Chicago vs. Duke $ vs. Vandy $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Chicago (sticker)
61%
Duke ($54k)
32%
Vandy ($84k)
6%

Total votes: 31

duckmoney

Chicago vs. Duke $ vs. Vandy $$

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Which should I choose:

Chicago: Paying sticker, total tuition = $136k. I loved the school when I visited, and I was blown away by the career prospects that students had nationally. I was also impressed by the surprisingly cordial / noncompetitive / not socially inept student body. Also, I HATE the weather and have never heard anything good about Hyde Park. This would definitely be the least comfortable / most expensive place in terms of living.

Duke: $54k scholarship, which I was not expecting, total tuition = 86k. I haven't visited yet (ASW in 2 weeks), although I'm sure I will fit in fine. Also visited when I was applying to undergrad (bastards WL'd me then). Durham sucks, although the area immediately around Duke is pretty nice and the research triangle in general is great. Love the weather.

Vandy: $84k scholarship, total tuition = $50k. Loved the school when I visited, love Nashville, love the money, really nothing bad to say about it other than it just doesn't place nearly as well as the other schools.

About me:

-Between savings and a working girlfriend, I should be able to cover cost of living out of pocket.
-Want to work / practice in the Southeast
-Strong ties to Florida, definitely wouldn't mind living there
-Would love a federal clerkship

scribelaw

Re: Chicago vs. Duke $ vs. Vandy $$

Postby scribelaw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm

I would pick Chicago and not think twice about it, because their job placement is phenomenal. Also Chicago's small class size (and strength in numerous different markets) means you're competing against fewer people at OCI, which is a real advantage.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

FL? Chi.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 pm

scribelaw wrote:I would pick Chicago and not think twice about it, because their job placement is phenomenal. Also Chicago's small class size (and strength in numerous different markets) means you're competing against fewer people at OCI, which is a real advantage.

I agree that their job placement is phenomenal, although all 3 of these schools have very small class sizes.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

rad law wrote:FL? Chi.

Does UC have a very strong reputation in Florida or something?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:21 pm

duckmoney wrote:

Not stronger than anywhere else, but stronger than Duke or Vandy.

And incidentally, you'll open up more options for yourself if FL doesn't work out.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Because you want to live & work in the Southeast , you have three great choices. Visit all three & see if one stands out. In my opinion, you can't make a wrong choice based on your offers & in light of your geographic preference.

drylo

Postby drylo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 am

rad law wrote:
duckmoney wrote:

Not stronger than anywhere else, but stronger than Duke or Vandy.

And incidentally, you'll open up more options for yourself if FL doesn't work out.

I don't really disagree with this, but I think you may overstate it a little bit. Honestly, from my experience (admittedly not bidding in Florida), it seems that in markets like FL (where there is no law school with the same level of prestige as any of these three) all three of them would offer a similar advantage in that they are highly-respected schools compared to the Florida schools.

Incidentally, I agree with CanadianWolf on this one. They are all good options for you... just depends on what you want. One thing to be aware of, though, is that your grades are going to be more important than which of those schools you attend.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”