Applying With Your Significant Other

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby sarahh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Maybe I am naive, but I do not think the OP is not a flame. I would ask the admissions office to put you in touch with PI students at Columbia. You can also call the PI advising office.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/columbia ... rtunities/
I don't know how accurate this article is, but it seems as though some Columbia people are unhappy with the PI opportunities.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

"People can’t figure me out. They can’t process me. I don’t expect them to."

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

sarahh wrote:Maybe I am naive, but I do not think the OP is not a flame. I would ask the admissions office to put you in touch with PI students at Columbia. You can also call the PI advising office.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/columbia ... rtunities/
I don't know how accurate this article is, but it seems as though some Columbia people are unhappy with the PI opportunities.


yea i saw that.. maybe they're getting their butts into gear now after public embarrassment? either way it's good to know there are students there who care enough to make a stink

(also what's a flame)

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby sarahh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm

mcweanis wrote:
sarahh wrote:Maybe I am naive, but I do not think the OP is not a flame. I would ask the admissions office to put you in touch with PI students at Columbia. You can also call the PI advising office.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/columbia ... rtunities/
I don't know how accurate this article is, but it seems as though some Columbia people are unhappy with the PI opportunities.


yea i saw that.. maybe they're getting their butts into gear now after public embarrassment? either way it's good to know there are students there who care enough to make a stink

(also what's a flame)


Basically someone who is trying to incite a hostile reaction

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

mcweanis wrote:yea i saw that.. maybe they're getting their butts into gear now after public embarrassment? either way it's good to know there are students there who care enough to make a stink


Doubt it. NYU has made its name in PI for awhile. Vast networking opportunities, lots of organizations automatically interviewing at NYU, etc. Some will argue around and around for CLS PI, but it really sounds like that's just some sort of sturm und drang from people who wish CLS had better institutional support for it.

User avatar
legalmo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby legalmo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't get it. The OP's ideal situation is her at CLS and her boyfriend at NYU. Thats already possible. Getting in to HYS would disrupt the ideal plan. Do you need an exit strategy or something, not down with the swirl anymore?

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:25 pm

7 month relationship changes everything... I assumed you had been together for a long time to even consider him in your LS plans.

When I started looking at LS, I was with the woman I was certain I was going to marry. I'm currently single, largely because I'm going to LS on the other side of the country, and realized that if she wouldn't move for me and was willing to take her current life over me, she wasn't worth it.

Go where you go, tell him to do the same, don't let it factor into your decision at all.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Guys, guys - calm down. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the threads that entertain me on TLS lately. I have a life to attend to, jeez.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby chasgoose » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Wholigan wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i don't know, there are some high-gpa/low 170's LSATs on LSN for harvard and stanford, and 172 is actually stanford's 75%. i also like to think a 3.83 from swat counts more than one at a school with more grade inflation/less challenging classes.

yale, no, but that's okay. (his ex goes there!!)


It's a shame, because looking at the stats, it seems like 172 is almost definitely a ding, but 173 would give you a shot at H. Also, I'm not knocking it, but assuming anyone does actually give a bump for UG Prestige/major, are they going to actually consider a gender and sexuality studies major more challenging than the standard fare they see on HLS apps, even from a top lib arts school?


I would argue that Swarthmore where applicants might get a small boost. As it is well known in academic circles that it is very tough to get a 4.0 it's not like the OP is below or that much below the medians and I would imagine she is one of the top students in her graduating class. Some of those top LACs are notorious grade deflators my friend from Reed for example was PBK with like a 3.6-3.7ish gpa and I would imagine that top 10% at reed might be more appealing than say a 3.9 from a lower ranked school where that might not even mean top 10%

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 pm

lol @ 7 months. I thought this was something like my situations of >3 years.

birkenstockmarket
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby birkenstockmarket » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 am

Still trying to figure out why OP thinks Columbia would be better for PI than NYU.

???

Inform yourself, then decide where you would like to go. In this case, why on Earth would you go to Columbia? NYU is substantially substantially better for PI.

Don't be silly.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 am

It frustrates me that tards like the OP get to go to a better law school than me based on 6 questions out of 101 on a marginally predictive test and getting their hand held at a grade inflating private school.

However, 5 years out of law school, I am still convinced I will be in a better position.

I am probably wrong.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 am

chasgoose wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i don't know, there are some high-gpa/low 170's LSATs on LSN for harvard and stanford, and 172 is actually stanford's 75%. i also like to think a 3.83 from swat counts more than one at a school with more grade inflation/less challenging classes.

yale, no, but that's okay. (his ex goes there!!)


It's a shame, because looking at the stats, it seems like 172 is almost definitely a ding, but 173 would give you a shot at H. Also, I'm not knocking it, but assuming anyone does actually give a bump for UG Prestige/major, are they going to actually consider a gender and sexuality studies major more challenging than the standard fare they see on HLS apps, even from a top lib arts school?


