USC v. Cornell Want to be in CA after graduation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

East coast v. West coast

Cornell
40%
USC
60%

Total votes: 163

YourCaptain

Silver

Re: USC v. Cornell Want to be in CA after graduation

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:45 pm

northwood wrote:Go to USC. Cornell places well in NYC and other East Coast cities- but wanting to practice on the other side of the country is another thing. Unless you are okay with the idea of going to live in the east- then i would go to whatever school you like and feel morfe comfortable at- or is less expensive.
What? No.

USC holds sway in Southern CA with other USC alumni; the UCLA hiring partner grad would prefer the kid from Cornell over the kid from USC if grades are equal and the Cornell kid can otherwise establish ties.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:08 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Don't mean to hijack too much but do people still think that USC>Cornell for CA (esp SoCal) still holds in a MVP v. USC (or UCLA) case? I mean sure it's kind of up to how debt averse one is but does MVP add anything the calculus that isn't already present in DNCG?
I was told in the "Michigan 1L/2L/3L taking questions" thread that locality would probably still be preferable. And that's not even taking cost of attendance into consideration.
Hmm, who wrote that?
I found this from my older thread "Can UMich take me somewhere warm"
drylo wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
bk187 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:At what point does it stop being this?

And I'm not asking sarcastically. Would T5 be better? Would different T10s, like Penn be better? Texas is just an option, but it's a hell of an option. If not Texas, than Cali.

OK. I just made an executive decision. I want to work in either Texas or Cali when I get out.
I don't think it ever stops being that. Maybe at HYS, but then again I don't think so.

The reason being is that firms don't trust that you won't bolt the moment you get a job elsewhere. They do not trust that you - someone who has never lived there, didn't go to school there, has no family there - have a legitimate desire to work in that place. They believe that they are just a backup to you and being at a better ranked school isn't going to make them any more trusting of you.
This. Kids at my CCN who even had connections to SoCal got shut out. There are always exceptions, but on the whole, if you're sure you want to work in X, go to the best school there or HYS. Plus if you're in a UMich, doesn't that mean some $$$ at Texas/USC etc?
Agree with this 100%... except to the extent that people think that a HYS degree transcends the local ties problem. I call BS on that. If you want to go work somewhere specific and do not have any ties to that area, your best hope is to go to school there (at least in the region). The reality is that you have to do well in school no matter where you go, and you have to have some kind of a tie to get a job in just about any particular market.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I don't really buy the whole "USC places better in LA than Cornell" argument. If we are talking based on sheer numbers than yes, obviously a higher percentage of USC graduates will work for firms in LA than Cornell, but you have to take self-selection into account. The vast majority of USC grads want to stay in LA after graduation, while the majority of Cornell grads want to work in NYC after graduation. What would be a more compelling statistic would be a measurement of how many people from USC who wanted to work in LA biglaw were able to vs. how many from Cornell were able to. I bet that Cornell grads facing much less internal competition for LA positions would have an easier time of things than USC grads where everyone is competing for those jobs. Basically since LA firms will have their pick of USC grads, anyone below the top 1/3rd of the class will face an uphill battle for those jobs, at Cornell they can't afford to be quite as picky since not as many people are going to bid for LA jobs (and as Ithaca is not an easy place to get to, if they are making the significant effort to come all the way to OCI at Cornell, that shows that they will probably want to get at least one Cornellian). Combine that with the added safety net of having a more portable degree should you not be able to crack the LA market and Cornell seems to be the better option provided you can deal with the cold. One could argue that you would have more networking opportunities in LA at USC, but if you don't have the resume to back them up that networking isn't going to get you much further than you would have been without it. Also, not many people at Cornell are going to have your ties to SoCal, which will further help give you a leg up among your classmates there.

Of course if money came into play than that would be a completely different story, but Cornell and USC are pretty close in terms of sticker price (they are both on the high side) so it's not like you would be saving significant money by choosing USC over Cornell at sticker.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Dude, don't listen to these fools, I already cut my hair, vamonos a Cornell! :lol:

