UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Emory (45k)
4
57%
UC Hastings (sticker)
2
29%
UC Irvine (40% scholarship)
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Metaread » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm also on the waitlist at BU, but here is a sample of the maelstrom of thoughts swirling in my head:

My goal is to enter a big law firm, not sure exactly which area of law I'd want to enter til I get there. As for the region, I honestly don't mind much, as being in either California or Georgia seem decent. I will admit I prefer California over Georgia (slightly), though. All the schools in this poll have good weather (which is somewhat important to me), and the employment is pretty much up in the air given the economy, though some are probably better for big law firms than others (which exactly? I'm not sure, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on that for me).

Emory dropped to no. 30 in the new rankings, which isn't worrying except that the employment stat is a worryingly low 65%, but it has a great campus, professors and a respectable reputation amongst law firms. I don't relish the prospect of practicing in the South at large, however. Emory would be a stepping stone to the Northeast or California if I get it all done right.

UC Irvine is a risk as it has no alumni base and is not yet accredited (though they say that will happen this summer). But the faculty are drawn from Ivy leagues, the aid is generous, the OC is a nice place, and I think its newness will attract some employers (perhaps) and definitely attract a lot of support from professors. The faculty: student ratio at UCI is unbeatable at 6:1.

Davis has risen in rankings and has decent (though nore great) employment prospects, but I'm a little skeptical given it rose quickly the past 2 years. It might drop again. People say that Cali's economy sucks (where doesn't the economy suck) but that could change in 3 years. I'm a bit concerned they didn't give me any merit scholarship whatsoever though, that's the big factor deterring me from sending in that first deposit. They have a nice King Hall facility (new one), and are reasonable in most aspects, but not a stellar standout in my eyes.

As for Hastings, the pricey SF area and its low ranking (around 40s) plus the lack of a scholarship deter me....

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Davis removed, deposit not paid.
Last edited by Metaread on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Irvine $$ vs Emory $$ vs UC Davis (scholly unknown)

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am

Atlanta has horrible weather, and Davis is gross for at least a month in the summer. Of those schools, Irvine is really the only one with what I'd call good weather. That said, if you want my advice, Emory's OCI was supposedly a complete bloodbath and UCI is still too much of an unknown. Come to Davis.

Full disclosure: I go to Davis and am not an unbiased party.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine $$ vs Emory $$ vs UC Davis (scholly unknown)

Postby Metaread » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 am

Do Davis grads tend to land in biglaw a lot though? Hastings is in SF so I'm assuming they have more of a chance...though given the rankings, I wouldn't be surprised if their education and/or reputation nationally was somewhat inferior to Davis'......though there's another thread debating about that.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Metaread » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am

Sorry for the double post, was wondering if others had any input to offer? Deposits are coming up, and Irvine wants me to choose a yes/no for their deposit (no "I will give you a deposit and make my final decision later" option, sadly).

ipod
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby ipod » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:10 am

I think if you're ambitious and take initiative, don't get discouraged easily, and take full advantage of the resources available to you, you will do well in Irvine. It's a new school and somewhat risky, but the scholly helps and the dean is pushing really hard for his students (you basically want to be part of his coterie). Oh, and they curve to a B+ and don't rank. :) Irvine's lack of accreditation locks it out of some public interest/sector jobs/fairs, but since you want biglaw, it's no big deal. I did hear, though, that their 100+ OCI turnout last year was more than 50% public interest.

That said, if you want biglaw, your best chance is through your school's OCI. It's unclear how the new ranking will affect Davis's fall OCI attendance (possibly not at all), but none of these UC law schools will guarantee biglaw for you in this economy unless you get good grades and interview well. If your concern is loans, go with Irvine. If you want to stay in CA, any of the UCs. If you want norcal, drop Irvine because their reach is limited mainly to LA/OC and it's probably still too early to say otherwise. Then go by big town/small town feel with Hastings/Davis. Chances are you'll do equally well in both so it just matters how much your personal happiness is affected by your surroundings and if you want to walk to your externships or drive to them during the school year.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 am

ipod wrote:Oh, and they curve to a B+ and don't rank. :) Irvine's lack of accreditation locks it out of some public interest/sector jobs/fairs, but since you want biglaw, it's no big deal. I did hear, though, that their 100+ OCI turnout last year was more than 50% public interest.


Getting biglaw from an unaccredited Cali school is no big deal!!! ITE is over!!!

User avatar
rubbersoul89
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby rubbersoul89 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:16 am

I don't have much advice, but I think that Davis is a safe and smart option. I'm also choosing between a few of these schools and am leaning strongly in that direction (so not unbiased either). What I like about Davis is that in addition to the law school you get the small town community and feel. And you can ride your bike anywhere around town. Not sure if this helps, but I don't think that choosing Davis would be a risky decision at all.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Metaread » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

ipod, are you a current UC Irvine student?

Getting biglaw from an unaccredited Cali school is no big deal!!! ITE is over!!!

