UC Hastings VS UF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings VS UF

UC Hastings
7%
UF
93%

Total votes: 14

PleaseHelpThanks

UC Hastings VS UF

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Last edited by PleaseHelpThanks on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Re: UC Hastings VS UF

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:25 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:UF will cost me about 75-125k less over the three years, because I'm in state for Florida.

I'm most likely going to practice in Florida, but really want to get out of this state for once in my life. FWIW, I have many connections in Florida, and finding a job here will not be a problem, but I really want to live in California for a little, and possibly forever. The way I see it, going to Hastings will leave open the option of returning home to Florida, but going to UF will basically close the door to California forever. I just want to get out of Florida, but I don't know if it's worth the extra 100k. Is it crazy to put myself in this much extra debt?

Also, I could see myself doing Crim, but I don't know for sure.

I know you have connections, but be careful assuming that. Anyways, this is a lifestyle choice, one that basically boils down to your willingness to spend an extra 100k. I know that doesn't help, but I feel that choice far supersedes any other factor. Given the economy and my general risk-averseness, I would say UF 100%. But I don't hate Florida.

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:UF will cost me about 75-125k less over the three years, because I'm in state for Florida.

I'm most likely going to practice in Florida, but really want to get out of this state for once in my life. FWIW, I have many connections in Florida, and finding a job here will not be a problem, but I really want to live in California for a little, and possibly forever. The way I see it, going to Hastings will leave open the option of returning home to Florida, but going to UF will basically close the door to California forever. I just want to get out of Florida, but I don't know if it's worth the extra 100k. Is it crazy to put myself in this much extra debt?

I know you have connections, but be careful assuming that. Anyways, this is a lifestyle choice, one that basically boils down to your willingness to spend an extra 100k. I know that doesn't help, but I feel that choice far supersedes any other factor. Given the economy and my general risk-averseness, I would say UF 100%. But I don't hate Florida.
Last edited by PleaseHelpThanks on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Grow up. Go to UF. Florida is your home. It is the best decision for you and your family.

Your desire to escape is immature. You say: "I want to move to California!" I hear "I want to be a Disney Princess!"

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Damn Dante. The 'Disney Princess' thing was a bit much, don't you think?

OP: Older placement states have UF placing consistently fewer than 3-4% in the Pacific area; I doubt the wingspan for that school has grown since those stats. I didn't bother digging up Hastings info but I'm sure you'll find the same story, placing mostly in CA.

I wouldn't count on either school having any sort of national wingspan unless you are waaayyy at the top of your class, and even then, it's iffy right now. I would go with UF just to minimize debt and maximize job prospects through whatever local connections you might have.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm

well if you're that confident go to Hastings, I doubt I'll work in San Francisco but living here is F'n awesome, even while in law school

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:23 pm

i don't know i would go to hastings if you are fairly sure you will end up wanting to work in florida in the end.

i can see the appeal of CA and SF in particular, but a change of scenery for 3 years isn't worth thousands more and possibly diminished prospects if you return to florida.

if you want to work in CA, however, then i say go for it.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

^I agree. Not worth it if you're planning on returning after LS. If you think you want to live there forever, then by all means go for it. If you just want to try living in Cali for a little while, defer your admission to UF and go chill in SF for the next year working some random job.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

crit_racer wrote:^I agree. Not worth it if you're planning on returning after LS. If you think you want to live there forever, then by all means go for it. If you just want to try living in Cali for a little while, defer your admission to UF and go chill in SF for the next year working some random job.

^ great idea

then you can gain residency and save thousands if you decide to go to LS in CA

Return to “Choosing a Law School”