Northeastern vs. Suffolk vs. New England Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ylnechev

Northeastern vs. Suffolk vs. New England Law

Postby ylnechev » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 pm

I have recently been accepted to Northeastern, Suffolk and New England Law. I did not get any scholarships from Northeastern or Suffolk and I got 30,000 a year from New England Law. I am not sure what type of law I want to pursue (perhaps health law or family law or environmental law) but I know that after graduation I want to stay in the Boston market.

Any advice anyone could offer in terms of which of the law school to attend. In terms of the atmosphere, I think Northeastern fits me best. However, I am concerned about the debt and which law school would give me the best career prospects. Any help would be great. Thanks!

snapdragon

Re: Northeastern vs. Suffolk vs. New England Law

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Personally, I would try to negotiate with Suffolk using the New England scholarship. If you can get $30k/year (with minimal stipulations - nothing more stringent than top 2/3s of your class, IMO) to Suffolk, I would say that's your best option.

What are the stips on the New England scholarship and approx how much debt would you go into? Personally I have a pretty low opinion of New England (even compared to Suffolk) but if you can live at home and get minimal debt, it might not be dreadful.

I'd have a hard time advocating Northeastern or Suffolk at sticker.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Go to Northeastern and don't look back. Northeastern at sticker > Suffolk at sticker, so Suffolk is out. And New England Law isn't worth it, even with that scholarship. Northeastern may give you the most debt, but it also will give you the best career prospects for the Boston region. New England Law is just atrocious.

The above poster did give some good advice about trying to negotiate a scholarship at Suffolk. With a good scholarship (a lot of money, low stipulations), Suffolk > Northeastern at sticker. But keep in mind, best career prospects among your choices: NORTHEASTERN.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Northeastern for SURE

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Northeastern - but seriously consider retaking if you aren't offered any sort of scholarship.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm

rman1201 wrote:Northeastern - but seriously consider retaking if you aren't offered any sort of scholarship.

Credited. If you retake and can get into BU or BC, your career prospects for the Boston region go up exponentially. And if you retake, score higher and still get rejected from BU/BC, you may be able to get some money from Northeastern. A win-win unless starting in the fall is non-negotiable for whatever reason.

ylnechev

Postby ylnechev » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 pm

snapdragon wrote:Personally, I would try to negotiate with Suffolk using the New England scholarship. If you can get $30k/year (with minimal stipulations - nothing more stringent than top 2/3s of your class, IMO) to Suffolk, I would say that's your best option.

What are the stips on the New England scholarship and approx how much debt would you go into? Personally I have a pretty low opinion of New England (even compared to Suffolk) but if you can live at home and get minimal debt, it might not be dreadful.

I'd have a hard time advocating Northeastern or Suffolk at sticker.

The stipulations for the scholarship are that I have to maintain a 3.0 gpa and stay in good academic standing. How would you recommend going about negotiating with Suffolk to get a scholarship? Would I just email admissions and tell them my situation or is there another way I should do it? Thanks for the advice.

ylnechev

Postby ylnechev » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Also, I was waitlisted at BU about a week ago so I sent them a letter of continued interest and I will wait to see what happens with that. I am still waiting to hear back from BC and Harvard (though I just applied to Harvard for fun and I am not expecting anything). Anyway, I was already leaning toward Northeastern because of their co-op program and their grading system (or lack thereof). I will try to negotiate with Suffolk to see if I can squeeze some money out of them and wait on the rest of the schools but if nothing changes, it looks like Northeastern is my destination. Anyone know what placement is like coming from Northeastern given their co-op program and lack of traditional grades? Are job prospects better than Suffolk or New England?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 pm

ylnechev wrote:Also, I was waitlisted at BU about a week ago so I sent them a letter of continued interest and I will wait to see what happens with that. I am still waiting to hear back from BC and Harvard (though I just applied to Harvard for fun and I am not expecting anything). Anyway, I was already leaning toward Northeastern because of their co-op program and their grading system (or lack thereof). I will try to negotiate with Suffolk to see if I can squeeze some money out of them and wait on the rest of the schools but if nothing changes, it looks like Northeastern is my destination. Anyone know what placement is like coming from Northeastern given their co-op program and lack of traditional grades? Are job prospects better than Suffolk or New England?

