Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
99.9luft

Silver

Re: Help! Tier 3/4 Schools in California

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:Please tell me somebody clicked on my link.
lisjjen wrote: Whereas some of the LSAT is luck, you're talking about ALOT of luck.
now that you've advertised it, yes. no regrets, it was hilarious :)

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:49 pm

you can miss a third of the entire exam and still get a 160. a multiple choice exam isn't the 100 yard dash. i wouldn't advise not studying at all. but maybe just change up strategy. like get 10 right in a section and guess on the next 15. who knows.

either way, you guys are right since the cycle is basically over and it isn't worth wasting a year. but if this was in october, i just don't understand why someone wouldn't retake. he/she would have nothing to lose except $130.
Last edited by bartleby on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:49 pm

General Tso wrote:The problem is that TONS of people have the skills needed to be an attorney. . . . But NOBODY CARES.
You could have the talent to be the next freaking Johnny Cochran and it isn't going to mean anything because there is a very good chance that you'll never even get your foot in the door to have a shot.

People misinterpret our warnings as if we are snobby prestige whores, and they don't understand that IT'S NOT US. I'd love to return to the days when Willamette grads could make partner at a medium sized firms.
This is so true.

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 pm

rad law wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:I'm going to with the SCALE program and finish up in 2 years and then get an L.L.M. in entertainment law or another field, but entertainment law is appealing to me for now.
I love this.

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm

I went to TJ before transferring....totally awesome school, I would put my TJ professors against my T-7 professors any day. The new building is sweet, SD is America's finest city for a reason, and if you put the time in you will get a lot out of your education.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am0rfati

New

Post by am0rfati » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:00 pm

harborleaguemvp wrote:I went to TJ before transferring....totally awesome school, I would put my TJ professors against my T-7 professors any day. The new building is sweet, SD is America's finest city for a reason, and if you put the time in you will get a lot out of your education.
Retake.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 pm

harborleaguemvp wrote:I went to TJ before transferring....totally awesome school, I would put my TJ professors against my T-7 professors any day.
lol T-7 you go to Boalt just say it.
if you put the time in you will get a lot out of your education.
Will you get a job?

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I am at Berzerkeley...ill defer on whether you can get a job for new because thats not an issue considering he has one lined up...its difficult to get a job anywhere these days

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 pm

harborleaguemvp wrote:I am at Berzerkeley...ill defer on whether you can get a job for new because thats not an issue considering he has one lined up...its difficult to get a job anywhere these days
+ a million. Even Boalt is no sure thing in CA right now...how well do you think the typical Thomas Jefferson or Whittier student is faring these days? I was beaten out by 3 or 4 Boalt students for a 70k Fresno midlaw position. That's where we are in CA... Boalt students clamoring over themselves for 70k jobs in one of the worst cities imaginable. Would I have taken that job? ABSOLUTELY. You guys considering these crap schools need a serious reality check.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 pm

General Tso wrote:I was beaten out by 3 or 4 Boalt students for a 70k Fresno midlaw position.
Ewwww.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:04 pm

General Tso wrote:
harborleaguemvp wrote:I am at Berzerkeley...ill defer on whether you can get a job for new because thats not an issue considering he has one lined up...its difficult to get a job anywhere these days
+ a million. Even Boalt is no sure thing in CA right now...how well do you think the typical Thomas Jefferson or Whittier student is faring these days? I was beaten out by 3 or 4 Boalt students for a 70k Fresno midlaw position. That's where we are in CA... Boalt students clamoring over themselves for 70k jobs in one of the worst cities imaginable. Would I have taken that job? ABSOLUTELY. You guys considering these crap schools need a serious reality check.
I forgot that you're in Cali. What's your thoughts on USC?

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Go to the place you like the most....cough San Diego.....and enjoy the shit out of it. Work hard & do the absolute best you can to keep your debt down. Be thankful you have a job lined up & don't rub it in to anybody. Enjoy life and give back a little when you can. The End.

BTW - You 'retake or nothing' kids make this place unbearable at times. It's actually humorous to see the same posters over and over scream about the falling sky. I know, I know you're doing everybody favors. Very kind souls you are.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Wactawshus wrote:Go to the place you like the most....cough San Diego.....and enjoy the shit out of it. Work hard & do the absolute best you can to keep your debt down. Be thankful you have a job lined up & don't rub it in to anybody. Enjoy life and give back a little when you can. The End.

BTW - You 'retake or nothing' kids make this place unbearable at times. It's actually humorous to see the same posters over and over scream about the falling sky. I know, I know you're doing everybody favors. Very kind souls you are.
Only losers don't like hearing the truth. I didn't do well on the LSAT. I'm not going to a top school. But without people on TLS, I'd probably be going to Brooklyn or Kent at sticker because I wanted to make six figures and live in a big city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:33 pm

bartleby wrote:
Wactawshus wrote:Go to the place you like the most....cough San Diego.....and enjoy the shit out of it. Work hard & do the absolute best you can to keep your debt down. Be thankful you have a job lined up & don't rub it in to anybody. Enjoy life and give back a little when you can. The End.

Only losers don't like hearing the truth. I didn't do well on the LSAT. I'm not going to a top school. But without people on TLS, I'd probably be going to Brooklyn or Kent at sticker because I wanted to make six figures and live in a big city.
And without TLS, you'd be straddled with six figures of debt, and likely making 50k in NY. It's a mixed blessing.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 pm

lisjjen wrote: I forgot that you're in Cali. What's your thoughts on USC?
I don't know much about what is going on in SoCal, but I think it's probably still a smart decision if you can keep your debt under 120k or so.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Wactawshus wrote:Very kind souls you are.
what would you do if you were in a position of knowledge and you saw someone about to make a dumb decision? I recently talked a high school friend out of going back to school to study political science. Take a look around, figure out what will bring you success in the 21st century economy. Our generation needs to stop pretending it is 1965...and yes, I am guilty of that and I feel terrible about it. I didn't want to study math in school either, and nobody forced me to do it. So here I am.

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

bartleby wrote:

Ouch!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

General Tso wrote:
what would you do if you were in a position of knowledge and you saw someone about to make a dumb decision? I recently talked a high school friend out of going back to school to study political science. Take a look around, figure out what will bring you success in the 21st century economy. Our generation needs to stop pretending it is 1965...and yes, I am guilty of that and I feel terrible about it. I didn't want to study math in school either, and nobody forced me to do it. So here I am.
I hear ya. The board is priceless for information from a lot of people. I'm just saying that if you have a legitimate job lined up then what the hell does it matter? Why (not saying you did) would someone jump on to tell them to 'retake or don't go' if they are getting $$ from a school in downtown San Diego that is ABA certified? Enjoy your circumstances because they are rare. Enjoy the beach in SD. Enjoy sleeping in and coasting w/ C's knowing you already have what most others are fighting for.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
General Tso wrote:
I hear ya. The board is priceless for information from a lot of people. I'm just saying that if you have a legitimate job lined up then what the hell does it matter? Why (not saying you did) would someone jump on to tell them to 'retake or don't go' if they are getting $$ from a school in downtown San Diego that is ABA certified? Enjoy your circumstances because they are rare. Enjoy the beach in SD. Enjoy sleeping in and coasting w/ C's knowing you already have what most others are fighting for.
That might be a slight exageration. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can't lose it. I'd say it's more like take the money, kick the curve's ass, and enjoy SD.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Is he going to TJ for free and then getting money? I took it that w/ money just meant a partial scholarship to TTT.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I think that a 40-50k salary and a comfortable desk job is a good thing. If it takes three extra years of school to achieve that in the new U.S. economy, so be it. But the costs of obtaining that job should be proportionate to the benefit. I usually support people who want to attend a T3 or T4 school on a 2/3 to full scholarship, provided they understand the risks and probable outcome in terms of salary.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 pm

General Tso wrote:I think that a 40-50k salary and a comfortable desk job is a good thing. If it takes three extra years of school to achieve that in the new U.S. economy, so be it. But the costs of obtaining that job should be proportionate to the benefit. I usually support people who want to attend a T3 or T4 school on a 2/3 to full scholarship, provided they understand the risks and probable outcome in terms of salary.
I actually asked General Tso about a T3 and believe me there is nothing pompous or elitist about what Tso is saying. The job market is absolutely terrible for new J.D.'s. And say you actually got a job in California from TJ or Whittier. You will have a mountain of debt and probably making 40k. 40-50k isn't bad if you have 40-50k in debt, hell even 75k would be manageable. But you are in dangerous territory with these schools and their prices. Every T3/T4 you listed is very, very expensive and situated in an area flooded with much better schools. You are not talking about a T3/T4 school like Montana or Mississippi or something where tuition is around 10k for residents and the cost of living is really low.

And I can hardly be called an elitist with a 3.5/160.

Edit: Know you said cousin is going to hook you up but assume that it falls through.

youngblood

New

Post by youngblood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 pm

I agree it is pointless if you are paying full price and cost of living. I am attending Western in OC. I know it is looked down on here but I am living in a free apartment at home and my debt will be minimal. There is no way in hell I would be doing this if my debt would be more than 65k when it is all said and done but the math works for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”