What is ITE? Forgive my ignorance. :)

I don't have much advice, but I think that Davis is a safe and smart option. I'm also choosing between a few of these schools and am leaning strongly in that direction (so not unbiased either). What I like about Davis is that in addition to the law school you get the small town community and feel. And you can ride your bike anywhere around town. Not sure if this helps, but I don't think that choosing Davis would be a risky decision at all.

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping for more from other users too. Follow-up q on your point about Davis, rubbersoul: I'm a bit suspicious of Davis' rapid rise in the rankings in the past 2 years (cynics at TLS say employment stat manipulation is responsible). What do you think of Davis employment wise? What makes it a safe and smart option?

Irvine does seem to lean a lot towards public rather than BigLaw. Which is a concern. But the teacher: student ratio and the attention they get seem awesome. Curve seems...generous. Which isn't bad for an as-yet unaccredited. And Irvine will require a lot of ambition and personal initiative due to its lack of an alumni base to draw on, I suppose.

I'm curious as to why no one picked Emory. I guess its drop in rankings is responsible, or maybe my post about misgivings in the parent post. I wish I could say it was safe, but that employment stat worries me even though they seem to have decent (though not amazing) NE reach.

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Metaread » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:03 am

So...why are so many voting for Davis? It doesn't place many of its grads in the best Big Law firms, as far as I can see...fewer than Emory anyway, percentage wise. Is the new King Hall that great?

(Again, sorry for the double post. But I would like more input to make an informed decision.)

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 am

Metaread wrote:So...why are so many voting for Davis? It doesn't place many of its grads in the best Big Law firms, as far as I can see...fewer than Emory anyway, percentage wise. Is the new King Hall that great?

(Again, sorry for the double post. But I would like more input to make an informed decision.)

This year's rankings probably have nothing (read: everything) to do with it.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:05 am

Metaread wrote:So...why are so many voting for Davis? It doesn't place many of its grads in the best Big Law firms, as far as I can see...fewer than Emory anyway, percentage wise. Is the new King Hall that great?

(Again, sorry for the double post. But I would like more input to make an informed decision.)


Your chances at getting BigLaw from any of these schools is not great (I'd guess somewhere between 10-20%). SF is a particularly competitive market and ATL has been decimated. I don't know about UCI in the LA/OCI area; it's kind of a risk (although at least they will be accredited this summer - I think), but it's your only SoCal option if you want SoCal.

If I were you, I'd visit the three CA schools or even just UCD/UCH if you are from the Bay area and don't want SoCal and then decide from there. Just know your chances at a BigFirm job are low unless you get top grades. You have to go to a school where you would be comfortable graduating with median grades rather than thinking of which one would place best if you are at the top.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 am

keg411 wrote:
Metaread wrote:So...why are so many voting for Davis? It doesn't place many of its grads in the best Big Law firms, as far as I can see...fewer than Emory anyway, percentage wise. Is the new King Hall that great?

(Again, sorry for the double post. But I would like more input to make an informed decision.)


Your chances at getting BigLaw from any of these schools is not great (I'd guess somewhere between 10-20%). SF is a particularly competitive market and ATL has been decimated. I don't know about UCI in the LA/OCI area; it's kind of a risk (although at least they will be accredited this summer - I think), but it's your only SoCal option if you want SoCal.

If I were you, I'd visit the three CA schools or even just UCD/UCH if you are from the Bay area and don't want SoCal and then decide from there. Just know your chances at a BigFirm job are low unless you get top grades. You have to go to a school where you would be comfortable graduating with median grades rather than thinking of which one would place best if you are at the top.

SF is a hard market to break coming from a national school with no ties. SF is not a particularly hard market to break into from Davis or Hastings. In fact, most of us end up working there or nearby.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

I was talking about SF BigLaw since that's what OP talked about as a career goal.

User avatar
minky
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby minky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm in the process of deciding between a few of these schools as well (Davis, Hastings and Emory) and I am really leaning toward Davis. I agree with the other ppl on this site, you will most likely get Biglaw only if you are in the top of the class, so don't chose a school based on that assumption alone. Maybe I'm being naive but I believe Davis is on the rise while Hastings seems to be stagnant or on the decline, plus every student I've spoken with seems to love Davis (not so much w/Hastings). I'm a bit biased against Emory since I plan to stay in CA when I graduate. I'm also leaning toward Davis because I like to small town feel....I'm not a big fan of the city. So I guess just visit and see which school you like the best.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 pm

minky wrote:I'm in the process of deciding between a few of these schools as well (Davis, Hastings and Emory) and I am really leaning toward Davis. I agree with the other ppl on this site, you will most likely get Biglaw only if you are in the top of the class, so don't chose a school based on that assumption alone. Maybe I'm being naive but I believe Davis is on the rise while Hastings seems to be stagnant or on the decline, plus every student I've spoken with seems to love Davis (not so much w/Hastings). I'm a bit biased against Emory since I plan to stay in CA when I graduate. I'm also leaning toward Davis because I like to small town feel....I'm not a big fan of the city. So I guess just visit and see which school you like the best.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

minky wrote:I'm in the process of deciding between a few of these schools as well (Davis, Hastings and Emory) and I am really leaning toward Davis. I agree with the other ppl on this site, you will most likely get Biglaw only if you are in the top of the class, so don't chose a school based on that assumption alone. Maybe I'm being naive but I believe Davis is on the rise while Hastings seems to be stagnant or on the decline, plus every student I've spoken with seems to love Davis (not so much w/Hastings). I'm a bit biased against Emory since I plan to stay in CA when I graduate. I'm also leaning toward Davis because I like to small town feel....I'm not a big fan of the city. So I guess just visit and see which school you like the best.


