Chances at UChi ED next cycle? 3.95/168 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DrSmit249

New

Chances at UChi ED next cycle? 3.95/168

Post by DrSmit249 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 pm

168 on Feb LSAT. I'm retaking in June but I'm not sure how much more I can honestly improve. Did all PTs from 40 on strictly timed, LGB, and LRB 2X each. Nevertheless, Imma give it one more go. Advanced linear games/ combo games and RC are my weaknesses. Can consistently get -1 or -2 on all LR sections and have in and out games on lock.

Barring an improvement- I'm planning on EDing to Chi very early next cyle.

Non URM
3.95 from Berkeley/Michigan in History, Phi Beta Kappa
2 yrs Fortune 100 Public Relations work experience
Summer marketing intern at relatively well known national nonprofit
Former national community service organization board member.
Student tennis/lacrosse athele throughout college
Mock Trial
Worked 15hrs/week during college
Very strong letters of rec

Moderate/decent ties to Los Angeles and Chicago.
Very strong ties to SF/SV.

I'm willing to work anywhere including NYC, but my preffered market is LA....well, it was before I came across some of the "LA was a bloodbath this OCI" threads. I'm most concerned with doing everything I can to not strike out of BigLaw at OCI.

I'm not sure if ED to Chi is the right play. Should I be more conservative and use ED at MVP instead to hedge my bets against striking out of the T10?

Long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks in advance for your help, TLS!

DrSmit249

New

Re: Chances at UChi ED next cycle? 3.95/168

Post by DrSmit249 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Whoops. I just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:54 pm

DrSmit249 wrote:my preffered market is LA....I'm not sure if ED to Chi is the right play.
I don't get it, sorry. I mean, why ED at Chicago assuming you can bump up your LSAT score into the 170s. You're not considering Boalt or Stanford? Why?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 pm

i dunno. i don't think your chances are great. probably a 169-170 on the LSAT with an ED is more reasonable. if you wanted a reach ED (for your numbers) i'd go with Penn personally

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 pm

aspire2more wrote:
DrSmit249 wrote:my preffered market is LA....I'm not sure if ED to Chi is the right play.
I don't get it, sorry. I mean, why ED at Chicago assuming you can bump up your LSAT score into the 170s. You're not considering Boalt or Stanford? Why?
+1 on that. also, learn how to spell, bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:58 pm

You have a decent chance. A couple 168/high GPAs made it into Chi this cycle (I'm not among them, sadly).
paulinaporizkova wrote:
aspire2more wrote:
+1 on that. also, learn how to spell, bro
:roll:

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:59 pm

With those stats you should get significant money from UCLA. Do that plz.

DrSmit249

New

Post by DrSmit249 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm going off the assumption I can't bump it to the 170s. Avg PT first time around was 169 and I really did give it my all. I guess I'm just not as smart as a lot of the >170 with ease TLSers. Stanford with my numbers I thought was almost auto-ding. I like Boalt, but would take Chi in a heartbeat over it just because of the difference in placement. Also- I've heard that non-URM 168ers didn't fare that well at Boalt this cycle. I just really don't want to strike out of the T10 and end up having quit my decent job, that I enjoy, for DCNG--if I can avoid it.

DrSmit249

New

Post by DrSmit249 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 pm

sry on the spelling- posting from my GF's iphone. Where's the TLS app btw?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 pm

BR, did you ED to Chi?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 pm

DrSmit249 wrote:sry on the spelling- posting from my GF's iphone. Where's the TLS app btw?
apparently in development

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:BR, did you ED to Chi?
haha no, but I'm really starting to wish that I had.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:BR, did you ED to Chi?
haha no, but I'm really starting to wish that I had.
yeh, i get those "wish i woulda ED'd somewhere" pangs every now and again. i think they're pretty common when you are on TLS a lot since there is so much ED chatter. on the bright side, i think you would have had to have some bangin' softs with your #s to get Chicago, considering their class is so tiny and all

