Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 pm

I've narrowed down my decision to:

Kentucky (in with in-state tuition scholly contingent on top 50%)
Ole Miss (in, OOS tuition 1L, in-state tuition 2L and 3L. Very cheap)
Tennessee (pending, in-state, expecting a waitlist with a ~50% chance of ultimately being accepted. top choice easily)
FSU (held)
Wake (waitlist)
SMU PT (pending)

So here's the dilemma. I have a $250 non-binding deposit due at Ole Miss on April 1st. I also have to decide if I will accept Kentucky's scholly by April 15th-- that deposit IS binding. So right now, I'm basically trying to choose between Ole Miss (with the ability to wait for Tennessee and other waitlists) or Kentucky with scholly (cycle over). Cost is not the biggest issue for me, but of course I'd like to save money. Kentucky is the better school, but Ole Miss is cheaper even at sticker. I'm also worried about losing the UK scholly. I REALLY want UTK. Here's where I want to work:

1. Nashville (born and raised. great legal connections)
2. Louisville/Lexington/Memphis/North Mississippi/Jackson

What in the world should I do? I have to decide Ole Miss + Waitlists vs. UK + conditional scholly in the next two weeks or so. Thanks!

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Take the money at Kentucky. Bird and bushes, bro

jtb00711
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby jtb00711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

UK, bigger and better markets than Mississippi has to offer.

jaymaynard
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby jaymaynard » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:53 pm

I'd go with UK. I am having a strikingly similar decision to make as a Tennessee resident scorned by UT deciding between Ole Miss at sticker and Arkansas with a decent scholarship. I am 90% sure I'm going to go with Ark, but am going to visit the campus before making that 100%

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I should clarify that Ole Miss places well in Memphis and has a better alumni base than UK in Nashville (my ideal location). Also, Ole Miss is a little cheaper than UK if I maintain the UK scholly and significantly cheaper than UK if I were to lose the UK scholly. Does that change your opinion at all?

EDIT: I also really do think that I have a legit shot at getting off a UTK waitlist and Tennessee is the best option for me by far.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

I still think you have a shot at UT, but in the event you don't get in, i'd say it is just a matter of personal preference. i'm not sure how UK places in TN, but Ole Miss places a lot in TN. it is the second biggest destination for Ole Miss grads, especially memphis & nashville. that being said, the OCI sucks at ole miss this year. there are a few big firms that come, but this year they were basically all out of jackson or birmingham and you need to be top 5% or so.

anymore questions on ole miss i'd be happy to answer. best of luck with your decision.

btw, have you visited Oxford?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Well it is hard to really make this decision for you. I'd take the money but you are right there is a possibility that you will lose your scholarship. I don't think you would be wrong to choose Ole Miss as long as you are sure you could get in-state tuition but I still think I would choose UK. If you aren't in the top 50% of your class will Ole Miss take you to Nashville? I think that is important thing to consider. I would wait as long as I could for a Tennessee acceptance either way. Good luck!

IvanFK
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby IvanFK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Maybe RC fail here...but I don't think putting the deposit down forces you to withdraw from WLs, just from acceptances. You can still ride out your WLs and lose your UK deposit if you get into UT (you may want to check the fine prints of your response form at UK)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Visit Kentucky & Ole Miss, then decide.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 pm

deadpanic wrote:btw, have you visited Oxford?


Not yet, but I'm going to try to visit before April 1st. I have a good idea of the atmosphere of the school (big SEC frat) and everyone I've talked to loves Oxford. I'm very familiar with UK. Both schools have different feels, but I'd be happy at either.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 pm

If you still like Mississippi after visiting, then that may be the better choice because alumni are very loyal.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

IvanFK wrote:Maybe RC fail here...but I don't think putting the deposit down forces you to withdraw from WLs, just from acceptances. You can still ride out your WLs and lose your UK deposit if you get into UT (you may want to check the fine prints of your response form at UK)


The deposit at Ole Miss would allow me to keep the waitlists (which is a major plus for depositing at Ole Miss). Due to the scholarship offer, the deposit at UK would be binding. The scholarship letter says, in bold: "In fairness to other applicants, we ask that you accept or decline this offer by April 15th, along with your first tuition deposit".

IvanFK
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby IvanFK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm

EricBerry wrote:
IvanFK wrote:Maybe RC fail here...but I don't think putting the deposit down forces you to withdraw from WLs, just from acceptances. You can still ride out your WLs and lose your UK deposit if you get into UT (you may want to check the fine prints of your response form at UK)


The deposit at Ole Miss would allow me to keep the waitlists (which is a major plus for depositing at Ole Miss). Due to the scholarship offer, the deposit at UK would be binding. The scholarship letter says, in bold: "In fairness to other applicants, we ask that you accept or decline this offer by April 15th, along with your first tuition deposit".


Yea, but do they say "and please withdraw from all outstanding acceptances and applications" or something like that? I'm pretty sure you can just put down your deposit, and say in June you get into UT, you just withdraw your application to UK, and put down a deposit at UT. You would lose your deposit, but UK just made money on your deposit and they'll give your scholarship to someone else. This isn't the same thing as say...reneging on your ED contract.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:37 pm

IvanFK wrote:Yea, but do they say "and please withdraw from all outstanding acceptances and applications" or something like that? I'm pretty sure you can just put down your deposit, and say in June you get into UT, you just withdraw your application to UK, and put down a deposit at UT. You would lose your deposit, but UK just made money on your deposit and they'll give your scholarship to someone else. This isn't the same thing as say...reneging on your ED contract.


I just read the letter again and noticed that at the bottom of the scholarship form, you have to check either "Yes, I accept the scholarship and will be attending UK in the fall" or "I do not accept the scholarship, withdraw my app". That sounds pretty binding to me.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby Sentry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Stay with the Chiefs.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Major dilemma. Must decide soon. Please advise!

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Sentry wrote:Stay with the Chiefs.


Playing pro football just isn't very fulfilling for me. So I'm gonna take out loans, study the law, and help the underprivileged.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo, MSNbot Media and 1 guest