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm

chasgoose wrote:I don't really buy the whole "USC places better in LA than Cornell" argument. If we are talking based on sheer numbers than yes, obviously a higher percentage of USC graduates will work for firms in LA than Cornell, but you have to take self-selection into account. The vast majority of USC grads want to stay in LA after graduation, while the majority of Cornell grads want to work in NYC after graduation. What would be a more compelling statistic would be a measurement of how many people from USC who wanted to work in LA biglaw were able to vs. how many from Cornell were able to. I bet that Cornell grads facing much less internal competition for LA positions would have an easier time of things than USC grads where everyone is competing for those jobs. Basically since LA firms will have their pick of USC grads, anyone below the top 1/3rd of the class will face an uphill battle for those jobs, at Cornell they can't afford to be quite as picky since not as many people are going to bid for LA jobs (and as Ithaca is not an easy place to get to, if they are making the significant effort to come all the way to OCI at Cornell, that shows that they will probably want to get at least one Cornellian). Combine that with the added safety net of having a more portable degree should you not be able to crack the LA market and Cornell seems to be the better option provided you can deal with the cold. One could argue that you would have more networking opportunities in LA at USC, but if you don't have the resume to back them up that networking isn't going to get you much further than you would have been without it. Also, not many people at Cornell are going to have your ties to SoCal, which will further help give you a leg up among your classmates there.

Of course if money came into play than that would be a completely different story, but Cornell and USC are pretty close in terms of sticker price (they are both on the high side) so it's not like you would be saving significant money by choosing USC over Cornell at sticker.
So what I hear you saying is if I want to work NYC biglaw, USC is better than Cornell since NY firms get so many Cornell kids?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 am

lisjjen wrote:
chasgoose wrote:I don't really buy the whole "USC places better in LA than Cornell" argument. If we are talking based on sheer numbers than yes, obviously a higher percentage of USC graduates will work for firms in LA than Cornell, but you have to take self-selection into account. The vast majority of USC grads want to stay in LA after graduation, while the majority of Cornell grads want to work in NYC after graduation. What would be a more compelling statistic would be a measurement of how many people from USC who wanted to work in LA biglaw were able to vs. how many from Cornell were able to. I bet that Cornell grads facing much less internal competition for LA positions would have an easier time of things than USC grads where everyone is competing for those jobs. Basically since LA firms will have their pick of USC grads, anyone below the top 1/3rd of the class will face an uphill battle for those jobs, at Cornell they can't afford to be quite as picky since not as many people are going to bid for LA jobs (and as Ithaca is not an easy place to get to, if they are making the significant effort to come all the way to OCI at Cornell, that shows that they will probably want to get at least one Cornellian). Combine that with the added safety net of having a more portable degree should you not be able to crack the LA market and Cornell seems to be the better option provided you can deal with the cold. One could argue that you would have more networking opportunities in LA at USC, but if you don't have the resume to back them up that networking isn't going to get you much further than you would have been without it. Also, not many people at Cornell are going to have your ties to SoCal, which will further help give you a leg up among your classmates there.

So what I hear you saying is if I want to work NYC biglaw, USC is better than Cornell since NY firms get so many Cornell kids?
I suppose he would say no, because USC doesn't have national prestige. However, I'm just as confused as you even if we're talking about schools with the same prestige.... chasgoose, are you suggesting that you should go to Berkeley instead of UVA for DC and UVA instead of Berkeley for SF?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 am

tlslsnlsp wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

I suppose he would say no, because USC doesn't have national prestige. However, I'm just as confused as you even if we're talking about schools with the same prestige.... chasgoose, are you suggesting that you should go to Berkeley instead of UVA for DC and UVA instead of Berkeley for SF?
No, I'm saying that Cornell is better than USC overall and that the supposed advantage USC has in CA placement is distorted by the fact that so many people from USC stay in CA vs. those that go to CA from Cornell. Look at the placement numbers, Cornell is way better at big law placement nationally than USC and so its still probably better at CA placement for those who want to go there than USC is. If say 30 kids want CA placement from Cornell and 20 of them get it, that's better than 100 kids wanting CA placement from USC and only 50 of them getting it. I imagine that UVA probably places a higher percentage of people in DC that want to go there than Berkeley and vice versa for SF, but I also think that Cornell probably places a higher percentage of its students in CA big law that want to go there than USC places there.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

