Non-T100 Schools: 3T and 4T Comments or Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheFactor

Re: Non-T100 Schools: 3T and 4T Comments or Questions

Postby TheFactor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 am

atlantisdan wrote:There is a need for legal skills that those from the more elite schools do not meet.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 am

TheFactor wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:There is a need for legal skills that those from the more elite schools do not meet.

To clarify, Those from elite schools are not likely to be practicing law in a 30k or less county or serving as public defenders or ADA's or mediating divorces in small rural cities.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am

And exactly how many lawyers do you think work in those kinds of places? It doesn't make sense for schools to have 150+ grads competing for 2 jobs in the boonies.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 am

Tennessee and Ole Miss probably aren't a bad idea if you're paying in state, and you're very cool with the idea of living in the state.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 am

mettasutta wrote:As a state flagship, Ole Miss is solid, even though it is technically third tier. It might be a poor idea if say, you're gunning for NYC BigLaw, but if you're from Mississippi and want to practice there, it's super cheap and places well within the state. The same goes for other state flagship schools in isolated markets like Montana, Idaho, Maine, North Dakota etc. Just because they are third tier doesn't mean that they are schools with terrible prospects. I take issue with TTT schools in over-saturated markets like NYLS that charge obscene tuition and offer dismal job opportunities.

atlantisdan wrote:Memphis and Ole Miss break about even as OOS tuition at OM drops after the first year. That said, OM is my preference but if - am not accepted or wait listed, I will choose Mercer and utilize the IBR program and Public Service Forgiveness program. It is likely that I would relocate some from a rural town to more of a mid sized city if I were to choose Private Practice.

Mercer has quite a bit of competition in Georgia. I think you would probably be fine in Macon or a rural town that you have connections in, but there are lots of good schools in the Southeast that kind of outshine Mercer. Just in the state of Georgia, you have Emory, UGA, and GA State. There is also John Marshall in Atlanta.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:46 am

Pricer wrote:
mettasutta wrote:As a state flagship, Ole Miss is solid, even though it is technically third tier. It might be a poor idea if say, you're gunning for NYC BigLaw, but if you're from Mississippi and want to practice there, it's super cheap and places well within the state. The same goes for other state flagship schools in isolated markets like Montana, Idaho, Maine, North Dakota etc. Just because they are third tier doesn't mean that they are schools with terrible prospects. I take issue with TTT schools in over-saturated markets like NYLS that charge obscene tuition and offer dismal job opportunities.

atlantisdan wrote:Memphis and Ole Miss break about even as OOS tuition at OM drops after the first year. That said, OM is my preference but if - am not accepted or wait listed, I will choose Mercer and utilize the IBR program and Public Service Forgiveness program. It is likely that I would relocate some from a rural town to more of a mid sized city if I were to choose Private Practice.

Mercer has quite a bit of competition in Georgia. I think you would
probably be fine in Macon or a rural town that you have connections in, but there are lots of good schools in the Southeast that kind of outshine Mercer. Just in the state of Georgia, you have Emory, UGA, and GA State. There is also John Marshall in Atlanta.

There are actually a lot of Attorneys in rural areas. I am from the boonies and am tied to this geographical area, heck tied to a 5 hour circle because of my family. I have 4 children, so I don t have the luxuary to move acrross the nation to compare schools. I have to choose from what is available here.

Having toured John Marshall in Atlanta, let me be very specific, it is not on par with even the lowest of 4T schools...I was very disappointed there and I had low expectations already. No offense, Just being honest.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 am

atlantisdan wrote:
Pricer wrote:

Mercer has quite a bit of competition in Georgia. I think you would
probably be fine in Macon or a rural town that you have connections in, but there are lots of good schools in the Southeast that kind of outshine Mercer. Just in the state of Georgia, you have Emory, UGA, and GA State. There is also John Marshall in Atlanta.

There are actually a lot of Attorneys in rural areas. I am from the boonies and am tied to this geographical area, heck tied to a 5 hour circle because of my family. I have 4 children, so I don t have the luxuary to move acrross the nation to compare schools. I have to choose from what is available here.

Having toured John Marshall in Atlanta, let me be very specific, it is not on par with even the lowest of 4T schools...I was very disappointed there and I had low expectations already. No offense, Just being honest.

If Emory and UGA grads are having a hardtime finding employment (on par with their drop in rankings), I'd imagine that Josh Marshall grads are much, much worse off.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm

atlantisdan wrote:
mettasutta wrote:OP, I perused your TLS profile, and of the three schools you are considering, I would immediately cross off Mercer, unless you received any scholarship money. ~$35,000 tuition is too high for a school of its caliber. If you're sure you don't want to retake, I would go with U of Memphis, since it is the cheapest for you as a TN resident.

Memphis and Ole Miss break about even as OOS tuition at OM drops after the first year. That said, OM is my preference but if - am not accepted or wait listed, I will choose Mercer and utilize the IBR program and Public Service Forgiveness program. It is likely that I would relocate some from a rural town to more of a mid sized city if I were to choose Private Practice.

If that's the case, than Ole Miss is preferable...it's the most reputable school in its state whereas U of Memphis has several higher-ranked competitors. Based on the numbers posted in your profile, you have a pretty decent shot. Good luck, and let us know when you get a decision!

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Congrats on Mercer, atlantisdan! Are you set on going there?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”