USNWR 2012 Hypothesis Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fakemoney

Bronze

Re: USNWR 2012 Hypothesis

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 am

Hey, does anyone know which were the 74 schools that didn't report at-graduation employment data?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:45 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:I have a hyperthesis.
Is that where you state your position after a triple shot of espresso and a snort of cocaine?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am

fakemoney wrote:Hey, does anyone know which were the 74 schools that didn't report at-graduation employment data?
Plenty of T2s on the list. Only Alabama from the first tier, and that was due to a mistake.

13 T2 schools to be exact.
Last edited by Justathought on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 am

rad law wrote:I have a thought. Chill out for 5 days until the rankings come out.

Agreed. Listening to tons of chillwave here, and I suggest you do the same. Getting super chillzy to Com Truise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOz5dNtAJd0

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 am

Plenty of T2s on the list. Only Alabama from the first tier, and that was due to a mistake.

http://cache.abovethelaw.com/uploads/20 ... -large.jpg

Cool, thanks. These schools might get hit in the next rankings -- unless the deans decide to try to "game" the rankings by actually helping students get jobs.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:51 am

bigmonster110 wrote:I believe educated guesses about 2012 rankings can be made based on the recent letter from USNWR. Note the following language: "Specifically, employment after graduation is relevant data that prospective students and other consumers should be entitled to. ... [W]e have changed the way we compute employment rates for the rankings due out March 15." http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... yment-data.

Employment at graduation ("M0"), which currently accounts for 4% of a school's raw score, will likely see an increase in weight. And employment after 9 months ("M9"), currently 14%, will decrease in weight. http://www.usnews.com/education/article ... ethodology.

The magnitude of any changes is impossible to know, but we can make generalizations about what schools might go up or down based on this hypothesis. What schools have a relatively high M0? And what schools have a relatively low M0? http://cache.abovethelaw.com/uploads/20 ... -large.jpg. These schools are likely to increase, or decrease, respectively. What schools would see the biggest change? The top 5 in each category are below, with raw score delta if the M0/M9 distribution is inverted:

Positive Change
Emory +.14
Duke +0
Stanford -.01
NYU -.02
Columbia -.07

Negative change
UNC -1.99
UWM -1.75
Iowa -1.51
UMN -1.27
UIUC & BC -1.14

Let's assume Stanford and Columbia aren't going to move, and remove them. (Stanford would have to leapfrog Harvard, which is unlikely to change by this measure, and Columbia would have to beat one of HYS, which seems unlikely.) Then, the top 5 gainers would be:

Emory +.14
Duke +0
NYU -.02
UCD -.08
UT-Austin -.14

Note: I only did this analysis through Fordham, #34.

The weights might not be altered drastically (or at all--heh), in which case the effect would be minor. USNWR could increase the total employment percentage from its current 18% (4% M0 + 14% M9). While this would make no change by itself, any effect of altering the M0/M9 distribution would be magnified. Ultimately, the relative performance of each school is what counts, and we can test that if we assume some change in the M0/M9 distribution is made, no matter how large it is.

Thoughts?
I'm amazed that you have this much time to waste.

bigmonster111

New

Post by bigmonster111 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 pm

OP here. I just got a message that my username was banned because of "proxy use." Not even sure what that means, or what rule I broke. Is this in the wrong forum? Maybe a mod can help me out here. Just registered another one to answer some questions. If I'm doing something untoward please just let me know what it is...
HugitOut wrote:
bigmonster110 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:3 Year Old Data + 1st ever TLS post = Emory Troll
It's my understanding that 2008 graduation data is the most recent data available to USNWR, and is what is reflected in the 2010 rankings. If I'm mistaken, please point me to the updated data and I'll use that instead. And for what it's worth, not an Emory troll at all. I actually go to one of the schools in the middle of the pack, with little expected change.
Did you not just say in your previous post you are at one of those schools that you outlined should be moving?
Sorry, what I meant was that I attend one of the schools for which I ran this analysis. So, #1-#34. Not one of the 10+ that happened to turn out at the top or bottom of the analysis.
Justathought wrote:There has been some hate, but there isn't much good stuff here in my opinion. I think the OP is ignoring the fundamental flaw in the way USNWR deals with employment data.

So I'll bump my own post and ask for the OP's thoughts on this statement.
I too think patience is required. However, I'll bite and say if this is in fact the methodology they chose to use, it would be just as useless. Who cares what the numbers are at graduation or at 9 months after graduation? Both of these numbers are supplied by the schools and often leave a vast amount of graduates in statistical limbo. For example, Emory, with its lofty 95% employment statistic 9 months after graduation, only reports salary for approximately 64% of its graduates. This is where the problem lies, and its why schools like Hofstra have a median salary of $160,000.

We have no idea what the people who do not report are making. Doc review can count as employed in private practice, right? I'm hoping USNWR went another route, because they did say they agree with the efforts of lawschooltransparency. Punish schools that only manage to report meager amounts of detailed salary data, reward those who audit thoroughly.
There are plenty of normative arguments about why the ranking system the USNWR uses is flawed, perhaps fundamentally. I'm not endorsing USNWR's methodology, I'm just attempting to make a positive observation about how a possible change in methodology would affect the next set of rankings. Some of your points are quite valid, as are those that others have mentioned, but they don't really apply here.
TheTopBloke wrote:I'm amazed that you have this much time to waste.
To be fair, it only took about 30 minutes. I'm sure most people spend much more than 30 minutes per day doing wasteful things, and I rather enjoyed doing it.

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Anyone have a strong feeling about GW's movement one way or another? Weirdly volatile for T30

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:01 pm

dr123 wrote:why do people give so much of fuck about this nonsense
I think the better question is, why do people get so angry about someone spending an hour or so crunching some numbers. For all of you who get you panties in a wad about it, are you saying you haven't watched an hour of tv this week, or read TLS for an hour this week, because those are not more productive. This is site called Top Law Schools, so people discussing which schools will retain/lose/gain spots is not a big deal. Is it OP that really needs to chill? I don't think so.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

enron123 wrote:Anyone have a strong feeling about GW's movement one way or another? Weirdly volatile for T30
What data are you referring to?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:06 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
enron123 wrote:Anyone have a strong feeling about GW's movement one way or another? Weirdly volatile for T30
GWU

2009: 20
2010: 28
2011: 20

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:37 am

Justathought wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Hey, does anyone know which were the 74 schools that didn't report at-graduation employment data?

Any chance you can re-post the link?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 am

tttlllsss wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
GWU

How is that volatile at all? The year GW was 28 was the anomaly.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:51 am

ResolutePear wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Wow, Pear, I want to thank you for sharing that... I showed it to my wife and she is still laughing.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Wow, Pear, I want to thank you for sharing that... I showed it to my wife and she is still laughing.
:lol:

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
GWU

How is that volatile at all? The year GW was 28 was the anomaly.
It was also almost entirely due to the fact that USNWR started using PT and FT LSAT/GPA's in calculating medians

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spets

Bronze

Post by spets » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 am

:|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”