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 am

DrSmit249 wrote:I'm going off the assumption I can't bump it to the 170s. Avg PT first time around was 169 and I really did give it my all. I guess I'm just not as smart as a lot of the >170 with ease TLSers. Stanford with my numbers I thought was almost auto-ding. I like Boalt, but would take Chi in a heartbeat over it just because of the difference in placement. Also- I've heard that non-URM 168ers didn't fare that well at Boalt this cycle. I just really don't want to strike out of the T10 and end up having quit my decent job, that I enjoy, for DCNG--if I can avoid it.
Still doesn't compute for me. If you can't realistically boost your score, why are you retaking the LSAT? Unless you enjoy exercises in frustration, you must think there is a chance you can do better. Your attitude/tone sounds like you're almost planning to fail. Those who work off the assumption that they can achieve things have a better chance at success than those who don't. If you come back in June and get a 170+, would you still ask this same question? If you're just trying to be a realist for the sake of not getting your hopes dashed, abandon that strategy and try something different to prepare for the June exam. If you don't improve, then you can still ED to Chicago if you really think you want to be there. However, as someone that has already identified their weak areas and has months to work on them and improve, I think you should be more positive about your chances.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:06 am

if you are under the impression that many people score 170+s with ease on TLS, you are mistaken. some do, but most just study their asses off for a long ass time.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:29 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:if you are under the impression that many people score 170+s with ease on TLS, you are mistaken. some do, but most just study their asses off for a long ass time.
I'm not talking about "many people," just this one test taker who was probably about 2-3 questions from a 170 already. I'm assuming OP wasn't PTing in the 150s in January and pulled out a miracle, because it would be foolish to retake. Studying from now until June gives him or her a realistic shot at improvement and OP seems like a person who is willing to "study his/her ass off" to get there.

DrSmit249

New

Post by DrSmit249 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 am

aspire2more wrote:
DrSmit249 wrote:I'm going off the assumption I can't bump it to the 170s. Avg PT first time around was 169 and I really did give it my all. I guess I'm just not as smart as a lot of the >170 with ease TLSers. Stanford with my numbers I thought was almost auto-ding. I like Boalt, but would take Chi in a heartbeat over it just because of the difference in placement. Also- I've heard that non-URM 168ers didn't fare that well at Boalt this cycle. I just really don't want to strike out of the T10 and end up having quit my decent job, that I enjoy, for DCNG--if I can avoid it.
Still doesn't compute for me. If you can't realistically boost your score, why are you retaking the LSAT? Unless you enjoy exercises in frustration, you must think there is a chance you can do better. Your attitude/tone sounds like you're almost planning to fail. Those who work off the assumption that they can achieve things have a better chance at success than those who don't. If you come back in June and get a 170+, would you still ask this same question? If you're just trying to be a realist for the sake of not getting your hopes dashed, abandon that strategy and try something different to prepare for the June exam. If you don't improve, then you can still ED to Chicago if you really think you want to be there. However, as someone that has already identified their weak areas and has months to work on them and improve, I think you should be more positive about your chances.
You're right, man. I like the tone/tough love. I guess it's just that going through it the first time was such a stressful ordeal, and I feel like I'm going to run into significant diminishing returns between now and June. Like putting in 150 hrs of additional focused prep (which I'm willing and able to do) for maybe a 2pt higher score, maybe a lower score, maybe another 168. But from reading here I know 2pts is huge and worth the time/effort.

/whining.

I'll grind as hard as I possibly can for the next 2.5-3months: do every released game from 2005 to present 3X each and retake the most recent ~20-30 timed full length PTs and then report back in late June/early July with an update.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrSmit249

New

Post by DrSmit249 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:if you are under the impression that many people score 170+s with ease on TLS, you are mistaken. some do, but most just study their asses off for a long ass time.
Prolly the case. You just don't hear about those guys who grind out the hours as much as the I can hanz a 170 with no prep bc I am so smart ppl.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:20 am

If games are your weakness, then retake and don't ED. If I had your GPA, I would have shot for HYS and nothing lower. I never retook the LSAT despite (oddly) missing 3 problems on an easy game on the actual LSAT, and I still somewhat regret it because I would have gotten more $$, at the very least. 2-3 points on the LSAT can make a big difference.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”