Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm

drmguy wrote:Is it just me or did the rich parents/job lined up/don't worry about debt because i have an excuse threads increase exponentially recently.

I am not saying that OP is doing the same thing, but it seems that people have realized if they make an excuse it will quell the retake hoards.


I don't blame them. It's annoying.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:57 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Western State was 71% can anyone explain this? Is it a wrong statistic? Or was it fudged up?

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

lisjjen wrote:
drmguy wrote:Is it just me or did the rich parents/job lined up/don't worry about debt because i have an excuse threads increase exponentially recently.

I am not saying that OP is doing the same thing, but it seems that people have realized if they make an excuse it will quell the retake hoards.


I don't blame them. It's annoying.


Yeah, I'm not here to brag guys honestly, just trying to make a point that the job after my graduation date is irrelevant in my question.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 pm

lisjjen wrote:
drmguy wrote:Is it just me or did the rich parents/job lined up/don't worry about debt because i have an excuse threads increase exponentially recently.

I am not saying that OP is doing the same thing, but it seems that people have realized if they make an excuse it will quell the retake hoards.


I don't blame them. It's annoying.


If you don't want the truth, don't come to TLS. Go stick your head in the sand instead. If you insist on going to a bad school anyway, the only valid advice anybody can ever give you is to attend the cheapest one.

and OP would have encountered a lot less hostility if he hadn't taken a hostile tone in his first post.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 pm

job lined up = school with cheapest COA.

/thread

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 pm

hokie wrote:job lined up = school with cheapest COA.

/thread


Not if their bar passage rates suck or they fail out a significant portion of 1Ls.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:32 pm

rad law wrote:
hokie wrote:job lined up = school with cheapest COA.

/thread


Not if their bar passage rates suck or they fail out a significant portion of 1Ls.


Rad is right. My local TTTT fails out a quarter of the class by graduation time. And they sent me a little thing the mail saying they are 2nd in the state in first time bar passage.

Seriously, don't gamble on your cousin getting you a job down the road. And Thomas Jefferson and Whittier would be terrible choices.

Reconsider law school. Dude, I am looking at schools with 11k tuition and may or may not go to law school.

Edit: I know someone from when I was in the military who attends Whittier and he deeply, deeply regrets it.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Only reason my first post was so harsh was because of how much shit I get from the snobs in these forums. I'm going to stop posting here, I only get discouraged here anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby rose711 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Only reason my first post was so harsh was because of how much shit I get from the snobs in these forums. I'm going to stop posting here, I only get discouraged here anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.


I don't know if that was sarcastic, but you know there were several people--including me-- trying to give you advice in this thread. I was not putting you down, I just think Thomas Jefferson is the less optimal choice, but that keeping debt low is key. Someone else mentioned go to the school that does not flunk out a large portion of the class. All of this is good and fair advice, not everyone posting in this thread is a snob.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:12 am

General Tso wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
drmguy wrote:Is it just me or did the rich parents/job lined up/don't worry about debt because i have an excuse threads increase exponentially recently.

I am not saying that OP is doing the same thing, but it seems that people have realized if they make an excuse it will quell the retake hoards.


I don't blame them. It's annoying.


If you don't want the truth, don't come to TLS. Go stick your head in the sand instead. If you insist on going to a bad school anyway, the only valid advice anybody can ever give you is to attend the cheapest one.

and OP would have encountered a lot less hostility if he hadn't taken a hostile tone in his first post.


The assumption that anyone who doesn't blindly follow TLS's orders is just sticking their head in the sand is also irritating. I took 15 PTs and I scored higher on the actual test than I did on any of the PTs. I actually had a chat with one of the guys who writes the final version of the LSAT and he told me not to retake.

But guess what? TLS marched right along with their one reply and told me to retake. And told me. And told me. And told me. I've even heard people say retake now that I'm deciding between really good schools with good scholarships.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:19 am

I came back to look over something on these forums. You guys helped a lot, but a lot of people discouraged me here. Listen, I'm waiting for Southwestern..if I get in, I'm going. If you want to tell me that school is bad..fine. I'm going to with the SCALE program and finish up in 2 years and then get an L.L.M. in entertainment law or another field, but entertainment law is appealing to me for now. I can understand, everyone here is looking out for me like a big brother or sister, and I appreciate it, but I can't retake..I took it too many times and it would be impossible..I can't wait any longer, I want to go to school and ride the school out and hopefully find a job, if not my cousin offered me a nice job once I get my JD.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 am

lisjjen wrote:The assumption that anyone who doesn't blindly follow TLS's orders is just sticking their head in the sand is also irritating. I took 15 PTs and I scored higher on the actual test than I did on any of the PTs. I actually had a chat with one of the guys who writes the final version of the LSAT and he told me not to retake.

But guess what? TLS marched right along with their one reply and told me to retake. And told me. And told me. And told me. I've even heard people say retake now that I'm deciding between really good schools with good scholarships.


I would not discourage someone who has a 2/3 to full scholarship from attending a T3 school, as long as they understand the risks and the likely 45-50k salary.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:36 am

General Tso wrote:
lisjjen wrote:The assumption that anyone who doesn't blindly follow TLS's orders is just sticking their head in the sand is also irritating. I took 15 PTs and I scored higher on the actual test than I did on any of the PTs. I actually had a chat with one of the guys who writes the final version of the LSAT and he told me not to retake.

But guess what? TLS marched right along with their one reply and told me to retake. And told me. And told me. And told me. I've even heard people say retake now that I'm deciding between really good schools with good scholarships.


I would not discourage someone who has a 2/3 to full scholarship from attending a T3 school, as long as they understand the risks and the likely 45-50k salary.


Fair 'nuf. The only thing that irritates me worse than the retake crowd are the wide eyed 0Ls who think they'll be making six figures from a TTT.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:I can't retake, and if you consider 70,000 a year very wealthy..then fine. My cousin is an attorney, and he is offering me a job once I am completed if I can't find one.

The reason I can't retake is because I took it twice and I don't want to go through it again. This test is not for me. I studied for 4 months and never hit the 160's. I don't think that makes me stupid, but the test is a tough test for me.


it's not the time you've spent studying, man. It's the method. You can study for 2 years wrong and then do it right in 2 months and your scores will shoot up. Re-think this. Have too many friends who settled like you're about to and they are not happy campers.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 am

99.9luft wrote:
it's not the time you've spent studying, man. It's the method. You can study for 2 years wrong and then do it right in 2 months and your scores will shoot up. Re-think this. Have too many friends who settled like you're about to and they are not happy campers.


That's the thing that I don't think people understand. They think, "I am smarter than my LSAT; I will do well in law school and I'll do well in my career regardless of where I went because I have the skills necessary to succeed as an attorney." The problem is that TONS of people have the skills needed to be an attorney. I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I am great at legal research and writing. I really do have the perfect skill set for this field. But NOBODY CARES. I got jack crap at OCI, mostly because I attend an "inferior" law school.

You could have the talent to be the next freaking Johnny Cochran and it isn't going to mean anything because there is a very good chance that you'll never even get your foot in the door to have a shot.

People misinterpret our warnings as if we are snobby prestige whores, and they don't understand that IT'S NOT US. I'd love to return to the days when Willamette grads could make partner at a medium sized firms.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 am

General Tso wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
it's not the time you've spent studying, man. It's the method. You can study for 2 years wrong and then do it right in 2 months and your scores will shoot up. Re-think this. Have too many friends who settled like you're about to and they are not happy campers.


That's the thing that I don't think people understand. They think, "I am smarter than my LSAT; I will do well in law school and I'll do well in my career regardless of where I went because I have the skills necessary to succeed as an attorney." The problem is that TONS of people have the skills needed to be an attorney. I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I am great at legal research and writing. I really do have the perfect skill set for this field. But NOBODY CARES. I got jack crap at OCI, mostly because I attend an "inferior" law school.

You could have the talent to be the next freaking Johnny Cochran and it isn't going to mean anything because there is a very good chance that you'll never even get your foot in the door to have a shot.

People misinterpret our warnings as if we are snobby prestige whores, and they don't understand that IT'S NOT US. I'd love to return to the days when Willamette grads could make partner at a medium sized firms.


i feel you. but what can we do but warn them? it's their life.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:17 am

Have you considered not studying and just going in there and winging it? I don't know why people "hate" the test and refuse to retake. Just don't study and don't do the grueling stuff. It is a $130 gamble with no downside and if the stars align could be worth thousands.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:48 pm

bartleby wrote:Have you considered not studying and just going in there and winging it? I don't know why people "hate" the test and refuse to retake. Just don't study and don't do the grueling stuff. It is a $130 gamble with no downside and if the stars align could be worth thousands.


You're either a troll or trying to make a point. Either way

NEVER. EVER. EVER. DO THIS!!!

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Peg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, I don't find TLS snobby. Rude and realistic, definitely, but not snobby. Nobody (except a few trolls) has the time to single out one poster and sneer at his decisions for no reason.

Anyway, I'm envious of people who have cousins to hand out jobs to them. Granted, $70k is nothing in California, but still...I would not be agonizing over higher-ranked-at-sticker vs lower-ranked-with-scholly so much if I had that kind of job security.

OP, good luck and I hope you do well whichever law school you end up at.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

lisjjen wrote:
bartleby wrote:Have you considered not studying and just going in there and winging it? I don't know why people "hate" the test and refuse to retake. Just don't study and don't do the grueling stuff. It is a $130 gamble with no downside and if the stars align could be worth thousands.


You're either a troll or trying to make a point. Either way

NEVER. EVER. EVER. DO THIS!!!


Why? Besides writing in big letters, why would this be a bad idea? He's already studied the materials for four months. He didn't break 160. Do you think schools will care if he gets a 152, 150, 140? There's luck in the test. A terrible score won't be punished. A good score will almost definitely be rewarded. Not sure what is so crazy about that.

ProZach
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby ProZach » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 pm

This thread is still winning

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 pm

bartleby wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
bartleby wrote:Have you considered not studying and just going in there and winging it? I don't know why people "hate" the test and refuse to retake. Just don't study and don't do the grueling stuff. It is a $130 gamble with no downside and if the stars align could be worth thousands.


You're either a troll or trying to make a point. Either way

NEVER. EVER. EVER. DO THIS!!!


Why? Besides writing in big letters, why would this be a bad idea? He's already studied the materials for four months. He didn't break 160. Do you think schools will care if he gets a 152, 150, 140? There's luck in the test. A terrible score won't be punished. A good score will almost definitely be rewarded. Not sure what is so crazy about that.


Why not just go in and take the test? This isn't the lottery. If he didn't do well the first time, he won't magically do better without studying. That's like saying "he trained for the 100yd dash for four months. He could just go in and do better than he ever did before. A lot of it is luck."

Whereas some of the LSAT is luck, you're talking about ALOT of luck.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I'm going to with the SCALE program and finish up in 2 years and then get an L.L.M. in entertainment law or another field, but entertainment law is appealing to me for now.


Image

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:40 pm

bartleby wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
bartleby wrote:Have you considered not studying and just going in there and winging it? I don't know why people "hate" the test and refuse to retake. Just don't study and don't do the grueling stuff. It is a $130 gamble with no downside and if the stars align could be worth thousands.


You're either a troll or trying to make a point. Either way

NEVER. EVER. EVER. DO THIS!!!


Why? Besides writing in big letters, why would this be a bad idea? He's already studied the materials for four months. He didn't break 160. Do you think schools will care if he gets a 152, 150, 140? There's luck in the test. A terrible score won't be punished. A good score will almost definitely be rewarded. Not sure what is so crazy about that.


dude, stop providing worst advice ever. LSAT is 99% hard work and only 1% luck, not more.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Please tell me somebody clicked on my link.

lisjjen wrote:Whereas some of the LSAT is luck, you're talking about ALOT of luck.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests