Applying With Your Significant Other Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mcweanis

Bronze

Applying With Your Significant Other

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I saw someone suggest this thread somewhere, and since I'm doing it, I thought I'd start it!

My boyfriend and I are both applying to law school; we made the decision to apply independently but are thinking about taking the other into consideration in where we go.

We've had a lot of stress and fights about it because we have similar numbers and went to the same school, but I applied a month earlier (beginning of January) than he did. I've already heard back from four schools and he's only heard from one, so the decision making process is twice as difficult!

Anybody else in a similar situation? My dream scenario so far: Me at Columbia, him at NYU, that way we can stay together if we want to but not be awkward for 2+ years if we break up!
Last edited by mcweanis on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Silver

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:28 pm

TLS is going to love this...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:29 pm

mcweanis wrote:I saw someone suggest this thread somewhere, and since I'm doing it, I thought I'd start it!

My boyfriend and I are both applying to law school; we made the decision to apply independently but are thinking about taking the other into consideration in where we go.

We've had a lot of stress and fights about it because we have similar numbers and went to the same school, but I applied a month earlier (beginning of January) than he did. I've already heard back from four schools and he's only heard from one, so the decision making process is twice as difficult!

Anybody else in a similar situation? My dream scenario: Me at Columbia, him at NYU, that way we can stay together if we want to but not be awkward for 2+ years if we break up!
What's his GPA/LSAT?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Knock wrote:
mcweanis wrote:I saw someone suggest this thread somewhere, and since I'm doing it, I thought I'd start it!

Anybody else in a similar situation? My dream scenario: Me at Columbia, him at NYU, that way we can stay together if we want to but not be awkward for 2+ years if we break up!
What's his GPA/LSAT?
It would really help to know both of your measurables.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 pm

It's also important on how serious you are about the relationship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:42 pm

i'm 3.8/172, he's 3.6/173 - both from swarthmore.

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:44 pm

My gf was considering law school for a time and we were thinking about how to do the applying together thing. In retrospect, I'm really glad that she ultimately changed her mind...our numbers are really different (me 3.4/170 URM her 3.9x/154 non-URM altho I'm certain she could've brought that LSAT wayyy up had she prepped for it) so going together would've meant a lot of agonizing compromise over someplace we would both get into. This cycle has been hard enough as is with our current plan (i go to LS, she finds a job wherever I go), I can't really fathom throwing in the stress of us both waiting on different decisions at the same schools.

Hopefully things work out for you guys tho. The Columbia/NYU thing obviously seems optimal if you can swing it, best of luck! Based on your numbers though, I imagine you two will have a number of common acceptances to choose from if one of CN don't cooperate.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I think NYU / Columbia would be a workable distance.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm

mcweanis wrote:i'm 3.8/172, he's 3.6/173 - both from swarthmore.
Yeah, I think you'd have a pretty good shot at Columbia/NYU. I don't think U. Penn is more than a couple of hours by bus from NYC either

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Columbia/NYU seems like a good deal.

But I'd never marry a girl with 200K in debt.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

i am actually already into columbia and he is already into nyu.. the problem is i haven't heard from and think i have a chance at getting in to one of HYS or getting money someplace else.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 pm

mcweanis wrote:i am actually already into columbia and he is already into nyu.. the problem is i haven't heard from and think i have a chance at getting in to one of HYS or getting money someplace else.
You don't really.

Edit: Are you a URM? If so then you have a great shot at HYS. If not you have a very, very, very small shot.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

mcweanis wrote:My dream scenario: Me at Columbia, him at NYU, that way we can stay together if we want to but not be awkward for 2+ years if we break up!
I love how, in the ideal situation, he gets saddled with the slightly worse school in case of a breakup.

How about this - you go to NYU, he goes to Cardozo starting in May. Yeah it means Cardozo at sticker, but he's closer to you and has a less hectic schedule. This allows him more time to run your errands. I mean dry cleaning isn't going to pick itself up!

Kidding, good luck to both of you. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Don't mean a thing if you don't got that bling.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Justathought wrote:
mcweanis wrote:My dream scenario: Me at Columbia, him at NYU, that way we can stay together if we want to but not be awkward for 2+ years if we break up!
I love how, in the ideal situation, he gets saddled with the slightly worse school in case of a breakup.
Oh boy! Another CLS > NYU thread. This is going to get good.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

i don't know, there are some high-gpa/low 170's LSATs on LSN for harvard and stanford, and 172 is actually stanford's 75%. i also like to think a 3.83 from swat counts more than one at a school with more grade inflation/less challenging classes.

yale, no, but that's okay. (his ex goes there!!)

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Justathought wrote:

How about this - you go to NYU, he goes to Cardozo starting in May. Yeah it means Cardozo at sticker, but he's closer to you and has a less hectic schedule. This allows him more time to run your errands. I mean dry cleaning isn't going to pick itself up!

Kidding, good luck to both of you. :wink:
Sounds good to me!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:00 pm

this is unhelpful, but op i like your username

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Justathought wrote:
Maybe you should go to UChi and make him go to NU, and make that sucker pay for applying a month late.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:02 pm

If he like it then he shoulda put a ring on it oh oh oh!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm

mcweanis wrote:i don't know, there are some high-gpa/low 170's LSATs on LSN for harvard and stanford, and 172 is actually stanford's 75%. i also like to think a 3.83 from swat counts more than one at a school with more grade inflation/less challenging classes.

It's funny that you write high-gpa when your gpa is below median at all 3 of HYS. I didn't know USNWR bumped up grades from "swat."

You've got great CCN numbers, not HYS numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Sentry wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i don't know, there are some high-gpa/low 170's LSATs on LSN for harvard and stanford, and 172 is actually stanford's 75%. i also like to think a 3.83 from swat counts more than one at a school with more grade inflation/less challenging classes.

It's funny that you write high-gpa when your gpa is below median at all 3 of HYS. I didn't know USNWR bumped up grades from "swat."

Unless, of course, OP, you're URM.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Sentry wrote:

a girl can hope!

i'm not a URM, im white as ballz. and from maine. so extra-white.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 pm

It's a shame, because looking at the stats, it seems like 172 is almost definitely a ding, but 173 would give you a shot at H. Also, I'm not knocking it, but assuming anyone does actually give a bump for UG Prestige/major, are they going to actually consider a gender and sexuality studies major more challenging than the standard fare they see on HLS apps, even from a top lib arts school?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Wholigan wrote:

It's a shame, because looking at the stats, it seems like 172 is almost definitely a ding, but 173 would give you a shot at H. Also, I'm not knocking it, but assuming anyone does actually give a bump for UG Prestige/major, are they going to actually consider a gender and sexuality studies major more challenging than the standard fare they see on HLS apps, even from a top lib arts school?
Sometimes there is a slight bump for people with like electrical engineering from M.I.T.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”