Emory vs. SMU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you attend?

Emory ($75k)
56%
SMU ($77k)
44%

Total votes: 25

adamtx11

New

Emory vs. SMU

Post by adamtx11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm from Texas and really like it there. I want to go to the best school possible though and have the best chance at a big-law job

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Emory vs. SMU

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Go to SMU. Ties to the area plus desire to practice in that region plus law school in that region = best shot at biglaw. Just realize biglaw from SMU is far from a guaranteed thing.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Go to SMU. Ties to the area plus desire to practice in that region plus law school in that region = best shot at biglaw. Just realize biglaw from SMU is far from a guaranteed thing.
This. FWIW, though, I get the impression that biglaw is far from a guaranteed thing at either of these schools.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Marionberry wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Go to SMU. Ties to the area plus desire to practice in that region plus law school in that region = best shot at biglaw. Just realize biglaw from SMU is far from a guaranteed thing.
This. FWIW, though, I get the impression that biglaw is far from a guaranteed thing at either of these schools.
Excellent point: I didn't mean to imply by my (ambiguous) post that your biglaw chances would be increased significantly by choosing either school, nor that either school gives you a particularly good shot.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 pm

How can anyone vote for Emory? SMU all the way here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adamtx11

New

Post by adamtx11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 pm

While I did grow up in Texas and have many "ties" to the region, I have no connections in the legal field. I like Emory because of its reputation and the fact that it is the best law school in its region. If I did well enough and made a few contacts while in school, I'm fairly confident I could return to Texas if I wanted to. While SMU does well in Dallas, I feel like my job prospects will always be slightly inhibited by the presence UT (which I would go to in an instant If I got off their waitlist).

tough decisions await...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 pm

From what I've seen SMU gets a lot of respect in Dallas. If you get good grades there, I don't think it would limit you in Dallas at all. On the other hand, as someone who is very familiar with Atlanta--Emory is competing with loads of UVA, Duke, UGA, and GA State Mercer grads. Yet Emory doesn't get preferential treatment over any of them unless your grades are really high.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm

adamtx11 wrote:While I did grow up in Texas and have many "ties" to the region, I have no connections in the legal field.
Precisely why SMU is the better choice.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:12 pm

kalvano wrote:
adamtx11 wrote:While I did grow up in Texas and have many "ties" to the region, I have no connections in the legal field.
Precisely why SMU is the better choice.
+1. If you really want Texas--> SMU hands down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adamtx11

New

Post by adamtx11 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I understand what you all are saying. I just don't like the feeling of turning down a better school that is offering the same amount of money

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50 pm

adamtx11 wrote:I understand what you all are saying. I just don't like the feeling of turning down a better school that is offering the same amount of money
In what respect do you consider Emory a better school? I'm not saying it's not, but it's worth considering that some schools are better for some people than others. SMU only placed about 4% less in the NLJ250, and it happens to be where you want to be. Other than that, I'm not sure what significant differences there are. Neither school is gonna carry you real far outside of it's region.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”