Yes, job prospects seem much better at Northeastern than Suffolk or New England. I've read overall pretty good things about it, I'd recommend it if you can't get BU/BC. It's just very expensive at sticker.

blerg

Postby blerg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:40 pm

I'd wait it out for a bit longer. I didn't get my scholarship to Suffolk until late March/early April and it's a full ride.

Without $$ for Suffolk, I'd be more inclined to go to Northeastern, but it's and ehhh school for a lot of money.

You should also know that the max scholly from Northeastern is $8.5/yr. which isn't fantastic.

ILikeToBike

Postby ILikeToBike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

blerg wrote:
You should also know that the max scholly from Northeastern is $8.5/yr. which isn't fantastic.

They definitely give higher scholarships than that. They offered me 20k/year.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm

This is a little dated (pre-recession) but it might help:
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

As you can see, you have about a 55% chance, in the best legal times, to graduate New England law with any kind of job. 80% at Suffolk, ~90% at Northeastern.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:28 pm

I agree with Northeastern > Suffolk.
I'm curious as to why you didn't apply to U Mass law? (Granted, it's a crappy school but not any crappier than Suffolk, and with ridiculously low in-state tuition I would think it would have made the list?)

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 pm

daddymike wrote:I'm curious as to why you didn't apply to U Mass law? (Granted, it's a crappy school but not any crappier than Suffolk

Care to back up that assertion?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

daddymike wrote:I agree with Northeastern > Suffolk.
I'm curious as to why you didn't apply to U Mass law? (Granted, it's a crappy school but not any crappier than Suffolk, and with ridiculously low in-state tuition I would think it would have made the list?)

A lot of people are finicky, and will only attend fully accredited schools. :wink:

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 am

Northeastern.

birD

Postby birD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 pm

email dean ellis using this format viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373
if you got into northeastern you will be offered a full or almost full scholarship to suffolk, I recommend emailing her ASAP don't wait. I wasn't offered any $ there, emailed the dean and now have a $35,000 per year scholarship at suffolk. If you have any questions/want advice feel free to PM me.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 pm

birD wrote:email dean ellis using this format viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373
if you got into northeastern you will be offered a full or almost full scholarship to suffolk, I recommend emailing her ASAP don't wait. I wasn't offered any $ there, emailed the dean and now have a $35,000 per year scholarship at suffolk. If you have any questions/want advice feel free to PM me.

This. Suffolk $$$ > NE sticker.

ylnechev

Postby ylnechev » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:13 am

Just an update:

I received 8.5k need-based aid from northeastern and got a 35k yearly scholarship from Suffolk as long as I maintain a 3.0. I'm pretty much decided on Suffolk since that's almost full ride and I know Suffolk has a strong community in Boston and I wanna stay in Boston. I would still like to hear what everyone thinks given these new developments. Thanks!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 am

What is the median at Suffolk? If that 3.0 means top 50% (or 60% or higher), I'd say take the money and run.

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 am

snapdragon wrote:What is the median at Suffolk? If that 3.0 means top 50% (or 60% or higher), I'd say take the money and run.

I have been told by students at Suffolk that there is a 3.0 curve there. By that logic, it would mean that one must remain in the top half of the class. However, I have also read that anyone who maintains a GPA lower than a 2.75 is placed on academic warning. This fact leads me to believe that although Suffolk may say that they have a 3.0 curve, in actuality it is probably higher (3.10 ~ 3.20). I think that one should be able to maintain a 3.0 based on effort alone.

Just my 2 cents.

81wf53

Postby 81wf53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Not Northeastern! Save the spot for someone who absolutely without a doubt wants to go there; who has had that school as his or her top choice for the past 18 months!!! <cough cough>

BlondieNYC

Postby BlondieNYC » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I must disagree from all the Suffolk haters.
It's a good school, they care about their students, and there is a lot of well known graduates from there.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm

BlondieNYC wrote:I must disagree from all the Suffolk haters.
It's a good school, they care about their students, and there is a lot of well known graduates from there.

Way to necro this thread. Sadly, caring about students doesn't translate into employment. I know a lot of Suffolk Law grads as well, they are waiters.

Alchemist1655

Postby Alchemist1655 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm

BlondieNYC wrote:I must disagree from all the Suffolk haters.

+1

Stillwater is a pair of razzle dazzle red clowns shoes -- :roll:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”