013 wrote:31 firms are listed as having hired at least 1 2L for the summer - this is a list of placements - a number were gained outside of OCI.
Ah, thanks. That is good info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”