Texas, Vandy, or try again for T14? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Take the money and run?

Texas (cost: $10k/yr)
51%
Vanderbilt (cost: $20k/yr)
19%
Re-apply for 2012 admission and try to break T14
31%

Total votes: 81

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Texas, Vandy, or try again for T14?

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Depends on what you want. Also, how much is money an issue? If money is an issue, than UT or UM would be the best bets in terms of money with trade offs for mobility. If you don't care about money, still reapply, but ED to CLS or UC, depending on your preferences.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Texas and T-14 are now one in the same :)

die Zauberflote

Bronze

Post by die Zauberflote » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm 3.7, 171 non-urm who's also a paralegal. I transferred twice and have a sketchy background, and I got a large scholarship to Michigan.

Something was wrong with your PS or one of your recommenders sandbagged you. I'd sit this one out and re-apply.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 pm

The poster said they didn't like 1) competition, 2) cold weather, and 3) large cities. They would also like to work on the West Coast.

This means that CCN are all out of the picture. They didn't apply to HYS for some reason but it's still surprising to be completely shut out of the T-14 schools.

If you don't like all 3 considerations above it's difficult to go to a T14. Cornell -- but it's cold, HYS -- but their impossible to get into, etc

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Snape wrote:Texas and T-14 are now one in the same :)
Why take a year off for T14, if you have one available to you now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 pm

you might wanna try to take a year off and reapply blanketing the top 20. you might get into better places and you might end up with more $$ at some of them. i doubt you do this and get no offers with your stats. catch is you have to wait a year (but this might not be a catch but could be helpful depending on how you spend you year off).

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Reapply man you can do better, if you're cool with sticker ED at MVB (assuming you don't wanna go to the big cities)

charliebrownwn

New

Post by charliebrownwn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 pm

kapital98 wrote:The poster said they didn't like 1) competition, 2) cold weather, and 3) large cities. They would also like to work on the West Coast.

This means that CCN are all out of the picture.
Yeah this is where I was coming from. Though TBH, west coast is just an idea at this point, I would be happy with something with a national reach.

HYS are out of the picture for me, though I'll probably apply to stanford since they have holistic tendencies. CCN get knocked off from the above reasons, and so does northwestern, penn, and GULC. Cornell is just too damn cold and tends to funnel to NY, but I had to give Michigan a shot b/c its so national. So I ended with Berkeley, Mich, UVa (which I should have applied to), and Duke (eliminated based on location).

If I reapply, I'll probably hit SMVB, plus vandy, texas, and UCLA. Michigan and UVa have ED options, but I've visited neither so I'm hesitant to take that step. And nearly-free UT is still getting a really strong look for this cycle. The poll seems to be leaning that way FWIW.

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:
kapital98 wrote:The poster said they didn't like 1) competition, 2) cold weather, and 3) large cities. They would also like to work on the West Coast.

This means that CCN are all out of the picture.
Yeah this is where I was coming from. Though TBH, west coast is just an idea at this point, I would be happy with something with a national reach.

HYS are out of the picture for me, though I'll probably apply to stanford since they have holistic tendencies. CCN get knocked off from the above reasons, and so does northwestern, penn, and GULC. Cornell is just too damn cold and tends to funnel to NY, but I had to give Michigan a shot b/c its so national. So I ended with Berkeley, Mich, UVa (which I should have applied to), and Duke (eliminated based on location).

If I reapply, I'll probably hit SMVB, plus vandy, texas, and UCLA. Michigan and UVa have ED options, but I've visited neither so I'm hesitant to take that step. And nearly-free UT is still getting a really strong look for this cycle. The poll seems to be leaning that way FWIW.

I definitely understand not wanting to go to CCN for those reasons, but you may want to still apply in order to use them as potential leverage (especially if you get fee waivers).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”