I would argue that Swarthmore where applicants might get a small boost. As it is well known in academic circles that it is very tough to get a 4.0 it's not like the OP is below or that much below the medians and I would imagine she is one of the top students in her graduating class. Some of those top LACs are notorious grade deflators my friend from Reed for example was PBK with like a 3.6-3.7ish gpa and I would imagine that top 10% at reed might be more appealing than say a 3.9 from a lower ranked school where that might not even mean top 10%


LoL. Median GPA for 2009 graduating class at Swarthmore was a 3.53.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 am

Sentry wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i am actually already into columbia and he is already into nyu.. the problem is i haven't heard from and think i have a chance at getting in to one of HYS or getting money someplace else.

You don't really.

Edit: Are you a URM? If so then you have a great shot at HYS. If not you have a very, very, very small shot.



Come again? A URM with 3.8/172 is as good as in at HYS.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Sentry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:09 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Sentry wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i am actually already into columbia and he is already into nyu.. the problem is i haven't heard from and think i have a chance at getting in to one of HYS or getting money someplace else.

You don't really.

Edit: Are you a URM? If so then you have a great shot at HYS. If not you have a very, very, very small shot.



Come again? A URM with 3.8/172 is as good as in at HYS.

She's not a URM. Her boyfriend is.

ageofmechz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby ageofmechz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 am

@allyounerds HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about. Or I suppose the worse scenario is that you ARE applying to good schools and this is why no one has any respect for lawyers...in any case she's obviously new to the internet or she would have stopped posting a while ago.

And to the guy who doesn't know about Swarthmore or the value of natural science majors in the sea of useless "poli-sci-pre-law-I-didn't-want-to-try-as-an-undergrad" majors, maybe you should /deleteacount. gj champ.
Last edited by ageofmechz on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:57 am

My BF is a year behind me and we have no idea what his LSAT score will be. I only considered big city locations with multiple schools so that no matter what we could be together. I ended up attending school in Boston. If he gets a 180 he can go to Harvard, if he gets a 158 he can go to Northeastern. If he does terrible, well, there is always New England.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:57 am

ageofmechz wrote:HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about.


what in god's name are you talking about?

ageofmechz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby ageofmechz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 am

FuManChusco wrote:
ageofmechz wrote:HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about.


what in god's name are you talking about?


Try reading the whole thread then commenting. It's funnier that way.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:00 am

ageofmechz wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
ageofmechz wrote:HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about.


what in god's name are you talking about?


Try reading the whole thread then commenting. It's funnier that way.


I did... and it isn't.

ageofmechz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 am

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby ageofmechz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 am

FuManChusco wrote:
ageofmechz wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
ageofmechz wrote:HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about.


what in god's name are you talking about?


Try reading the whole thread then commenting. It's funnier that way.


I did... and it isn't.


Then l2R better noob.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 am

Image

User avatar
samfii
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby samfii » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:10 am

ageofmechz wrote:@allyounerds HAHAHA Holy hell I can't believe I found this thread. So first, congrats to everyone with >1k posts. You have officially proven that regardless of how little value your time is worth, you can still apply to law school. Second, this may be some of the funniest trolling I've seen since Youtube. I feel bad for the girl who started this if only because she expected to get intelligent comments from people who sit on the TLS forums all day. My guess is that the average poster has what? ULCA as their reach? There is no way the majority of you idiots are looking at any of the schools you are flaming about. Or I suppose the worse scenario is that you ARE applying to good schools and this is why no one has any respect for lawyers...in any case she's obviously new to the internet or she would have stopped posting a while ago.


ageofmechz wrote:Then l2R better noob.


Where's ULCA? Is that a good school?
Maybe you should l2W

User avatar
HopelesslyOptimistic
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:14 am

ahduth wrote:
paratactical wrote:
ahduth wrote:What on earth was the point of this thread...

I think this is a thread for her to brag about her relationship, her major, her GPA and her deep, meaningful experience with the ghetto.


I don't think the relationship is going to work out.

Part of it DF pointed out - 200k in debt plus 200k in debt equals... 400k in debt!

Part of it is just a general sense I get however. Let me know how much of this characterization sounds correct. Both of them are from upper middle class backgrounds, their parents paying for the portion of their college that wasn't covered by modest merit scholarships.

Applying to law school with a vague sense that they want to do something positive for the world, they're not sure exactly what however, and they both end up OCI'ing to corporate firms. By the end of law school they've drifted apart, with only the memories of their college experience and their WASP backgrounds in common.

If they do get in fact get married however, divorce comes within four years after a serial run of affairs by the guy.

Thoughts?



Hahahah sorry just read this randomly while lurking through this thread and literally laughed out loud. Hilarious! I think you're spot on! Ha

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Bump so I can find out how this went! OP, let us know! You can't leave a drama like this hanging. Where are you going? Where is your boyfriend going? Are you engaged yet?! :?: :?:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest