Emory Drops to 30

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Peg

Re: Emory Drops to 30

Postby Peg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 am

flcath wrote:Their (extraordinarily slow) admissions communication--including the fact that no one was available to talk to me the first 4 times I called--prevented me from ever being able to consider Emory when I was going through.

By the time I got their (very generous and competitive) scholarship, I already had to commit elsewhere.

Yeah, this initially annoyed me as well, but the staff I spoke to were so polite and accommodating (Southern good manners, something a few of my east coast schools would benefit from), and the Dean seemed so friendly, that I couldn't help but feel bad for them when they dropped rankings - especially when they sent a rankings-damage control email out on Tuesday to all admitted applicants.

I'm 90% sure I'm not going to go to Emory (the scholly they gave me didn't compete with their peer schools and like everyone else, I'm not confident with their OCI), but I feel pretty soft-hearted towards them because they come across so friendly and warm.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 am

It's quite sad, yes. Here's to hoping their rankings rise in future years.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 am

I think Emory's wounds were somewhat salved by the fact that UGA got hosed also.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:43 am

It's the Atlanta economy, I guess. Still, given that Emory places around 22% in the NE, you'd think the employment stat would be at least a bit higher.

Lav1289

Postby Lav1289 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 am

Weirdly enough, I applied there after they waived my fee, and they sent me the "damage control" email even though they haven't admitted me yet! Bizarre. Doesn't make me think too highly of them right now, though I am a bit skeptical about the rankings from 20-50 anyway. The differences between schools at that level seem minute.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

Lav1289 wrote:Weirdly enough, I applied there after they waived my fee, and they sent me the "damage control" email even though they haven't admitted me yet! Bizarre. Doesn't make me think too highly of them right now, though I am a bit skeptical about the rankings from 20-50 anyway. The differences between schools at that level seem minute.

I got that as well without being admitted yet and it just reeks of desperation by emory

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 am

justhockey31 wrote:
Lav1289 wrote:Weirdly enough, I applied there after they waived my fee, and they sent me the "damage control" email even though they haven't admitted me yet! Bizarre. Doesn't make me think too highly of them right now, though I am a bit skeptical about the rankings from 20-50 anyway. The differences between schools at that level seem minute.

I got that as well without being admitted yet and it just reeks of desperation by emory

Same here... stinky cologne...stinky cologne.

I prefer schools to pretend they don't care about the rankings, even if they clearly do.

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Supposedly

"Emory’s move to No. 30 may be directly attributed to a change in the methodology U.S. News uses to calculate employment statistics. For example, under this new methodology, our graduates who chose to pursue further graduate education after law school were deemed unemployed. The employment numbers for the 2012 rankings are based on statistics from the Class of 2009. Our full employment report for this class is located here: http://www.law.emory.edu/career-service ... stics.html.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:57 pm

It is quite worrying that the Dean's email came off sounding a bit less strong and inspiring than I hoped it would be. It sounded more like what it was, a damage control email. I don't fault him for that, but I had hoped he'd have more to say about the employment statistics that would be convincing.....the main damage to Emory here is that of perception, and even with Emory's established rep I think the school might take a hit. Is anyone else who is an admitted student reconsidering/deeply mulling their plans to go to Emory because of this?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:34 pm

I couldnt care less. Im actually more interested in attending if its indeed true that this dean did not succumb to the unscrupulous employment documentation practices of peer schools. I personally applaud him for that and feel confident that we wont be further duped. Check out emory threads written by current and former emory students. they are very encouraging. I cant wait to attend. Emory is and will continue to be a great southern school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 pm

drummerboy wrote:I couldnt care less. Im actually more interested in attending if its indeed true that this dean did not succumb to the unscrupulous employment documentation practices of peer schools. I personally applaud him for that and feel confident that we wont be further duped. Check out emory threads written by current and former emory students. they are very encouraging. I cant wait to attend. Emory is and will continue to be a great southern school.

Uh. You think Emory is totally honest with employment info? That 65% number could be them inflating it. I've seen nothing showing that they're more honest than peer schools.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

i doubt theres inflation. were not talking about some trashy no name school for gods sake. the economy sucks 90% for others is highly unlikely. Lets be clear, Emory is a great school period. I dont care about USNEWS

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

ballpop wrote:Supposedly

"Emory’s move to No. 30 may be directly attributed to a change in the methodology U.S. News uses to calculate employment statistics. For example, under this new methodology, our graduates who chose to pursue further graduate education after law school were deemed unemployed. The employment numbers for the 2012 rankings are based on statistics from the Class of 2009. Our full employment report for this class is located here: http://www.law.emory.edu/career-service ... stics.html.

What exactly does "set" mean in the percentage of graduates employed or set 9 months out? Anyone from Emory care to weigh in on this?

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Could someone please explain what is meant by "problems with their OCI"? Is it just that not enough firms come to recruit, or is there some other kind of problem? thanks

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
drummerboy wrote:I couldnt care less. Im actually more interested in attending if its indeed true that this dean did not succumb to the unscrupulous employment documentation practices of peer schools. I personally applaud him for that and feel confident that we wont be further duped. Check out emory threads written by current and former emory students. they are very encouraging. I cant wait to attend. Emory is and will continue to be a great southern school.

Uh. You think Emory is totally honest with employment info? That 65% number could be them inflating it. I've seen nothing showing that they're more honest than peer schools.

For one, Emory doesn't give bar stipends to unemployed graduates, thereby reporting them as employed at graduation.

Have you looked?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Robespierre wrote:Could someone please explain what is meant by "problems with their OCI"? Is it just that not enough firms come to recruit, or is there some other kind of problem? thanks

there was an ATL article about how Emory had like 5 firms at 3L OCI (because it's 3L OCI, which blows everywhere), and through the telephone game this has come to represent 2L OCI

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:15 am

fatduck wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Could someone please explain what is meant by "problems with their OCI"? Is it just that not enough firms come to recruit, or is there some other kind of problem? thanks

there was an ATL article about how Emory had like 5 firms at 3L OCI (because it's 3L OCI, which blows everywhere), and through the telephone game this has come to represent 2L OCI

I have several friends at Emory, and I've pretty much heard that their 2L OCI was no worse than anywhere else's in that range (which is not to say that it went swimmingly). They're both 1Ls, so take that with a grain of salt, but what I've heard hasn't matched the TLS stories.

3L OCI is, of course, primarily conducted for sadistic entertainment value.

Bear in mind that Emory tends to have a paucity of TLS apologists relative to other schools, so you often only get one side of the story re: ELS.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 am

Im actually more interested in attending if its indeed true that this dean did not succumb to the unscrupulous employment documentation practices of peer schools. I personally applaud him for that and feel confident that we wont be further duped.

Naive. The Dean's message didn't say anything about this. He/she blamed U.S. news for the drop, pointed out that the school had a high respectability ranking among hiring partners, then in the same breath, explained that the drop was because less hiring partners were hiring Emory grads. Oy.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:41 am

flcath wrote:
fatduck wrote:

I have several friends at Emory, and I've pretty much heard that their 2L OCI was no worse than anywhere else's in that range (which is not to say that it went swimmingly). They're both 1Ls, so take that with a grain of salt, but what I've heard hasn't matched the TLS stories.

Bear in mind that Emory tends to have a paucity of TLS apologists relative to other schools, so you often only get one side of the story re: ELS.

To be fair, any school that's currently getting attacked as much as Emory is right now is going to have apologists come out defending it. It's a natural reflex.

That being said, here was Emory's OCI this year if anyone is curious, Emory has a decentralized OCI program for each major city.

Atlanta
New York
DC (lol 3 firms)
Chicago
Boston
So Cal

The total comes to (If I counted correctly?) 73 firms, not including resume collects. Not an apocalypse, given the economy, but certainly not great.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:44 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
flcath wrote:
fatduck wrote:

To be fair, any school that's currently getting attacked as much as Emory is right now is going to have apologists come out defending it. It's a natural reflex.

That being said, here was Emory's OCI this year if anyone is curious, Emory has a decentralized OCI program for each major city.

Atlanta
New York
DC (lol 3 firms)
Chicago
Boston
So Cal

The total comes to (If I counted correctly?) 73 firms, not including resume collects. Not an apocalypse, given the economy, but certainly not great.

73 firms is fairly similar to what we had as ND (if it's "unique firms," then it's a little higher; if it's "employers," which double counts different offices of the same firm, then it's a little lower). Again, not to say it's great, but it isn't out of character of a school in the 20's.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 am

flcath wrote:73 firms is fairly similar to what we had as ND (if it's "unique firms," then it's a little higher; if it's "employers," which double counts different offices of the same firm, then it's a little lower). Again, not to say it's great, but it isn't out of character of a school in the 20's.

I didn't differentiate offices, so a little lower. I definitely wouldn't be surprised at all if Emory got hit harder relative to it's peers for next years NLJ data, simply because Atlanta did get hit almost the hardest of any of the bigger markets. Emory's Atlanta OCI dropped from 61 to 29 firms from 2008 to 2009 as a result of it, and then stayed at 29 for 2010.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 am

flcath wrote:73 firms is fairly similar to what we had as ND (if it's "unique firms," then it's a little higher; if it's "employers," which double counts different offices of the same firm, then it's a little lower). Again, not to say it's great, but it isn't out of character of a school in the 20's.

I didn't differentiate offices, so a little lower. I definitely wouldn't be surprised at all if Emory got hit harder relative to it's peers for next years NLJ data, simply because Atlanta did get hit almost the hardest of any of the bigger markets. Emory's Atlanta OCI dropped from 61 to 29 firms from 2008 to 2009 as a result of it, and then stayed at 29 for 2010.

I don't think recent events should play a major role in one's assessment of Emory.

It's the same as it was: strong southern school with a significant NYC contingent. Kind of an ugly school, IMO, though, esp. compared to the med school.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:05 am

flcath wrote:

I don't think recent events should play a major role in one's assessment of Emory.

It's the same as it was: strong southern school with a significant NYC contingent. Kind of an ugly school, IMO, though, esp. compared to the med school.

Agreed on all counts.

I want to take classes in the med school...

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 am

flcath wrote:

Agreed on all counts.

I want to take classes in the med school...

It's really becoming Emory's signature program, too. Very, very nice.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 am

Further q about Emory OCI: Is it the kind where the employers choose whom they want to inteview (and they all end up interviewing the same few people at the top of the class)? Or is it the kind where employers have to interview whomever they're told to (much preferable)?

Sorry for the dumb q; I'm a 0L first learning about OCI.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”