Do you think stupid people will...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Will people withdraw from a school solely because of a drop in ranking?

No, we aspiring law students are rational beings
11%
Yes, some aspiring law students are stupidly infatuated with ranking
67%
I hope so, because I'm on a waitlist that I want to get off of
23%

Total votes: 57

Nailjohnj

Do you think stupid people will...

Postby Nailjohnj » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Do you think stupid people will withdraw from schools that have a meaningless drop in the US News Rankings? I'm not talking about dropping out of the T14 or even T20 but rather a drop from 28 out of the T30 or from mid 40s into the low 50s. I know that none of my fellow TLSers will do something so inane, but I'm curious about the applicant pool at large. Do you think that people put so much weight in these "rankings" that they will withdraw from a good school because of a drop and no other reason?

dakatz

Re: Do you think stupid people will...

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:56 pm

I doubt people would do something as drastic as withdrawing from the school. Though I could certainly see students using a drop or a rise as a reason for choosing/not choosing a school, as dumb as that may be. But a student withdrawing after sinking money into his/her education simply because of a rankings drop? I couldn't imagine that happening.

EDIT: Oh, you don't mean dropping out of school, you just mean withdrawing their acceptances. In that case, yes. These rankings are made to manipulate and fool even the best of us. There will be a contingent of people who honestly let minute changes in rankings as the guiding factors in their decision.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Your post is not clear. It sounds like you are asking whether people attending will withdraw. I voted as such.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Yes, most TLS's are that warped.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:58 pm

I voted for the 3rd one because there are some schools I want to get in to! I do think people will withdraw if a school takes a hit. Normally I would think this would only be people who aren't on a site like TLS but to tell you the truth with all the talk of "well school x is rated higher than school y blah blah blah" I bet there are a few people on here who will not be attending a school because of a ranking drop.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:04 pm

justhockey31 wrote:I voted for the 3rd one because there are some schools I want to get in to! I do think people will withdraw if a school takes a hit. Normally I would think this would only be people who aren't on a site like TLS but to tell you the truth with all the talk of "well school x is rated higher than school y blah blah blah" I bet there are a few people on here who will not be attending a school because of a ranking drop.

love the avatar

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:08 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:I voted for the 3rd one because there are some schools I want to get in to! I do think people will withdraw if a school takes a hit. Normally I would think this would only be people who aren't on a site like TLS but to tell you the truth with all the talk of "well school x is rated higher than school y blah blah blah" I bet there are a few people on here who will not be attending a school because of a ranking drop.

love the avatar

I wish I could say the same but I am a bills fan :cry: lol

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Yes, most TLS's are that warped.

What do the law schools themselves have anything to do with this?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”