Non-T100 Schools: 3T and 4T Comments or Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
atlantisdan

Non-T100 Schools: 3T and 4T Comments or Questions

Postby atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I just thought that I would start a thread for people not necessarily headed to a top school but still heading to a good school.

So, Say where your going, where your considering, discuss your law school experience how ever you want.

Ill begin since I created the thread.

I am still considering Ole Miss, Mercer. Memphis but expect to have a decision very soon.

I visited these three as well as, Tennessee, Samford, MC Law, Belmont, Lincoln Memorial.

Hope that's a start...

RockyIII

Re: Non-T100 Schools: 3T and 4T Comments or Questions

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm

atlantisdan wrote: heading to a good school.

atlantisdan wrote:
Ole Miss, Mercer. Memphis , Tennessee, Samford, MC Law, Belmont, Lincoln Memorial.

lol

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 pm

RockyIII wrote: [douchey comment]

Maybe be less of a dick?

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm not saying I condone it, but to start this thread on TOP LAW SCHOOLS is asking for it. If you've spent 3 minutes on this site, then you know that.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm not necessarily degrading him for going to a lesser school, I was just poking fun at how he chose his words. If all these schools are "good" then there is nothing left to distinguish good from bad. Unless you would like to argue that all law schools are good. Personally, I believe that this is false.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Here's to the hope that OP doesn't get obliterated ITT. And TCR:

kwais wrote:I'm not saying I condone it, but to start this thread on TOP LAW SCHOOLS is asking for it. If you've spent 3 minutes on this site, then you know that.

TBF, this site has sort of transformed and became the number one law school reference website. So while it may be called "top law schools," it is also a good resource for schools of every caliber.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 pm

kwais wrote:I'm not saying I condone it, but to start this thread on TOP LAW SCHOOLS is asking for it. If you've spent 3 minutes on this site, then you know that.

True.

RockyIII wrote: If all these schools are "good" then there is nothing left to distinguish good from bad. Unless you would like to argue that all law schools are good. Personally, I believe that this is false.

Fair enough.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Also, while I may have taken the wrong approach at doing so, I believe this site at times can help people realize that they are making a poor decision.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 pm

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:02 pm

OP, please please don't go to any of these schools.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 pm

As a state flagship, Ole Miss is solid, even though it is technically third tier. It might be a poor idea if say, you're gunning for NYC BigLaw, but if you're from Mississippi and want to practice there, it's super cheap and places well within the state. The same goes for other state flagship schools in isolated markets like Montana, Idaho, Maine, North Dakota etc. Just because they are third tier doesn't mean that they are schools with terrible prospects. I take issue with TTT schools in over-saturated markets like NYLS that charge obscene tuition and offer dismal job opportunities.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 pm

It's so frustrating that half the people on this site do not know anything about certain regional schools, yet, love to make comments about how awful X school is just because it's not among the top 100 schools. Like the above posted said, it's justified for schools in saturated markets but just don't bother to post if you don't know anything about the regional law school the OP is talking about. TLS can be so helpful but full of douches at the same time.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:20 pm

mettasutta wrote:As a state flagship, Ole Miss is solid, even though it is technically third tier. It might be a poor idea if say, you're gunning for NYC BigLaw, but if you're from Mississippi and want to practice there, it's super cheap and places well within the state. The same goes for other state flagship schools in isolated markets like Montana, Idaho, Maine, North Dakota etc. Just because they are third tier doesn't mean that they are schools with terrible prospects. I take issue with TTT schools in over-saturated markets like NYLS that charge obscene tuition and offer dismal job opportunities.

Well-put, and agreed

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 pm

First I will break it down so everyone understands my intentions with this thread.

1) I clearly stated that this was Non T100 Schools

2) I do not consider every school that I visited a "good" school. In fact some were very deserving of their reputations.

3) Nearly half of all law schools fall into this group, so it behooves everyone to realize that there are students outside of their own box.

4) TLS does have an emphasis on the T14 Schools but it is also a resource for EVERY ABA school. If a prospective student wants a profile on a school, that student can find it on TLS, I created this thread to give those other students an opportunity to talk about their schools.

And as far as "LOL" at us 3T applicant and considering that no 3T school is good, Ill point to my home state of Tennessee. Vanderbilt. And Tennessee both are top Tier Schools, but compare Placement and Bar Passage with Memphis...

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 pm

atlantisdan wrote:
I visited these three as well as, Tennessee, Samford, MC Law, Belmont, Lincoln Memorial .

Hope that's a start...

The last 2 schools you mentioned are NOT ABA-accredited though...avoid at all costs!

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 pm

atlantisdan wrote:And as far as "LOL" at us 3T applicant and considering that no 3T school is good, Ill point to my home state of Tennessee. Vanderbilt. And Tennessee both are top Tier Schools, but compare Placement and Bar Passage with Memphis...

no one cares about bar passage, and placement is not comparable in the least

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Okay.... how much money in loans are planning on taking out to pay for these schools?

akili

Postby akili » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 pm

TheFactor wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:And as far as "LOL" at us 3T applicant and considering that no 3T school is good, Ill point to my home state of Tennessee. Vanderbilt. And Tennessee both are top Tier Schools, but compare Placement and Bar Passage with Memphis...

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

AND, Vanderbilt bar passage is about 6% higher than Memphis' (at least according to the TLS profiles)

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 pm

It depends on the school that I choose, anywhere from 11k per year to 50k.

I am seeking a career in Public Service and hope to utilize both the IBR and Public Service Forgiveness Programs. If I do not go to work for the gvmt, I may just hang my shingle in an under served town and focus on Family Law, Criminal Defense, and Mediate when ever possible.

Since I have no ambition to ever work for Big Law, I have no need for a T14 to impress potential employers.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:41 pm

akili wrote:
TheFactor wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

AND, Vanderbilt bar passage is about 6% higher than Memphis' (at least according to the TLS profiles)

6% but shouldn't it be considerably worse if it is poor school and Vanderbitlt is so highly ranked in the T100?

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Rankings do not equal bar passage rate...

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

I was having a conversation with a guy in my philosophy class and told him I was trying to decide between FSU and UF. When he asked where I wanted to practice and I said Miami, he said why don't I got to FIU because it has a higher bar passage rate than those two schools. I stared blankly.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 am

OP, I perused your TLS profile, and of the three schools you are considering, I would immediately cross off Mercer, unless you received any scholarship money. ~$35,000 tuition is too high for a school of its caliber. If you're sure you don't want to retake, I would go with U of Memphis, since it is the cheapest for you as a TN resident.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 am

Well, I am not as ignorant as that guy was. The bar passage wasn't a good argument for me to make but, most of the people who go to Vanderbilt do not stay and work within the rural towns of Tennessee. Those graduates move on to better paying markets. It is the schools like Memphis and Ole Miss (at low cost comparatively) that produce the attorneys and public service needs in he rural communities. There is a need for legal skills that those from the more elite schools do not meet.

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 am

mettasutta wrote:OP, I perused your TLS profile, and of the three schools you are considering, I would immediately cross off Mercer, unless you received any scholarship money. ~$35,000 tuition is too high for a school of its caliber. If you're sure you don't want to retake, I would go with U of Memphis, since it is the cheapest for you as a TN resident.

Memphis and Ole Miss break about even as OOS tuition at OM drops after the first year. That said, OM is my preference but if - am not accepted or wait listed, I will choose Mercer and utilize the IBR program and Public Service Forgiveness program. It is likely that I would relocate some from a rural town to more of a mid sized city if I were to choose Private Practice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”