Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 pm

I currently live about an hour away from Milwaukee, WI and I have been accepted to Marquette (as well as peer schools in Chicago, which I'm sure you can all figure out which they are), as well as Iowa.

I'm planning on going into patent law, and am currently finishing up my Masters in Biotech through Johns Hopkins. I plan on coming back on working in or around the Milwaukee area, but I may wind up back in Chicago (though I doubt it since I lived there for the first 17 yrs of my life and swore I'd never return).

So, which do you think is the wiser choice...the lower ranked school who is located right in the market in which I plan on working in (but only is known in this region), or the much better ranked school that is 3 hours away and is known to place pretty well in the midwest as a whole.

Note: I've visited both schools and really feel comfortable at both of them. Marquette's new building is absolutely amazing, and I like being so close to family and friends. At the same token, I immediately fell in love with Iowa's campus and its people-down to earth and caring indivduals that really want you to succeed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 pm

What's the situation with scholarships?

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 pm

fakemoney wrote:What's the situation with scholarships?


Marquette has an 11k/yr scholly with no stips and I am yet to hear back from Iowa. I am doubtful I will receive any merit based schollys since I am not really above their medians, so I guess my only hope would be need-based aid (doubt I'll get much, if any, with my luck).

I can get IS tuition for my 2L and 3L years, so after factoring that in for Iowa and the scholly in at Marquette, the cost difference would only be about 20k (more for Iowa). I do have the option to stay w my parents in Wisco if I go to Marquette. Not sure if this is really what I would do, but it would save me a ton on rent (duh), and I wouldn't have to worry about making/paying for food or laundry, which would be nice...

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 pm

It sounds like either option is pretty solid. I mean, from what I understand, Iowa has a very good reputation in the Midwest. But you're going to have a Masters from a nationally prestigious university in John Hopkins, so you may not need whatever clout Iowa might have. It sounds like you could save a lot of money going to Marquette, and it is located in the home market where you want to practice. So I think there's a strong case for Marquette, provided it has good connections in Milwaukee. I don't know much about the school to be honest.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Honestly I think you should go to Marquette. 11k with their tuition is pretty steep, but if retaking isn't an option and you're deadset in Milwaukee as your regional preference its not a terrible choice.

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 pm

fakemoney wrote:It sounds like either option is pretty solid. I mean, from what I understand, Iowa has a very good reputation in the Midwest. But you're going to have a Masters from a nationally prestigious university in John Hopkins, so you may not need whatever clout Iowa might have. It sounds like you could save a lot of money going to Marquette, and it is located in the home market where you want to practice. So I think there's a strong case for Marquette, provided it has good connections in Milwaukee. I don't know much about the school to be honest.


To be honest, this is what I've been thinking too. I know that Iowa would get me a job, no doubt, but it may not be necessary given the type of law I want to get into. And Wisco (I happen to think more so than most other states) remain ridiculously loyal to their own. So, I'm thinking along the same lines as you are, but man it will be hard to turn down an offer from such a great school that I would love to go to.

Thank you very much for your input! Much appreciated!!

BarbellDreams wrote:Honestly I think you should go to Marquette. 11k with their tuition is pretty steep, but if retaking isn't an option and you're deadset in Milwaukee as your regional preference its not a terrible choice.


Yeah retaking isn't really an option and I was actually surprised by 11k since they're kinda stingy with money. I'm just afraid if for some reason I end up not practicing IP and the science degree therefore doesnt matter much and it's all about the law school. Or if I end up in adifferent market. I mean I know I can't safeguard against all of these things, but I just keep going back and forth as to what's smart..

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 am

Have any information on how Marquette students are doing? I imagine they have to do alright in Milwaukee, but you never know, so I'd try and dig up as much information on that as you can.

If things aren't completely abysmal there, and if you plan on working in Milwaukee, then I would probably go with Marquette. Just kind of makes sense. Iowa is a great school, but don't fall in love with the higher ranking. The fact Marquette is in the city you would like to work means more, IMO, than the fact Iowa is ranked a bit higher. That said, you are correct that everyone at Iowa is awesome, nice, caring, awesome, incredibly smart, charming, attractive, and awesome. :wink:

I don't know how far your numbers are from the medians, but if they are close consider putting a deposit down at Iowa as well as Marquette anyway, because they have given out big scholarship packages late in the cycle in the past. You may be throwing some money away, but it may be worth it if they are doing a lot of full rides this cycle like last year. If you only had a shot at a little bit of money I'd probably say forget it, but if there is a chance you are bordering on "scholarship material" and people who are getting scholarships are getting full rides, then it is probably a good investment.

