Wake Forest ($$) VS Rutgers ($S) VS UGA (possibly in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spookyt27

Wake Forest ($$) VS Rutgers ($S) VS UGA (possibly in-state)

Postby spookyt27 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:58 am

First off, thanks to everyone - this forum has been amazing throughout applying to law schools! Anyways I'm down to 3 choices (my cheapest!!), which all cost me about the same, when I count for scholarships and cost of living. My girlfriend is in grad school in nyc, so I would love to be in the city with her, but I also want to go to go to the best school that will give me the best job in this economy, so I want to weigh all my options. I haven't decided what type of law I want to do yet - I'd love to work in a DA's office, but to pay the bills, I'd like Big Law to be an option.

Obviously, I know Wake and UGA are better regional schools - do they have any reach outside of the states? Would it be foolish to go there without being 100% sure I want to work in Atlanta or NC? How bad is Rutgers? Would it be foolish to go to Rutgers just to be in the city, when I got into tier 1 schools that cost the same?

thanks in advance

mez06

Re: Wake Forest ($$) VS Rutgers ($S) VS UGA (possibly in-state)

Postby mez06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm

If you want to work in NY/NJ, then I'd personally go to Rutgers. I'd imagine WF degree could travel a bit if you have ties in NY/NJ but being realistic, there aren't any up north firms that recruit at Wake. That'd be solely on you. So if you're saying you DON'T want to practice in the south what so ever, I'd take Rutgers.

spookyt27

Postby spookyt27 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'm worried that if I stay at Rutgers, I won't get a job. So I'd choose:
job in NYC > job in South > no job in NYC... if that makes sense.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 pm

spookyt27 wrote:First off, thanks to everyone - this forum has been amazing throughout applying to law schools! Anyways I'm down to 3 choices (my cheapest!!), which all cost me about the same, when I count for scholarships and cost of living. My girlfriend is in grad school in nyc, so I would love to be in the city with her, but I also want to go to go to the best school that will give me the best job in this economy, so I want to weigh all my options. I haven't decided what type of law I want to do yet - I'd love to work in a DA's office, but to pay the bills, I'd like Big Law to be an option.

Obviously, I know Wake and UGA are better regional schools - do they have any reach outside of the states? Would it be foolish to go there without being 100% sure I want to work in Atlanta or NC? How bad is Rutgers? Would it be foolish to go to Rutgers just to be in the city, when I got into tier 1 schools that cost the same?

thanks in advance

Rutgers is a far better option for NYC than the other two schools. Of course, you should be open to working in northern NJ too, which can pay market rates. Rutgers is also a very solid choice for the public sector in NJ and NY. In terms of private practice, I advise you to look at the number of associates working at big firms in NYC; its actually quite impressive for a school of its rank. Time and again, in my search, I see Rutgers overrepresented when compared to similar local schools. Still, the numbers are not daunting, its not like you're attending CLS, NYU, or Fordham. You will need to be in the top 15% for a chance at biglaw or the market paying equivalent.

With that being said, Wake and UGA are stronger options for the regions they serve. This is a life choice. Are you prepared to leave the GF in NY, and head off to law school with the possibility of never returning to the market? If you go to UGA or Wake your answer should be yes. Yes returning is possible, but far from certain.

I think given Rutgers connections to local government - you're interested a DAs office - and given their slight chance at Biglaw, it could be a compelling choice.

FYI: I'm in a similar boat. Choosing between Rutgers and SMU; also on the Iowa wait list. Haven't made up my mind yet, but I don't think attending Rutgers is a bad choice.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm a big Jersey apologist, but you're talking about Athens Georgia and UGA. Go to Georgia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”