yup

User avatar
minky
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby minky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Borhas wrote:
minky wrote:I'm in the process of deciding between a few of these schools as well (Davis, Hastings and Emory) and I am really leaning toward Davis. I agree with the other ppl on this site, you will most likely get Biglaw only if you are in the top of the class, so don't chose a school based on that assumption alone. Maybe I'm being naive but I believe Davis is on the rise while Hastings seems to be stagnant or on the decline, plus every student I've spoken with seems to love Davis (not so much w/Hastings). I'm a bit biased against Emory since I plan to stay in CA when I graduate. I'm also leaning toward Davis because I like to small town feel....I'm not a big fan of the city. So I guess just visit and see which school you like the best.


yup



unfortunately i cannot predict the future but it is something to think about

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 pm

you may be naive, but you can predict the future

a reasonable prediction would be grounded in past experience and logic. Look up schools that are "on the rise" and see if their employment prospects improved after a rise. You can find some data in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=150362&start=25

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Not naive. The rankings jump/fall re: Davis, Hastings, Emory reflect changing post-grad prospects out of these schools. Everybody knows how bad Emory is doing. While still highly regarded in the Bay Area, Hastings tuition is through the roof and their large alumni base can't accommodate every student's 6 figure debt (which they all have because Hastings gives so little scholly $$). Davis does not have these problems, and while its rankings jump is not itself reason to choose it over these other options, it is your safest option. Choose Davis, they will probably offer some $ anyway and make this decision that much more obvious for you.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Additionally, please ignore the votes for UC Irvine. Sure it projects to be a strong school. If you go there you will be on your own for job hunting. I don't see any argument for Irvine unless COA is FREE. And for you it isn't.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Not naive. The rankings jump/fall re: Davis, Hastings, Emory reflect changing post-grad prospects out of these schools. Everybody knows how bad Emory is doing.


I have no idea how this argument relates to shifts in rankings

=====


UCH/UCD job prospects are pretty much identical and have been for many years. Choose based location and $$. Everything else will probably mislead you.

Go to Emory if you'd rather work in GA than CA. If you rather work in CA, then rule out Emory.... also probably best to rule out UCI. 1/3 scholarship not enough to warrant risk.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby thegreatk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I applied to Davis, Hastings, Irvine. I've been accepted to Irvine and Hastings while still waiting on Davis.

Personally, I believe Irvine blows the other two out of the water, since quality of professors is the biggest factor in my decision. Add the 1/3 scholarship, gorgeous weather, a student body that seems overwhelmingly passionate, a more cooperative atmosphere, and the fact that Irvine could eventually be a T-20 institution down the road, and it becomes the clear winner in my mind.

Truthfully, (and the TLS hivemind may call me crazy), I'm also still waiting on USC and UCLA, and I'm nearly convinced that I'd choose Irvine over both.

I could never live in the south, so I've got nothing to tell you about Emory.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby thegreatk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Additionally, please ignore the votes for UC Irvine. Sure it projects to be a strong school. If you go there you will be on your own for job hunting. I don't see any argument for Irvine unless COA is FREE. And for you it isn't.


Do more research on that claim yourself, OP. You may find that it's untrue.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm

It's reasonable to assume Davis is "on the rise" given the changes in rankings. 1-2 years of USNews are hardly the end-all, be-all, but if you're choosing between D and H and don't have a strong reason to want to be in SF, why wouldn't you go with the higher ranked option? Hastings is a fine school, but it's not the one I'd pick right now.

That said, I think the "Hastings is a sinking ship" stuff is a little silly and mainly stems from the fact that UCH was a top-20 school in the 80s. It's ALWAYS been regarded as a solid T1 school and will continue to be.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine or Emory?

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 pm

No to emory, you don't want to live in Georgia when California is the alternative.

Biglaw prospects are probably the same out of UCH, UCD (Top 10%-15% is generous based on 2010 OCI). I think your prospects may be similar out of UCI. Yes, they push a hard non-profit message and focus efforts there, but most law schools claim to be "non-profit" lawyer factories even as they charge exorbitant tuition that prevents many from going into the non-profit field. I think UCI is positioned to be a T30-T50 so I don't think your Biglaw odds will be that different, although location will be hugely different. UCI if you want SoCal, either UCH or UCD for Norcal. You'll have degree mobility in CA with UCH or UCD but it will be harder to get socal.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest