How important is curriculum?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arvcondor

How important is curriculum?

Postby arvcondor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:04 am

I realize I have another thread running, and this thread is also in the service of deciding between those two schools. But I think this question is relevant enough for all students that it can exist as a standalone thread.

I'd like to know how important a school's curriculum should factor into your decision, at least when considering job prospects coming out of the school. For example, I'd like to enter commercial law in some capacity. One school has a more extensive course offering in business law than the other. As silly as it may sound, is this actually important? Or should I expect to learn enough to basically get a summer associate position and learn from there? Do employers mainly care about just grades and that you've picked up at least the basics of what you'll be doing?

tourdeforcex

Re: How important is curriculum?

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

school curriculum...

for me not very strongly. job prospects weigh much more heavily. as for your specific situation. if both schools place about the same job wise and are in the same tier, sure go for the the one w/ more course offerings.

should I expect to learn enough to basically get a summer associate position and learn from there? Do employers mainly care about just grades and that you've picked up at least the basics of what you'll be doing?

i'm under the impression firms care about grades and whether or not you're in the law review or journals much more than if you've taken an extra 3 business law classes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”