. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
warandpeace

Bronze

Re: Extremely Hypothetical - Michigan

Post by warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 am

TheTopBloke wrote:I can't answer your GPA question accurately enough. But alternatively there's Pepperdine, Loyola, Southwestern, etc, etc.. There are A LOT of law schools in california. What turns you off UCLA/USC?

I'm still waiting on four or five schools to decide on my apps before I even think about making a decision. I'm certainly in no hurry anymore. Some of these apps have been out there since mid November.
no no no i won't go to any schools under usc...but i can't talk so big unless i nail the lsat.

idk is there any point in applying to stanford/ucb if i eventually have a 3.6/170+? but i guess that's irrelevant because i want entertainment law. i guess i HAVE to go to usc/ucla.

california is just boring right now, idk.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 am

TheTopBloke wrote:I paid for UCLA and Pepperdine apps, just got rejected by UCLA a couple of days ago. Oh well. Everything else out there is on fee waiver, and to be honest I can't even remember. each one was in a different state.

FYi, I even had a fee waiver in Alabama, so I applied, and the school actually withdrew my application without my knowledge. They probably think I'd be too dangerous with a JD.
sorry about ucla :/ what are your stats like?

alabama is trying to tame you.

mich 13

New

Post by mich 13 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 am

Its not stupid to think you can go to UM and get a firm job in CA your second summer. But if you're banking on getting any firm job you're first summer, you might want to rethink your plan.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

mich 13 wrote:Its not stupid to think you can go to UM and get a firm job in CA your second summer. But if you're banking on getting any firm job you're first summer, you might want to rethink your plan.
yeah, i'm rethinking :/

convenience > a new experience

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am

TheTopBloke wrote:No I don't attend Harvard. I have to change that. In fact I didn't even apply. I was so unimpressed with the alumni I was turned off of applying to that school.

I'm heavily biased against Michigan, or any other state so absurdly economically depressed.
1. Maybe you didn't apply to Harvard because you couldn't get in and didn't want to face certain rejection. You wouldn't get in to Michigan either.
2. Michigan's terrible economy in no way affects the law school.

Sorry, didn't just want to leave these things unsaid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am

michigan_man wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:No I don't attend Harvard. I have to change that. In fact I didn't even apply. I was so unimpressed with the alumni I was turned off of applying to that school.

I'm heavily biased against Michigan, or any other state so absurdly economically depressed.
1. Maybe you didn't apply to Harvard because you couldn't get in and didn't want to face certain rejection. You wouldn't get in to Michigan either.

i think his stats are a troll; i don't think those are actually his stats. i could be wrong.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

warandpeace wrote:
michigan_man wrote:

i think his stats are a troll; i don't think those are actually his stats. i could be wrong.
His actual stats - 160, 3.4

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:21 pm

warandpeace wrote:no no no i won't go to any schools under usc...but i can't talk so big unless i nail the lsat.

idk is there any point in applying to stanford/ucb if i eventually have a 3.6/170+? but i guess that's irrelevant because i want entertainment law. i guess i HAVE to go to usc/ucla.

california is just boring right now, idk.
Stanford, no, unless you are an URM. Berkeley, I think you would have a shot. I got in with a 3.62/179. Yeah, I think USC/UCLA is a better choice for entertainment law, but I am not sure if it is a good idea to choose a school based on that. There are plenty of people that want to do things like entertainment law and international law, and there are just not that many spots available.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 pm

If you get any good/solid information OP, let me know because I think I will be in a very similar situation to yours next cycle, as I also am dead set on LA, but have long odds at USC/UCLA but may have a shot at the lower T-14 (I'm a URM splitter).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”