Emory (81k) vs. W&M (75k) vs. BC (51k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

William & Mary
7%
Emory
39%
Boston College
54%

Total votes: 28

fetalposition

Emory (81k) vs. W&M (75k) vs. BC (51k)

Postby fetalposition » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Emory and Boston College CoA is about the same -- about $130,000 total @ graduation
W&M CoA is much lower -- about $80,000 total @ graduation, but job prospects seem a lot worse

No location preferences, I just want a high paying job in a large east coast city. The thing that worries me about W&M is that it doesn't really have a big city primary market that it feeds into. It doesn't seem to place that well in DC (or at least compared to BC in Boston and Emory in Atlanta), and I definitely don't want to live in Richmond, VA or something. Which school would you choose?

athenian

Re: Emory (81k) vs. W&M (75k) vs. BC (51k)

Postby athenian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Emory and BC are probably going to give you the best shot at what you're looking for.

I voted Emory because Emory's strength in Atlanta (dominates the city) is better than BC's strength in Boston (competes head to head with BU).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 pm

athenian wrote:I voted Emory because Emory's strength in Atlanta (dominates the city)

lol no. Emory does about as good as UGA, maybe a bit better. Plus you ignore the kids from UVA, Duke, and Vandy who want to end up in ATL who, generally, will get better looks.

athenian

Postby athenian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:43 pm

rad law wrote:
athenian wrote:I voted Emory because Emory's strength in Atlanta (dominates the city)

lol no. Emory does about as good as UGA, maybe a bit better. Plus you ignore the kids from UVA, Duke, and Vandy who want to end up in ATL who, generally, will get better looks.

Good point about UVA, Duke, and Vandy. Emory v. UGA seems to be a longstanding debate on TLS. The big Atlanta firms tend to go deeper into Emory's class than they do UGA's. I still think Emory's position in Atlanta is stronger than BC's position in Boston.

At the end of the day, OP should decide whether he wants to live in Boston or Atlanta. Both are two completely different cities.

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:49 pm

athenian wrote:
rad law wrote:

Good point about UVA, Duke, and Vandy. Emory v. UGA seems to be a longstanding debate on TLS. The big Atlanta firms tend to go deeper into Emory's class than they do UGA's. I still think Emory's position in Atlanta is stronger than BC's position in Boston.

At the end of the day, OP should decide whether he wants to live in Boston or Atlanta. Both are two completely different cities.

I'm from Boston originally and I've never been to Atlanta, but finally living somewhere warm certainly appeals to me. But in summary, I'm in search of the answer both of you are trying to provide: is BC or Emory more dominant in its respective city?

My thoughts: while Emory, aside from UGA, might appear to be the only show in town, there is definitely competition from UVA and Duke. On the other hand, BC competes directly with BU but Boston firms are nuts about hiring locals. BC places very well into firms like Ropes and Gray because of the huge alumni base that already exists there. I'm sure Emory has its own strong firms like King Spalding, but I think I might have to give the slight edge to BC (and might I add, the Catholic thing gives it a lot of cache in Irish Catholic Boston).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm

fetalposition wrote:
athenian wrote:
rad law wrote:

I'm from Boston originally and I've never been to Atlanta, but finally living somewhere warm certainly appeals to me. But in summary, I'm in search of the answer both of you are trying to provide: is BC or Emory more dominant in its respective city?

My thoughts: while Emory, aside from UGA, might appear to be the only show in town, there is definitely competition from UVA and Duke. On the other hand, BC competes directly with BU but Boston firms are nuts about hiring locals. BC places very well into firms like Ropes and Gray because of the huge alumni base that already exists there. I'm sure Emory has its own strong firms like King Spalding, but I think I might have to give the slight edge to BC (and might I add, the Catholic thing gives it a lot of cache in Irish Catholic Boston).

King and Spalding isn't really an Emory stronghold.

I'd go to BC. You're from there and you have the local connection. By going to Emory never having been to ATL, decent chance you're gonna be viewed as a carpetbagger.

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Props on your use of "carpetbagger." Hadn't heard that since high school history class... didn't think I'd ever identify as one. But yeah, that's a definite concern. I was thinking today that I could lie and say "Yeah I lived in Atlanta till I was 13, but then my Dad got a job in Boston."

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:09 pm

fetalposition wrote:Props on your use of "carpetbagger." Hadn't heard that since high school history class... didn't think I'd ever identify as one. But yeah, that's a definite concern. I was thinking today that I could lie and say "Yeah I lived in Atlanta till I was 13, but then my Dad got a job in Boston."

Yeah don't lie.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

You lost me at "I just want a high-paying job"

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:You lost me at "I just want a high-paying job"

??

Not sure what you mean.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”