--

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Etudilos
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 pm

--

Postby Etudilos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm

----
Last edited by Etudilos on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 am

Do not go to a school if you would not be content graduating from that school. There is no guarantee that you will have the grades to transfer.

If you reallllly want a California T14 (of which there are only 2...) you would have much better luck retaking the LSAT and taking a year off and applying for the 2012 cycle. If your GPA is too low to get into Boalt or Standford without a high LSAT as a 0L, then maybe Davis is a good option, but really do not count on transferring.

Etudilos
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby Etudilos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:16 am

thanks for the insight, Rocky. I'm not so much counting on transferring, and I figure I would be content to graduate from Davis or ND, but if one had a notable advantage over the other in terms of transferring to better CA law schools, it could help me make up my mind. I'm sorry for the mistake on the T14- I thought UCLA and USC were also T14, silly mistake on my part.

Do you (or anyone, for that matter) have any insight about a comparison between job prospects for graduates of ND vs UC Davis? ND seems somehow more notable to me, but they are similarly ranked and from what I've read at least seem similar in respect to big law and what not.

Thanks again for the help, people here seem to have a much larger wealth of information and understanding than I do.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby RockyIII » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 am

Don't get me wrong, UCLA and USC are still good schools.


I'm not sure what the exact numbers for biglaw placement are from each school, but as a general rule of thumb:
If you would prefer to work in Cali, specifically Sacramento and/or bay area, go to Davis.

A degree from ND probably has more portability than a degree from Davis, but Davis will probably place better within the state of California.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:51 am

Etudilos wrote:thanks for the insight, Rocky. I'm not so much counting on transferring, and I figure I would be content to graduate from Davis or ND, but if one had a notable advantage over the other in terms of transferring to better CA law schools, it could help me make up my mind. I'm sorry for the mistake on the T14- I thought UCLA and USC were also T14, silly mistake on my part.

Do you (or anyone, for that matter) have any insight about a comparison between job prospects for graduates of ND vs UC Davis? ND seems somehow more notable to me, but they are similarly ranked and from what I've read at least seem similar in respect to big law and what not.

Thanks again for the help, people here seem to have a much larger wealth of information and understanding than I do.


I wonder what makes you think this. I advise you to visit South Bend and see if you will fit in. While I think ND has a strong alumni network, I imagine most of their grads are staying in the IN/OH/PA/IL regions.

Chouchous
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby Chouchous » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:58 am

If you're absolutely sure you want to practice in California than go to the best CA school you can get into. While ND is a good school, it would only make sense to go there if you were fine with staying in the Midwest/ Chicago area for a couple of years upon graduation. I vote Davis since you're committed to California.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:41 pm

The last NLJ statistics don't really bear out that ND and UCD are 'equal' in terms of Biglaw placement. If you have ties to California, ND should be able to get you back with decent enough grades. There are tons of people in my class from CA and most of them want to go back. Our alumni network is supposedly much stronger on the West Coast than the East Coast. Keep that in mind. It comes down to money I would think though.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby jwmalone87 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm having almost the exact same conflict as you, OP.

A question, for anyone willing to answer: for a median student at ND vs. a median student at UC-D, who you do think has it easier finding employment? While I'm also California dreamin', ITE I think I'll take whatever I can get.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 am

ndirish2010 wrote:The last NLJ statistics don't really bear out that ND and UCD are 'equal' in terms of Biglaw placement. If you have ties to California, ND should be able to get you back with decent enough grades. There are tons of people in my class from CA and most of them want to go back. Our alumni network is supposedly much stronger on the West Coast than the East Coast. Keep that in mind. It comes down to money I would think though.

NLJ firms are heavily skewed towards NYC/DC, where ND does a bit better, and NLJ placement data isn't overwhelmingly relevant for someone looking to practice in CA. OP should probably go to Davis if he wants to work in CA, unless OP intends to be one of those 1Ls who walks around telling everyone about his plans to transfer, in which case ND is definitely the school for him.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 am

jwmalone87 wrote:I'm having almost the exact same conflict as you, OP.

A question, for anyone willing to answer: for a median student at ND vs. a median student at UC-D, who you do think has it easier finding employment? While I'm also California dreamin', ITE I think I'll take whatever I can get.

Both are pretty boned.

Etudilos
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby Etudilos » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:45 am

---
Last edited by Etudilos on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slevin Kelevra 2011
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:50 pm

UC Davis.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:53 pm

You really need to visit both law schools while in session. Very different cultures, in my opinion. Your decision should be much easier after visiting.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: ND v UC Davis

Postby Borhas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:00 pm

If working in CA is not a big deal for you then go to ND

you'll probably fail at transferring to UCB or Stanford though... not to say anything about you in particular, but transferring is like hard bro cause odds are you will finish around median




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vm223, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests