NYU vs GULC vs UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
northandwest

NYU vs GULC vs UCLA

Postby northandwest » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 pm

So these are the schools I was accepted to. I have not heard back from Georgetown or UCLA about financial aid, but I received a $37k scholarship from NYU. I know these are kind of spread-out, location-wise, but while I am inclined to pick NYU as it is the highest-ranked school that accepted me, I am not dying to live in NYC because it just seems really stressful. However, I also don't want to pick a worse school because it happens to be in warm, sunny California. I am not actually from any of these areas, though.

I have no idea what sort of job/what area I will be looking for work in after law school, although the biglaw route sounds least appealing right now. So I guess I'll just ask - are there any career options that would be limited by attending any of these schools? And of course any other info to help me make this choice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by northandwest on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BruceWayne

Re: NYU vs GULC vs UCLA

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm

northandwest wrote:So these are the schools I was accepted to. I have not heard back from Georgetown or UCLA about financial aid, but I received a $37k scholarship from NYU. I know these are kind of spread-out, location-wise, but while I am inclined to pick NYU as it is the highest-ranked school that accepted me, I am not dying to live in NYC because it just seems really stressful. However, I also don't want to pick a worse school because it happens to be in warm, sunny California. I am not actually from any of these areas, though.

[b]I have no idea what sort of job/what area I will be looking for work in after law schoo[/b]l, although the biglaw route sounds least appealing right now. So I guess I'll just ask - are there any career options that would be limited by attending any of these schools? And of course any other info to help me make this choice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

NYU

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:57 am

northandwest wrote:So these are the schools I was accepted to. I have not heard back from Georgetown or UCLA about financial aid, but I received a $37k scholarship from NYU. I know these are kind of spread-out, location-wise, but while I am inclined to pick NYU as it is the highest-ranked school that accepted me, I am not dying to live in NYC because it just seems really stressful. However, I also don't want to pick a worse school because it happens to be in warm, sunny California. I am not actually from any of these areas, though.

I have no idea what sort of job/what area I will be looking for work in after law school, although the biglaw route sounds least appealing right now. So I guess I'll just ask - are there any career options that would be limited by attending any of these schools? And of course any other info to help me make this choice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Not sure if you are also from CA but I have a very similar decision. You should let UCLA know about the 37k from NYU asap. They matched my offer from a lower ranked school than Duke, so I'm sure they'll give you a lot. FWIW, I assume that I will finish at median since that's the safest assumption (I think that might even be generous..), and I'm not sure how well being median at UCLA is anymore :?

And not sure how much this matters to you, but GULC is the biggest school and I think LA is better for so-cal (assumption which I may be wrong on) so I would rule that out if I were you. Hope that helps, good luck!

northandwest

Postby northandwest » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:24 pm

BruceWayne wrote:NYU

Yeah, I was surprised they gave me so much, but I was going to use that to try to negotiate a better offer from the other two schools, so I could possibly get good offers from the other two eventually.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:40 pm

no man go to nyu what are you thinking?

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 am

Having a job (NYU) v. being unemployed (Georgetown/UCLA)?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 am

Top 5 school with money versus... other schools.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm

I chose NYU w/ scholarship less than 37k over UCLA with full ride. I'm a 2L now. I haven't had any doubts about that decision since I started 1L classes. I'm not the biggest NYC fan, but if anything the atmosphere at NYU (I realize you were talking about NYC rather than the particular school) seems to be more chill than that at other law schools (admittedly my basis for knowledge is limited- conventional TLS opinion, my own experience of NYU w/o anything to really compare it to besides anecdotal evidence, discussions with transfer students).

northandwest

Postby northandwest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Having a job (NYU) v. being unemployed (Georgetown/UCLA)?

While I am not familiar with how easy it is to find a job out of any of these schools, is there seriously that big of a gap between finding a job after NYU versus the other two? I understand NYU is much higher ranked, but none of these are bad schools... While NYU is definitely my top choice right now, I just don't want to be so quick to shoot down my other options only because I've seen the rankings.

zanda wrote:I chose NYU w/ scholarship less than 37k over UCLA with full ride. I'm a 2L now. I haven't had any doubts about that decision since I started 1L classes. I'm not the biggest NYC fan, but if anything the atmosphere at NYU (I realize you were talking about NYC rather than the particular school) seems to be more chill than that at other law schools (admittedly my basis for knowledge is limited- conventional TLS opinion, my own experience of NYU w/o anything to really compare it to besides anecdotal evidence, discussions with transfer students).

Thank you, that's a big help - it's a relief knowing that the atmosphere at NYU is most likely not as intense as I'm making it out to be in my head based on the location! xD

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:41 pm

NYU. Don't look back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”