Poll: Best law school for international human rights

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school should I attend, fall 2011?

Duke JD/LLM in International Comparative Law (w/$80K)
28%
Berkeley (w/$45K)
22%
Columbia
50%

Total votes: 18

AstronautMikeDexter

Poll: Best law school for international human rights

Postby AstronautMikeDexter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

I'd like to go into international human rights law, pref. in the Middle East, and I want to take some Arabic classes from the affiliated undergrad institution. Not accounting for LRAP programs (of which I think Columbia's might be the best), the full costs (including COL, etc.) will be $150K for Duke (the LLM program involves an additional 2 summers, one of which is abroad), $160K for Berkeley, and $220K for Columbia.

Curry

Re: Poll: Best law school for international human rights

Postby Curry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

There is no such thing as international human rights law.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Curry wrote:There is no such thing as international human rights law.

lol

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

I'd say that the 45k between Columbia and Berkeley shouldn't at all be a motivating factor, though Duke's 80k is beginning to sound interesting, especially since you'll be in the Research Triangle. It's a hell of a comfortable way to spend 3 years.

This one is tough.

AstronautMikeDexter

Postby AstronautMikeDexter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:30 pm

daddymike wrote:I'd say that the 45k between Columbia and Berkeley shouldn't at all be a motivating factor, though Duke's 80k is beginning to sound interesting, especially since you'll be in the Research Triangle. It's a hell of a comfortable way to spend 3 years.

This one is tough.

It is, and there's an additional degree involved (though I'm yet unsure of its worth--I don't know whether an LLM from an American law school translates as well as it would from an international school). I'm headed to their ASWs, and I'm hoping something just feels warm and fuzzy when I get to the right one. Ha.

Thanks for your help--

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Curry wrote:

The only thing more annoying than 0Ls who have a rosy picture of their actual chances of practicing international human rights law are 0-2Ls who know nothing about the field saying it doesn't exist. I went to CLS, and I know more than a few people working in international human rights. It's sometimes not "legal" work in the traditional sense, but there are a variety of jobs that are specially suited for lawyers and some jobs that aren't suited for lawyers, but want J.D.s anyway (even though I think anthropologists would be better suited for the job).

Personally, I would go to whichever school seemed like the best fit and you felt gave you the best chance at the kinds of jobs you're looking for in human rights. I wouldn't worry too much about the scholarship money because you'll be needing LRAP anyway. It would be one thing if one school would give you a Cost of Attendance around $60K or less, but all of them will require you fully take advantage of the LRAP so go where you think is the best.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”