chasgoose wrote:No, I'm saying that Cornell is better than USC overall and that the supposed advantage USC has in CA placement is distorted by the fact that so many people from USC stay in CA vs. those that go to CA from Cornell. Look at the placement numbers, Cornell is way better at big law placement nationally than USC and so its still probably better at CA placement for those who want to go there than USC is. If say 30 kids want CA placement from Cornell and 20 of them get it, that's better than 100 kids wanting CA placement from USC and only 50 of them getting it. I imagine that UVA probably places a higher percentage of people in DC that want to go there than Berkeley and vice versa for SF, but I also think that Cornell probably places a higher percentage of its students in CA big law that want to go there than USC places there.
This post neatly summarizes everything that is wrong with TLS. You're talking about NLJ 250 stats. The reason that Cornell does better at biglaw placement is because it places so well in the legal capitol of the world. You're assuming a similiar advantage for a market that is technically 2,500 miles away and culturally farther away than that. That's a lot of work for one little percentage to do.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 am

lisjjen wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:USC. Stay in Southern Cal, meet attorneys, go to mixers in LA to meet more attorneys, get a job, profit $$$$$.
All of the above. On the beach. I also should mention, I'm facing the same choice and taking USC.
I love how people always say, "...on the beach". Because USC is totally on the beach.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 am

warandpeace wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:USC. Stay in Southern Cal, meet attorneys, go to mixers in LA to meet more attorneys, get a job, profit $$$$$.
All of the above. On the beach. I also should mention, I'm facing the same choice and taking USC.
I love how people always say, "...on the beach". Because USC is totally on the beach.
Yes, this is LOL-worthy.

What's also funny is the 0L conception of networking: yeah, bro, just do mixers and meet attorneys and get a high-paying job. It's just that easy.

If you take people who want to work in LA BigLaw at each school, I'd bet $1000 a higher percentage of those people at Cornell are having success.

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

chasgoose wrote: No, I'm saying that Cornell is better than USC overall
Ok, then let's use Columbia vs. Berkeley.
chasgoose wrote: and that the supposed advantage USC has in CA placement is distorted by the fact that so many people from USC stay in CA vs. those that go to CA from Cornell.
Using my new example, the supposed advantage Berkeley has in SF placement is distorted by the fact that so many people from Berkeley stay in SF vs. those that go to SF from Columbia.
chasgoose wrote: Look at the placement numbers, Cornell is way better at big law placement nationally than USC and so its still probably better at CA placement for those who want to go there than USC is. If say 30 kids want CA placement from Cornell and 20 of them get it, that's better than 100 kids wanting CA placement from USC and only 50 of them getting it.
Again, using my new example, this line of thinking probably still holds, right?

Thus, are you claiming that it's better to go to Columbia for SF than Berkeley?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 am

Sticker at both schools is a no brainer for Cornell. Significant $$$ at USC vs. sticker for Cornell would be a different story.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:35 pm

RVP11 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Yes, this is LOL-worthy.

What's also funny is the 0L conception of networking: yeah, bro, just do mixers and meet attorneys and get a high-paying job. It's just that easy.

If you take people who want to work in LA BigLaw at each school, I'd bet $1000 a higher percentage of those people at Cornell are having success.
15 minutes from Venice Beach is a lot closer to on the beach than in the middle of butt-fuck New York. And I didn't talk about networking. I talked about the geographic and cultural distance between the two schools.

And then there's the Trojan network. USC has put out as many billionaires as Cornell - don't doubt that they have a wealthy and loyal alumni base.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 pm

RVP11 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Yes, this is LOL-worthy.

Best post in the thread.

I'm a 2L. WTF is networking? Are you 0Ls talking about the internetz?

USC is in the ghetto, btw. THE GHETTO. It's a gated campus because it's in the hood.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

lisjjen wrote:And then there's the Trojan network. USC has put out as many billionaires as Cornell - don't doubt that they have a wealthy and loyal alumni base.
"Wealthy and loyal alumni base" doesn't directly help you get a job coming out of law school. Take a gander at how boned Notre Dame students have been ITE.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

tlslsnlsp wrote:
Stepping in here - YES, Columbia >>>>>> Berkeley in every market in the United States, if you have the requisite ties. That includes SF.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
tlslsnlsp wrote:
Stepping in here - YES, Columbia >>>>>> Berkeley in every market in the United States, if you have the requisite ties. That includes SF.
Wow. Bay Area native here, who has been to a whole lot of biglaw offices, asked partners about schools. Every single one has told me that if I'm sure I want to stay in the Bay Area, Berkeley is the place to be by a long shot above East Coast schools (I told them I couldn't get into Stanford). I'm guessing it's because you'll have full access to pretty much any Bay Area firm you want, as opposed to a few elite firms doing OCI at Columbia and resume blasting. Though I'm guessing this is for if you're not gunning for Biglaw.
Last edited by Hannibal on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Re: USC v. Cornell

