Florida State vs Tennessee Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigOrange23

New

Florida State vs Tennessee

Post by BigOrange23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:35 pm

FSU offered 25k, looking at around 30k in debt total.
Tennessee (in state) offered 15k, looking at 15k debt total.

I was raised right outside of Knoxville, attended UT for undergrad. Big Vols fan my whole life, and know Knoxville like the back of my hand.

My background is in Sports. I have worked within the athletic department and have been working at a sports agency for two years. i may potentially have an opportunity at a GA position within the UT AD that would cover tuition and would seal the decision. I basically y have a job lined up as an agent if I want it, especially if I sat in Knoxville. I could also go work anywhere in the business/legal side of professional sports, so that is my fall back.

I have always wanted to get into politics, and have interned with Senator Corker. Tallahassee is the perfect fit in this respect. I visited the campus for Academic Scholars day and was blown away. They have been great throughout the process.

I know I want to study abroad my 2L year. I want to pursue international law or digital intellectual property, with contracts (for sports) being my fall back.

I am also considering a JD/MBA, and would probably pursue this if I stayed in Knoxville.

I keep flip flopping on my decision, and need some input. All my friends and family are in knoxville, which could be a distraction, but would also be comfortable. If I go to FSU i can fully apply myself, but risk being miserable. What are the pro/con of each?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Florida State vs Tennessee

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

This is easy, UT without question.

You have a lot of sure things with UT and you have no connections with FSU. this economy is no joke, go with UT. your shot of getting into politics out of FSU is slim to none; seems like you have a better chance with UT anyway.

BigOrange23

New

Post by BigOrange23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 am

bump?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 am

This is a bad economy, if you say you have a solid backup job in sports law if you go to UT and like the area I would take that in a heartbeat.

cholza00

New

Post by cholza00 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 am

Ya you go UT and don't think twice about it...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am

BarbellDreams wrote:This is a bad economy, if you say you have a solid backup job in sports law if you go to UT and like the area I would take that in a heartbeat.
TIC, and I'm probably heading to Tally in the fall.

BigOrange23

New

Post by BigOrange23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

cholza00 wrote:Ya you go UT and don't think twice about it...
my problem is I have thought about it 200 times, not just twice.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am

Considering the debt load, UT is the best option. If you end up getting the GA position and your tuition waived, consider how awesome that really is; essentially it's a full ride. You many hear about others getting full rides on TLS often, but in the whole spectrum of things, it's very rare. When considering political opportunities, UT is the best option b/c there are 3 Congressional offices right next door to UT and if you ever run for public office, it'll be a huge plus that you stayed in TN all these years. As for family and friends being a distraction, that's up to you. They should know how important it is for you to do well in law school and therefore not bother you too much during important times in the semester. So if they can do that, it's really up to you to be disciplined and focus on your school work. Your familiarity and background with Knoxville is def be a huge plus when you're looking for summer internships and a job. Plus, you would be able to help out all the kids who come in with no knowledge of Knoxville and being able to do that is really big b/c you're networking without even trying.

BigOrange23

New

Post by BigOrange23 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 am

Florida State has hinted it is about to raise my scholarship offer. Meanwhile, I have a meeting with the Dean of UT law who has offered to be a personal mentor to me (thanks to a connection from my work at a sports agency under an adjunct professor). Does this change anything either way?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 am

Go with the connects, man. I, like you, fucking loved Tallahassee and everything FSU has done throughout the application process, which is why I am going there. But if you sincerely think that these connections are legit, keep it close to home and play it safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”