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 am

The only real info that I have on Marquette is by looking up the law firms and viewing their attorneys and looking to see which ones were hired in the past few years. When I have looked up these larger law firms, I am rather surprised at how many come from Iowa. Granted they aren't as prevelant as those from Marquette, but given that Iowa disperses their grads all over whereas Marquette basically stays in one little area, they seem to really hold their own. Otherwise, I know that the employment numbers as a whole aren't as good as Iowa's (and as we all know they aren't exactly the true numbers anyways), but I wouldn't think that I should have a problem getting work in IP given that I have a Masters (one would hope, right?).
I am going to both the ASW for the schools and I do plan on putting a deposit down at both so that I can bide time on my decision as well as wait out any potentail scholly info. I've already received a nice need-based grant from one school, so maybe I can get lucky and end up with something of some form from Iowa (not totally counting on it, but here's to hoping!). Thanks so much for your input. I do think that you're probably right with Marquette...I'm just having a hard time turning down a wonderful opportunity at Iowa where I know I'll love the people and the quality of education...
And I think that awesome being mentioned several times in the sentence must means that I was right in thinking that everyone from Iowa is absolutely awesome! :D

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am

If you absolutely want to stay in Milwaukee, go to Marquette. If you want portability choose Iowa. From my understanding, people who go to school at Marquette or Wisconsin don't have to take the Wisconsin bar upon graduation. Perhaps I'm totally off base on that lol, but I can swear that I heard that somewhere, so just something else to keep in mind if that's the case.




qhryder32 wrote:The only real info that I have on Marquette is by looking up the law firms and viewing their attorneys and looking to see which ones were hired in the past few years. When I have looked up these larger law firms, I am rather surprised at how many come from Iowa. Granted they aren't as prevelant as those from Marquette, but given that Iowa disperses their grads all over whereas Marquette basically stays in one little area, they seem to really hold their own. Otherwise, I know that the employment numbers as a whole aren't as good as Iowa's (and as we all know they aren't exactly the true numbers anyways), but I wouldn't think that I should have a problem getting work in IP given that I have a Masters (one would hope, right?).
I am going to both the ASW for the schools and I do plan on putting a deposit down at both so that I can bide time on my decision as well as wait out any potentail scholly info. I've already received a nice need-based grant from one school, so maybe I can get lucky and end up with something of some form from Iowa (not totally counting on it, but here's to hoping!). Thanks so much for your input. I do think that you're probably right with Marquette...I'm just having a hard time turning down a wonderful opportunity at Iowa where I know I'll love the people and the quality of education...
And I think that awesome being mentioned several times in the sentence must means that I was right in thinking that everyone from Iowa is absolutely awesome! :D

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am

It is true that if you go to school in Wisco and work there as well you do not have to take the bar. So no, you are not making that up lol. It is definitely something to consider. Thanks :)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Marquette, based on the info. shared in your posts.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 pm

I also think the masters in biotech is big in deciding where to go if you want to do IP. You are going to be in demand no matter where you go, so that is going to make a cheaper school even more attractive. Have you considered trying to negotiate the scholarship with Marquette?

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby alexb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:47 pm

:? I'd take Iowa.

E: Iowa will get you back to Milwaukee (especially if you already have ties) and make you more desirable to firms than any Marquette student graduating at a similar rank and, to some extent, even at a higher rank. You'll also be more competitive w/ graduates from UW.

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 pm

So is it actually true that the Masters in hard science will have that big of an impact? I've heard that becuase of the masters and the fact I want to get into IP means that law school rankings, and even how I do once I'm in law school, really don't matter that much. I personally find this hard to believe, but if it's true, then I guess it's true and will work to my advantage. Do you have any insight on this at all?

I also know that the main IP firms in Milwaukee go out to Iowa for OCI. I have also been told, however, that since I'm IP and have the extra degree that I will go about looking for jobs in a different manner...not quite sure what that means (a positive or a negavtive thing), but I do know that there are Iowa alum in Milwaukee firms that I would potentially work for. No doubt though that having them be in Marquette's back yard could potentially make things easier though..

I personally have not tried negotiating with Marquette, but I know several people who have made the attempt and suppossedly they say they are not willing to budge on offers no matter what. Perhaps if I tell them that I have a comparable offer at a school like Iowa, it would actually make a difference, I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

And the cost difference is really only abot 20k if I choose to not live with my parents. The potential cost savings if I were to live with them would be about 8k/yr, after factoring in gas and whatnot. I'm just not sure if I want to live with them or be out on my own (I do get along great with them, however).


Thank you so much again for your input..I'm really struggling with this one (in case you couldn't tell lol).

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 pm

alexb wrote::? I'd take Iowa.

E: Iowa will get you back to Milwaukee (especially if you already have ties) and make you more desirable to firms than any Marquette student graduating at a similar rank and, to some extent, even at a higher rank. You'll also be more competitive w/ graduates from UW.


I think that the point you make about Iowa being competitve with those from UW is valid, and is definitely something to consider. In looking at those that are hired at the firms, Madison definitely trumps Marquette. So the question there is, will they go for someone who is at a peer school to the one they hire the most from, or will they go for one that went to a much lesser ranked school but stayed local? Ugh why is this so difficult? lol

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm

I'd say Iowa, unless Wisconsin is an option?

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

jdfrisby wrote:I'd say Iowa, unless Wisconsin is an option?


Unfortunately Wisconsin flat out rejected me. I find it odd that I was accepted OOS at Iowa and WL'd at Minn and yet rejected from Madison with me being IS. Not being able to go there has really made the decision a difficult one...

qhryder32
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Which would you choose? Please give me your input!

Postby qhryder32 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Any other thoughts or opinions about this? Again, I really appreciate any input!!! Thanks!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddawg2020, Mhr and 3 guests