BU ($75k) vs. GULC (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FutureInLaw

BU ($75k) vs. GULC (sticker)

Postby FutureInLaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Or, to put it another way, roughly $95k of debt at BU or roughly $200k worth of debt at GULC.

Still waiting for other schools, but this may be my decision. Love both Boston and DC, so location is not a concern.

General thoughts?

Marionberry

Re: BU ($75k) vs. GULC (sticker)

Postby Marionberry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Or, to put it another way, roughly $95k of debt at BU or roughly $200k worth of debt at GULC.

Still waiting for other schools, but this may be my decision. Love both Boston and DC, so location is not a concern.

General thoughts?

Whatchoo wanna do?

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Not fully committed to any field, necessarily.

I'd love a job with an international aspect to it, whether that's a firm with international offices or international law.

Other possible route is education advocacy / policy.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Not fully committed to any field, necessarily.

I'd love a job with an international aspect to it, whether that's a firm with international offices or international law.

Other possible route is education advocacy / policy.

Someone else may bet better able to provide feedback than I can, but if looking for a firm with international offices, which I think would pretty much be limited to biglaw, I think your odds out of GULC are much better. I would say the same about finding a PI job dealing with education. If you really want to go into policy, a JD may not be the best way to get there. I don't know how much of a possibility it actually is to get a policy job with a JD, and without a MPP or some similar degree.

If you're not terribly debt averse, and you're PI/biglaw or bust, GULC may be the better choice. It's certainly a lot more debt though, so you have to figure out of the increased opportunites are worth it for you. Where do you want to practice?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 pm

BU because it is feasible to pay back the debt in 10 years if you end up with a $40-50k job.

Your ability to be placed internationally is probably going to have a lot more to do with you than with the difference between BU and GULC (though GULC would have an edge here).

Education advocacy/policy... I don't think a JD is the right call for this stuff.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:education advocacy / policy.

Something along those lines could fall within the realm of LRAP-eligible, so you should look into that.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

bk1 wrote:BU because it is feasible to pay back the debt in 10 years if you end up with a $40-50k job.

Your ability to be placed internationally is probably going to have a lot more to do with you than with the difference between BU and GULC (though GULC would have an edge here).

Education advocacy/policy... I don't think a JD is the right call for this stuff.

These are good points, too. Honestly, for the kind of things you're talking about, you will probably have be at the very top of either of those schools for them to be possible. It might be worth looking at what school you would be better off graduating at median from.

disclaimer:I'm really talkin out of my ass ITT. I just feel like posting.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Or, to put it another way, roughly $95k of debt at BU or roughly $200k worth of debt at GULC.

General thoughts?

Also keep in mind that going to TL Forums for career/debt advice is like going to Haiti for medical advice--caveat emptor.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 pm

BU

Less debt, GT's job prospects aren't so significantly better, and your class size is smaller.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm

BU.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:08 am

Go with less debt. BU has actually been weathering the legal recession well, according to their latest NLJ 250 numbers. You should just assume right off the bat you're not going to get Biglaw from either of those schools, though. So go to the one that lets you pay off your debt with a $60K starting salary.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 am

JCougar wrote:Go with less debt. BU has actually been weathering the legal recession well, according to their latest NLJ 250 numbers. You should just assume right off the bat you're not going to get Biglaw from either of those schools, though. So go to the one that lets you pay off your debt with a $60K starting salary.

You're probably right, but from what I've seen, GULC's OCI blows BU's out of the water in terms of # of firms, but if you go by the most recent NLJ stats (if you find them to be a reliable metric that is), it's a significant difference in placement (~8%), but is it worth the extra money? BU has pretty swell placement for its rank, pretty comparable with the $$$.

How risk-averse are you? Do you want to bet the extra 5 (possibly 6) figures on yourself? Or rather play it safe? If you're medianpwned at BU no reason to think you'd be better off at GULC, and at least BU has no stipulations. If you're top 25% or higher at BU then you should be golden. At the extreme ends, BU is the clearcut winner-you'd be fucked bottom quartile at either school, but at least at BU you'd owe less money. Tippy top at either school, no meaningful difference, really. Median-that might be another story, I don't know. I'd rather be median with 25k/yr from BU than median at sticker at GULC is what I'll say. Pretty much any way you slice it, the money makes BU the logical winner.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 am

The NLJ stats are the most reliable stats out there. They're reported by the law firms, not the law schools.

Georgetown has more firms at OCI, but they have a class size of like 600 people.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 am

JCougar wrote:The NLJ stats are the most reliable stats out there. They're reported by the law firms, not the law schools.

I was mostly covering my bases. Are they reported by the firms? I don't know, there's the whole self-reported thing, but maybe they're ok.

All I know is, I don't think Georgetown is that much better than BU to justify the extra money. I might be in the same boat, and would personally only pass up the money for Cornell or higher, but maybe I'm an idiot.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 am

Make a poll!!!
:mrgreen:

But I would vote BU. If it were $30K, or less, I would probably say G'Town.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am

Yeah...the NLJ 250 numbers are compiled by asking the NLJ 250 firms who they hired, not by asking the law schools where they sent their class. The law schools would obviously lie if this task were delegated to them.

The stats you can't trust are the salary statistics reported by the law schools themselves.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 am

JCougar wrote:The NLJ stats are the most reliable stats out there. They're reported by the law firms, not the law schools.

Georgetown has more firms at OCI, but they have a class size of like 600 people.

IMO the amount of people you're competing against is irrelevant. If you're trying to nab a specific job in biglaw, you should be more concerned with percentages.

Not to be trite but top 50% is still top 50%, regardless of how big the class size is. Same goes for the estimated percentage of graduates that are offered biglaw positions.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:06 am

This is an easy BU vote. GULC at sticker? Is you crazy, fool?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 am

bender18 wrote:

IMO the amount of people you're competing against is irrelevant. If you're trying to nab a specific job in biglaw, you should be more concerned with percentages.

Not to be trite but top 50% is still top 50%, regardless of how big the class size is. Same goes for the estimated percentage of graduates that are offered biglaw positions.

That was my point. The poster I was responding to seemed to be noting that GULC had a ton of firms at OCI...I was pointing out that that matters little given their class size.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Make a poll!!!
:mrgreen:

But I would vote BU. If it were $30K, or less, I would probably say G'Town.

BU.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

JCougar wrote:
bender18 wrote:

That was my point. The poster I was responding to seemed to be noting that GULC had a ton of firms at OCI...I was pointing out that that matters little given their class size.

Oh okay gotcha

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 am

woops, double post
Last edited by bender18 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:28 am

Not to hijack but what if it was BU 75k vs Cornell sticker.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am

If you want biglaw or Art III clerkship, take the T14.
Otherwise, BU/BC/GW etc. are all good options with a decent scholarship.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:23 am

nearly 40% of the class from BC/BU get biglaw/Article III....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”