iowa v. miami.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

iowa v. miami?

iowa
31%
miami
69%

Total votes: 16

bookofcarpetsamples

iowa v. miami.

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:39 pm

i'm still waiting on some financial aid, but as of now the coa for both schools will be about the same.

- i do not want to practice in iowa.
- i could definitely practice in florida, but open to other markets (ie, i'd like to stay here, but the market is crappy in sofla and my boyfriend's job could be portable to several other major markets where i'd be happy - namely cali, texas, chicago, nj).
- i grew up in iowa and my whole family and a lot of old friends are there.
- i currently live in palm beach.
- my boyfriend also lives in palm beach and could, but wouldn't want to, move to iowa. even if i go to miami, we'd have separate places but i could easily drive to palm beach from miami to see him at any point.
- i could get in state tuition at iowa 2L and 3L. there's a chance 1L, since my parents are still there, but i haven't pushed on this yet (just seems messy, and i'd rather not get my parents involved if i can avoid it).
- oh yeah, and florida weather is way better than iowa.

is it worth going with the higher ranked school in a market i don't want to practice in?

Justathought

Re: iowa v. miami.

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:is it worth going with the higher ranked school in a market i don't want to practice in?

No. However S. Florida is a mess right now from everything I've heard. Are you getting any money at Miami? I can't figure it out if your calculations are based on sticker now, or scholarship at Miami and in-state at Iowa for 2L and 3L.

If you got the 24k deal at Miami, I'd go there, since that's where you want to practice.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm

If you don't want to practice and live in Iowa, don't go to Iowa. Hopefully you have some scholarship at Miami.

Good luck!

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Both are regional and attract at least some high profile out of state competition.

If your boyfriend has to leave FL to work in another state that is not Iowa, you are pretty much screwed from either school.

Also note that neither is worth a lot of debt. If you have to pass the $100,000 mark in debt for one of these schools and not for the other school, attend the cheaper one. If they both pass the $100,000 mark, consider retaking. If you receive scholarships from both that make the cost of them equal, go with where you would prefer to live.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Did you apply to other law schools ?

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Did you apply to other law schools ?

i only applied to other florida schools. applied to iowa on a whim because my family is there and i like the school/area (just not for long-term). i didn't get into the other schools.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Really you should retake and reapply next year. Take a year off and spend some quality time with your boyfriend, retake the LSAT, and get into UF or FSU.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 pm

RockyIII wrote:Really you should retake and reapply next year. Take a year off and spend some quality time with your boyfriend, retake the LSAT, and get into UF or FSU.

Agree. In your OP, your first line stated "I do not want to practice in Iowa". That line should tell you right there that you shouldn't even be considering attending Iowa.

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:Agree. In your OP, your first line stated "I do not want to practice in Iowa". That line should tell you right there that you shouldn't even be considering attending Iowa.

right - but only 28% of the 2009 graduates from iowa are actually employed within the state of iowa. obviously iowa doesn't have the best national presence, but it has enough recognition to get graduates plenty of jobs outside the state. i would even venture to guess that most of that 28% actually wants to stay in iowa.

i'm not saying iowa grads will compete well in ny and dc, or even south florida, but i'm wondering if the reach it does have would be worth more than being stuck in miami (i think something like 80% of miami grads stay in the south atlantic region...but i didn't see florida specific numbers).

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:
right - but only 28% of the 2009 graduates from iowa are actually employed within the state of iowa. obviously iowa doesn't have the best national presence, but it has enough recognition to get graduates plenty of jobs outside the state. i would even venture to guess that most of that 28% actually wants to stay in iowa.

i'm not saying iowa grads will compete well in ny and dc, or even south florida, but i'm wondering if the reach it does have would be worth more than being stuck in miami (i think something like 80% of miami grads stay in the south atlantic region...but i didn't see florida specific numbers).

I would say that Iowa does well in nearby states, and does not have a "national" reach. Obviously Iowa is ranked higher than Miami, but I think Iowa would have just as hard a time finding a job in Miami as Miami would have finding a job in Iowa.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”