Best path to NY/LA biglaw: Chi v. NYU v. Berk v. VA v. Penn?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best path to NY/LA biglaw?

Chicago (sticker)
10%
Virginia (90K)
25%
Penn (75K)
29%
NYU (assuming sticker)
19%
Berkeley (may or may not match scholarships)
12%
Take a year or two off
6%

Total votes: 69

Lovely Ludwig Van

Best path to NY/LA biglaw: Chi v. NYU v. Berk v. VA v. Penn?

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:01 am

At this point, I am fairly certain I do not want public interest and am aware of the fact that academia is usually reserved for clerkies, so it's pretty much biglaw/clerkship or bust for me. I have family connections in LA and NY, the two of which are also the two locations I am most interested in working in after I graduate. I am coming straight from UG with no full-time WE, and as such, am also willing to take a year or two off and reapply if it will significantly increase my chances of doing well at OCI. Location/QOL of law school is not a big deal for me, I'm sure I will manage. What I am concerned with, are my prospects at NY/LA after I graduate. All things equal, I would prefer LA over NY, but given how bad people say it is out there, I am more than willing concentrate on NY.

What do people think?

Veyron

Re: Best path to NY/LA biglaw: Chi v. NYU v. Berk v. VA v. Penn?

Postby Veyron » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:34 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:At this point, I am fairly certain I do not want public interest and am aware of the fact that academia is usually reserved for clerkies, so it's pretty much biglaw/clerkship or bust for me. I have family connections in LA and NY, the two of which are also the two locations I am most interested in working in after I graduate. I am coming straight from UG with no full-time WE, and as such, am also willing to take a year or two off and reapply if it will significantly increase my chances of doing well at OCI. Location/QOL of law school is not a big deal for me, I'm sure I will manage. What I am concerned with, are my prospects at NY/LA after I graduate. All things equal, I would prefer LA over NY, but given how bad people say it is out there, I am more than willing concentrate on NY.

What do people think?

NYU has a slight edge over Penn for NYC biglaw and a huge edge over B. B has an edge over Penn and NYU for California. Pick your poison.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:16 am

LA isn't happening without really good grades. For me, it'd be between NYU and UVA w/ $$ for NYC. Or possibly Penn, but I think COA is much higher than UVA's so that's something else to consider.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. Keep them votes coming.

So I'm taking it that Chicago's national reach would not trump the regional influence of Penn/NYU or Berkeley when it comes to West coast/East coast hiring?

Also, anyone care to elaborate on whether NYU would be worth 75K + expensive COL over Penn for NYC biglaw?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 pm

[quote="Lovely Ludwig Van"]Thanks for the replies. Keep them votes coming.

So I'm taking it that Chicago's national reach would not trump the regional influence of Penn/NYU or Berkeley when it comes to West coast/East coast hiring?

Also, anyone care to elaborate on whether NYU would be worth 75K + expensive COL over Penn for NYC biglaw?[/quote

NYC firms probably go 10% deeper into the class at NYU on average. Is that worth 75K, thats for you to decide.

Also, Penn has a better alumni network so once you get a job, it is better for your career long term.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:38 pm

You're in a tough spot. 90K at UVA is an incredible deal, but if you want LA and you aren't from California you really should go to Berkeley. Tell Boalt about the money from UVA and Penn; if they give you 45K or more go to Boalt.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:44 pm

I voted 90k at UVA because that's a lot of money for an excellent school that places very well in NYC.

If you want Cali, see if Boalt will match your UVA scholly and go there.

Congrats on your great options!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:You're in a tough spot. 90K at UVA is an incredible deal, but if you want LA and you aren't from California you really should go to Berkeley. Tell Boalt about the money from UVA and Penn; if they give you 45K or more go to Boalt.

paulinaporizkova wrote:I voted 90k at UVA because that's a lot of money for an excellent school that places very well in NYC.

Yeah, I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten the amount I got from UVA and will definitely be contacting Berkeley soon with that offer.

Btw, does anyone want to make an argument for Chicago? It seems that the prevailing attitude on TLS is that CCN is a clear step ahead of MVPB in terms of biglaw hiring, especially CC. Does this necessarily hold true on the coasts (LA and NY) as well? I'm assuming that a lot of Chicago grads self-select to the Midwest where they have less competition, hence leading to higher employment numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You're in a tough spot. 90K at UVA is an incredible deal, but if you want LA and you aren't from California you really should go to Berkeley. Tell Boalt about the money from UVA and Penn; if they give you 45K or more go to Boalt.

paulinaporizkova wrote:I voted 90k at UVA because that's a lot of money for an excellent school that places very well in NYC.

Yeah, I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten the amount I got from UVA and will definitely be contacting Berkeley soon with that offer.

Btw, does anyone want to make an argument for Chicago? It seems that the prevailing attitude on TLS is that CCN is a clear step ahead of MVPB in terms of biglaw hiring, especially CC. Does this necessarily hold true on the coasts (LA and NY) as well? I'm assuming that a lot of Chicago grads self-select to the Midwest where they have less competition, hence leading to higher employment numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're not sure where you want to work Chicago is = to NYU, but if you're pretty set on NY then it's not really a question, NYU would be a little better

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Location/QOL of law school is not a big deal for me, I'm sure I will manage.

This is refreshing. But wait until you hear back from NYU finaid. Even the smallest amount (ie 10k/year) flips it to NYU's favor.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 am

Get $ at Berk ---> have fun in LA >> other options imo, but I'm a big homer for Berk.

Really though, you should attend some ASWs and see if you can get a feel for which one "fits" you best. And congrats, you've got an awesome set of options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”