BU or USC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU or USC

BU
47%
USC
53%

Total votes: 19

NotImportant

New

BU or USC

Post by NotImportant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:42 pm

BU or USC

Unfortunately I don't know which part of the country I will eventually end up in and so national reputation/access is important to me.

Also, I'm assuming even money (I don't know if this will in fact be the case or not). Would money swing you one way or the other?
Last edited by NotImportant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: BU or USC

Post by tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 pm

what are goals?

and really no geographical preference at all?

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 pm

This is stupid

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I don't think there is enough info given to make a recommendation here - if not location etc what factors do matter to you?

That said I'd go with USC no matter what honestly...but maybe thats based on MY location preference

NotImportant

New

Post by NotImportant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm speaking in terms of long term employment prospects, quality of education, quality of life, etc. I'm really just looking for people's base feelings - even if they are dependent on their own circumstances.

There really is no geographical preference. I'm happy to live in either city.

And Enron, thank you for your contribution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 pm

if it counts for anything BU apparently was just ranked #1 by Princeton Review for best professors, #10 for career prospects, and #8 or something like that for classroom experience.

boston is also really cold. and USC is ranked higher by USNWR.

*i don't really want to go into how lightly we should take rankings and evaluations. methodology by USNWR and PR is arguably laughable. but it seems you are torn, these are resources that guide the wills and whims of people (possibly read recruiters at firms).

long term employment prospects... does this mean you would like to work in private practice? check their % employed at graduation, 9 months out, and distribution between private practice, government, PI, JC, and business

are you interested in IP and tech law? USC is in california...

i think you should visit and get a feel of the school, the students, do they share your passions and drives?

hope this helps

NotImportant

New

Post by NotImportant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Tourdeforcex, thanks for the response!

I suppose I should add a caveat, which I will edit into my original post, that my lack of a geographical preference is tied to not knowing which part of the US I will end up in long term. I know this isn't ideal, but its my situation and thus I'm looking for a school that will carry me father nationally.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I feel like the employment prospects of these schools is comparable (possible slight edge to BU because it places better into NYC which is a huge boon, though USC was doing better than BU for the half decade or so of boom years prior to ITE).

This should really come down to whether you prefer to live/work in Boston/NYC or LA/California.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm

NotImportant wrote:my lack of a geographical preference is tied to not knowing which part of the US I will end up in long term.
OP has no preference because OP has no preference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 am

How can you not have some inkling of a preference between LA and Boston? Where are your friends and family, choose based on that if you have no geographical preference.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 am

flame. Throw some gas on the OP. :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”