Post by 20160810 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Curry wrote:You have ties to Socal. Go to Cornell.
/thread

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:26 pm

RVP11 wrote:
tlslsnlsp wrote:
Not sure I agree with this, w/r/t SF only. For one thing, small/mid-sized firms miiiight do OCI at CLS, but they ALL do OCI at Cal, so there are more fallback choices for someone who misses biglaw. For another, SF firms care a lot about ties, so for someone without NorCal ties going to Cal might be a good way to establish a connection to SF. Lastly, I'm assuming you were referring to private practice and not PI. I think when you're looking at PI/gov in CA and especially SF, some of CLS's advantage diminishes.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 pm

You're advising a guy to leave his target market to go to a slightly better school? Are you all crazy?

Cornell has better prospects nationally, but ALL the Southern California firms are going to interview at USC. Not so for Cornell. Not to mention that, yes, he can network while at USC. It's not like the T-14 is some kind of golden ticket everywhere. If he ends up being bottom 25% at Cornell he's WAY WAY WAY more screwed in SoCal than being bottom 25% at USC.

Cornell is national in the sense that yes, you can place everywhere. But its target market and strongest one is in NY. That's what the OCI is going to more geared towards. You don't go to a school that targets New York when you want to go to USC.

And this "diversity" stuff is silly. Law firms hire where they have established pipelines - where they've had success before and where a lot of them probably graduated from. For southern California, I'd only take HYS, Berk and maybe UCLA over USC. USC has a death grip on Southern California generally.

You go walk into a Southern California law firm where a good portion of the attorneys went to USC/UCLA and you tell tell them Cornell outranks those two and to give you a job on that basis. Let me know how that goes.
Last edited by danquayle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

danquayle wrote:
You're advising a guy to leave his target market to go to a slightly better school? Are you all crazy?

Cornell has better prospects nationally, but ALL the Southern California firms are going to interview at USC. Not so for Cornell. Not to mention that, yes, he can network while at USC. It's not like the T-14 is some kind of golden ticket everywhere. If he ends up being bottom 25% at Cornell he's WAY WAY WAY more screwed in SoCal than being bottom 25% at USC.

Cornell is national in the sense that yes, you can place everywhere. But its target market and strongest one is in NY. That's what the OCI is going to more geared towards. You don't go to a school that targets New York when you want to go to USC.

And this "diversity" stuff is silly. Law firms hire where they have established pipelines - where they've had success before and where a lot of them probably graduated from. For southern California, I'd only take HYS, Berk and maybe UCLA over USC. USC has a death grip on Southern California generally.

You go walk into a Southern California law firm where a good portion of the attorneys went to USC/UCLA and you tell tell them Cornell outranks those two. Let me know how that goes.
Nobody actually networks. I'd also be shocked if any big firms in LA didn't interview at Cornell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

SBL wrote:
danquayle wrote:

You go walk into a Southern California law firm where a good portion of the attorneys went to USC/UCLA and you tell tell them Cornell outranks those two. Let me know how that goes.
Nobody actually networks. I'd also be shocked if any big firms in LA didn't interview at Cornell.
The Big Big law firms are recruiting nationally, period. But a lot of the big firms that are regional to LA are going to focus in on the best regional law schools.

Let me ask you this: Do you think there are any LA law firms that recruit at Cornell but not USC? Now let me ask you the opposite.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:40 pm

danquayle wrote:

You go walk into a Southern California law firm where a good portion of the attorneys went to USC/UCLA and you tell tell them Cornell outranks those two and to give you a job on that basis. Let me know how that goes.
Its better to have a job than not have a job. Cornell puts you in a better place to have a job than SC does. Because he has ties to CA, his prospects from Cornell in Socal went up by a large enough magnitude to justify not taking USC.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Don't mean to thread hijack but I'm sure the OP will have other similar decisions and I'm just wondering if we think that t14 (Gtown included) trumps UCLA USC if you were born and raised socal like OP? Or once you get up to UCLA and down to Gtown does the equation change?

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:49 pm

FlanAl wrote:Don't mean to thread hijack but I'm sure the OP will have other similar decisions and I'm just wondering if we think that t14 (Gtown included) trumps UCLA USC if you were born and raised socal like OP? Or once you get up to UCLA and down to Gtown does the equation change?
Depends on money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”