All Sticker: UMiami v Temple (PT) v Pitt v Penn State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best of the four (all sticker)

UMiami
13%
Penn State
13%
Pitt
22%
Temple (PT)
53%

Total votes: 32

incase2011

Re: All Sticker: UMiami v Temple (PT) v Pitt v Penn State

Postby incase2011 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Chants, I just read this thread last night:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149104

It seems like job prospects are poor for Miami students as well. At least, that's what's argued. It factors in the economy, smaller classes at bigger law firms. It seems like Miami definitely has some good law firms, but they were arguing that they would only be accessible to the top 10% of the class, if at all.

Of course, this all goes back to the reasoning that you shouldn't go to an expensive law school if you can't get a high paying biglaw job, which holds some water if you check out the $200k loan repayment thread I just made.

Chants

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Feeltheheat? You seem to be the most outspoken on this issue. Why is Miami at sticker worse than Tulane, dozo, St. Johns, Penn St, Brooklyn, Georgia St., etc. etc.?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Chants wrote:Feeltheheat? You seem to be the most outspoken on this issue. Why is Miami at sticker worse than Tulane, dozo, St. Johns, Penn St, Brooklyn, Georgia St., etc. etc.?

I'm from Miami, so it's close to home and thus my familiarity. I'm sure other schools are just as bad, I'm just geographically biased.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Also, given the type of law practice available in Miami (read: not biglaw), there are two schools that are not only better but a fraction of the cost, something I'm not sure is the case with the other schools.

Chants

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:51 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Also, given the type of law practice available in Miami (read: not biglaw), there are two schools that are not only better but a fraction of the cost, something I'm not sure is the case with the other schools.

That makes sense. Thanks for the response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything miami specific compared to other high tuition/marginal job prospect schools.

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
incase2011 wrote:Also patrickd, what are these programs you're talking about (I'm trying to look them up without a lot of luck). I'm not too proud to admit I have no idea what you're talking about haha. What kind of career are you talking about?

I'll take your questions in reverse order.

Career: an MPA will allow you to do two things. First, you'll be qualified in most states to sit for the CPA exam. Becoming a CPA has lots of immediate advantages and career opportunities. You could join a tax consulting group at a Big4 firm (or smaller firm), lobby, or work as a CPA in all the normal capacities. If you decide it's terrible and you hate it, you'll have some serious work experience in a relevant corporate area. At that point, go to law school. Having your CPA is a huge signaler for firms if you decide you want to do tax after law school.

The programs:
Texas MPA is widely considered the best. If you're a Texas resident, it's criminally cheap.
UIUC has both an MS-Tax and an MS-Accounting program I would check out.
Michigan's MSAcc. is also highly regarded.

That should get you started. I'm too lazy to cut and paste the other links, but if you're competent on the interwebz, you should have no problems finding them. Feel free to PM me if you've got any other questions!

TBF, most of those programs require at least 2 years WE for admittance, which I’m guessing OP doesn’t have.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm

battle_tested wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
incase2011 wrote:Also patrickd, what are these programs you're talking about (I'm trying to look them up without a lot of luck). I'm not too proud to admit I have no idea what you're talking about haha. What kind of career are you talking about?

I'll take your questions in reverse order.

Career: an MPA will allow you to do two things. First, you'll be qualified in most states to sit for the CPA exam. Becoming a CPA has lots of immediate advantages and career opportunities. You could join a tax consulting group at a Big4 firm (or smaller firm), lobby, or work as a CPA in all the normal capacities. If you decide it's terrible and you hate it, you'll have some serious work experience in a relevant corporate area. At that point, go to law school. Having your CPA is a huge signaler for firms if you decide you want to do tax after law school.

The programs:
Texas MPA is widely considered the best. If you're a Texas resident, it's criminally cheap.
UIUC has both an MS-Tax and an MS-Accounting program I would check out.
Michigan's MSAcc. is also highly regarded.

That should get you started. I'm too lazy to cut and paste the other links, but if you're competent on the interwebz, you should have no problems finding them. Feel free to PM me if you've got any other questions!

TBF, most of those programs require at least 2 years WE for admittance, which I’m guessing OP doesn’t have.

No argument here. That still doesn't mean OP should consider going that route instead of law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”