Pitt, Penn State, and Temple Prospectives....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolnonsense

Pitt, Penn State, and Temple Prospectives....

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia ... SDCCG0.htm

On Tuesday, the Governor of PA slashed state funding for all state-related universities in half. While it is unclear how this will affect law school tuition and scholarship awards, those considering Pitt, Penn State and Temple should take this into consideration. More information on this is available in addition to the above hyperlink.
Just so that you are aware of the magnitude of these cuts, Pitt and Temple received roughly $160 million last year, and this year are slated to receive roughly only $80 million. Penn State went from about $360 million to $180 million. It would be wise for anyone considering these schools to contact financial aid about this before committing.

pjo

Re: Pitt, Penn State, and Temple Prospectives....

Postby pjo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm

All 3 undergrads receive state funding, but not LAW school. Temple Law school is the only one that will be affected greatly. PSU Law is basically a private school. There is no difference between in state and out of state tuition. Pitt Law school is a quasi state run insitution. I forget the exact terminology for it but Pitt Law is not a "true" public school. Notice how Temple in state is like 16k (what you would normally think of as in-state) while Pitt is 26k. It is only partially subsidized. Also of note, PSU is appx. 30k regardless of state residency.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Pitt is a state-related school. They have a board that oversees financial matters with a couple state representatives (I think the governor is one) on it

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:57 pm

pjo wrote:All 3 undergrads receive state funding, but not LAW school. Temple Law school is the only one that will be affected greatly. PSU Law is basically a private school. There is no difference between in state and out of state tuition. Pitt Law school is a quasi state run insitution. I forget the exact terminology for it but Pitt Law is not a "true" public school. Notice how Temple in state is like 16k (what you would normally think of as in-state) while Pitt is 26k. It is only partially subsidized. Also of note, PSU is appx. 30k regardless of state residency.

Temple is also state-related (IE, not a "true" public school).

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:03 pm

In PA we have two categories of public schools: the state-SUPPORTED schools (the "of Pennsylvania" schools), and the state-RELATED schools (Temple, Pitt, PSU, Lincoln).

While the state-related schools may not be run directly by the Commonwealth, it is dangerous to believe that they won't be greatly impacted by the cuts - this will certainly mean cutbacks in personnel, and possibly also higher tuition.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:04 pm

kk19131 wrote:In PA we have two categories of public schools: the state-SUPPORTED schools (the "of Pennsylvania" schools), and the state-RELATED schools (Temple, Pitt, PSU, Lincoln).

While the state-related schools may not be run directly by the Commonwealth, it is dangerous to believe that they won't be greatly impacted by the cuts - this will certainly mean cutbacks in personnel, and possibly also higher tuition.

Let me just say I'm glad I'm graduating.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”