WTF Do I Do Now?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby dangerdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 pm

I got a 169 on the October LSAT and applied with my 3.3 GPA. I applied rather late (early January), and I am currently looking at these options:

Vandy - no response
UCLA - no response
WUSTL - $75k
GW - WL
UIUC - $90k
BU -WL
IUB - $120k
Hastings - Accepted, haven't heard about money

I want to work in California and not excited about going to school in the Midwest, especially without much money.
Right now I'm thinking I should retake the LSAT, get 1 or 2 more points, and reapply with ED to NU or Cornell (T14 so it will carry to Cali right?), as well as USC, UCLA again. If I don't get in, I expect WUSTL will give me more money.
Big question if I go the retake route - how do I study for the LSAT again after seeing all the practice tests? It was self study the first time, are there classes for people testing 165+?
Also, what can I do during the year to improve my chances at Cornell and NU? (volunteer with Americorps? Find a job? <--I'm a philosophy major, keep that in mind).

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:50 pm

I would give both of my nuts to be in your position.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby super6 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm 170/3.6 and got WL'd at Vandy as did someone else with the exact same numbers that I'm in touch with. Unless you're URM I wouldn't count on that coming back positive, if this information affects your decision at all.

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby incase2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:I would give both of my nuts to be in your position.


Agreed, I probably should retake too... ah well. I would say Illinois.

Texas 26.65%
Fordham 25.68%
GW 24.76%
Notre Dame 23.84%
Emory 21.18%
WUSTL 18.96%
Illinois 17.85%
SMU 16.22%
W&M 15.42%
UC-Davis 15.38%

Solved - maybe not for CA job prospects, but for cash money prospects. And after all, isn't that what's really important. :>

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby Sandro » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:03 am

I wouldnt put all your eggs into being able to score 170/171 next cycle and have it really improve your outcomes. Up to you though.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:05 am

Where in Cali?
Last edited by RockyIII on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby dpk711 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:06 am

retake and apply earlier this coming cycle

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby dangerdan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 am

RockyIII wrote:Where in Cali?


SF Bay, SD, or LA, It's all good

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 am

not sure what to do here. i do not know the relevant info to tell you what the right decision is here. but i do know of some questions whose answers may help.

1. Are there other regional schools in Cali that place just as well as these midwest schools? (i.e. USD, pepperdine, UC-H, UC-I, etc.)? If these place even near to as well as your midwest options, then take a year off and reapply to these and try to get some $$ from them and reapply to the ones you've already got money from this cycle to use as leverage (this does not necessarily mean you need to retake --- you want to avoid a retake that ends up worse at all costs given that gpa -- but maybe i'm wrong in that regard).

This also makes sense if you REALLY want to live in Cali since you will be there during your law school years, too.

2. Assume that your options aren't good for cali; is it possible to work in the best job you can get out of one of your law schools and then lateral to a firm somewhere in cali? If so, then grab one of your money options and run with it (WUSTL, UIUC, IUB). But this is assuming you can stand to be away from Cali for 5-7ish years.

These two options are not meant to look like exhaustive alternatives but just suggestions. Perhaps they are both not onto something; but, from just reasoning from my armchair, these seem like they could be helpful considerations - depending on the empirical data.

Whatever turns out to be the case though, congratulations on some great options!

User avatar
incase2011
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby incase2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:18 am

adt231 wrote:not sure what to do here. i do not know the relevant info to tell you what the right decision is here. but i do know of some questions whose answers may help.

1. Are there other regional schools in Cali that place just as well as these midwest schools? (i.e. USD, pepperdine, UC-H, UC-I, etc.)? If these place even near to as well as your midwest options, then take a year off and reapply to these and try to get some $$ from them and reapply to the ones you've already got money from this cycle to use as leverage (this does not necessarily mean you need to retake --- you want to avoid a retake that ends up worse at all costs given that gpa -- but maybe i'm wrong in that regard).

This also makes sense if you REALLY want to live in Cali since you will be there during your law school years, too.

2. Assume that your options aren't good for cali; is it possible to work in the best job you can get out of one of your law schools and then lateral to a firm somewhere in cali? If so, then grab one of your money options and run with it (WUSTL, UIUC, IUB). But this is assuming you can stand to be away from Cali for 5-7ish years.

These two options are not meant to look like exhaustive alternatives but just suggestions. Perhaps they are both not onto something; but, from just reasoning from my armchair, these seem like they could be helpful considerations - depending on the empirical data.

Whatever turns out to be the case though, congratulations on some great options!


I agree with point 2 particularly. I callously posted some NLJ250 stats and settled on UIUC. You're very luck to be in the position you're in (at least if you wanted to stay in the midwest - it's hard to feel sorry for you simply because you want to be in Cali). Are we really getting the full picture here? If you seriously want to be in Cali, apply to schools there. These other schools are a smoke screen. Granted, in my opinion, you crazy for not going to Illinois or WUSTL, but I'm sure you've got your reasons.

First rule of TLS: if it's not top 14, don't assume you can travel.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:45 am

incase2011 wrote:
adt231 wrote:not sure what to do here. i do not know the relevant info to tell you what the right decision is here. but i do know of some questions whose answers may help.

1. Are there other regional schools in Cali that place just as well as these midwest schools? (i.e. USD, pepperdine, UC-H, UC-I, etc.)? If these place even near to as well as your midwest options, then take a year off and reapply to these and try to get some $$ from them and reapply to the ones you've already got money from this cycle to use as leverage (this does not necessarily mean you need to retake --- you want to avoid a retake that ends up worse at all costs given that gpa -- but maybe i'm wrong in that regard).

This also makes sense if you REALLY want to live in Cali since you will be there during your law school years, too.

2. Assume that your options aren't good for cali; is it possible to work in the best job you can get out of one of your law schools and then lateral to a firm somewhere in cali? If so, then grab one of your money options and run with it (WUSTL, UIUC, IUB). But this is assuming you can stand to be away from Cali for 5-7ish years.

These two options are not meant to look like exhaustive alternatives but just suggestions. Perhaps they are both not onto something; but, from just reasoning from my armchair, these seem like they could be helpful considerations - depending on the empirical data.

Whatever turns out to be the case though, congratulations on some great options!


I agree with point 2 particularly. I callously posted some NLJ250 stats and settled on UIUC. You're very luck to be in the position you're in (at least if you wanted to stay in the midwest - it's hard to feel sorry for you simply because you want to be in Cali). Are we really getting the full picture here? If you seriously want to be in Cali, apply to schools there. These other schools are a smoke screen. Granted, in my opinion, you crazy for not going to Illinois or WUSTL, but I'm sure you've got your reasons.

First rule of TLS: if it's not top 14, don't assume you can travel.


I agree with point 2 as well. Re-evaluate what you want. Why didn't you apply to UCLA/USC/Davis or Hasting if you want CA so badly?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 am

IMO if you don't have a 175 and you've only taken once the answer is always retake. LSAT points are worth tens of thousands of dollars. That's free money if you can improve (and most people can).

IMO take in June and apply first thing next cycle.

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: WTF Do I Do Now?

Postby JD2014 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Big question if I go the retake route - how do I study for the LSAT again after seeing all the practice tests?


I self-studied for the LSAT, took it in June, then retook in October. While I was definitely familiar with some of the questions, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. Additionally, when retaking you can focus your studying on the question types that gave you the most trouble. I'd recommend the Grouped By books for this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... by&x=0&y=0

If you need a job in the interim, try getting a job as a paralegal somewhere. It won't pay very well since you don't have any experience, but it looks good on apps.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chasima, ColonelSanders and 8 guests