Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Doesn't sound like you really want to be a lawyer.

doak35
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby doak35 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:Doesn't sound like you really want to be a lawyer.


Yes, definitely a degree of truth to that. The more I think the less sure I am with the direction I want to take the degree after I get it & I'm starting to think that it doesn't make sense to commit at this point. I'm 27 so I've been thinking about it on and off for about 6-7 years, but I haven't really had a breakthrough in terms of direction, and I don't want to be stuck doing work I dont find ultimately rewarding just because I thought it would be a good challenge with some upside.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm

You'll find that the higher ranked the school, the less committed people are to the profession. For some people, law school is more about collecting fancy degrees than becoming a lawyer. And here you are turning down offers from very good schools (but not the type of school you can brag about).

doak35
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby doak35 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:You'll find that the higher ranked the school, the less committed people are to the profession. For some people, law school is more about collecting fancy degrees than becoming a lawyer. And here you are turning down offers from very good schools (but not the type of school you can brag about).


Definitely a degree of truth - my cold feet from these schools is coming from increased uncertainty about what I'd want to do with the degree once I graduate.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby Noval » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Even coming from a T14, chances to find a well paid Entertainment Law job are slim to none unless you have very strong ties in the industry.

Entertainment Law is a small and elitist circle, do NOT go to Law School with only Entertainment Law in sight.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Are you seriously this fucking stupid?

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby Noval » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Are you seriously this fucking stupid?


Someone is from a TTT ^

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Noval wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Are you seriously this fucking stupid?


Someone is from a TTT ^


You wish.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby Noval » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
Noval wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Are you seriously this fucking stupid?


Someone is from a TTT ^


You wish.


No need to wish, it's a reality already.

Coffee is needed in the conference room, now move your ass.

User avatar
ensign85
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:00 am

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby ensign85 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:38 pm

doak35 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You'll find that the higher ranked the school, the less committed people are to the profession. For some people, law school is more about collecting fancy degrees than becoming a lawyer. And here you are turning down offers from very good schools (but not the type of school you can brag about).


Definitely a degree of truth - my cold feet from these schools is coming from increased uncertainty about what I'd want to do with the degree once I graduate.


Have you withdrawn from the other two?

doak35
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Hastings vs Loyola or Pepperdine w/ money

Postby doak35 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

ensign85 wrote:
doak35 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You'll find that the higher ranked the school, the less committed people are to the profession. For some people, law school is more about collecting fancy degrees than becoming a lawyer. And here you are turning down offers from very good schools (but not the type of school you can brag about).


Definitely a degree of truth - my cold feet from these schools is coming from increased uncertainty about what I'd want to do with the degree once I graduate.


Have you withdrawn from the other two?


Yes- only on still at pepperdine. I am still staying on waitlist at Fordham (for part time, so
I wouldn't quit my job or more, although long term
I would).

Still wrestling with whether or not to leave an easy, well paying but boring job for
uncertainty & the chance to possibly do something I like more...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests