OSU, BU, ND, Case

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jslom958

OSU, BU, ND, Case

Postby jslom958 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:52 pm

I need some input. I'm aiming for biglaw in a medium/smaller market. If it matters, I will not have any debt upon entering law school.

Here is a rough estimate of attending, only accounting for tuition:

OSU: $44,000
BU: $120,000
ND: $123,000
Case: $30,000

Obviously, BU would be substantially more expensive when considering cost of living. I was also waitlisted at BC and will be riding that out.

Is it worth the debt to go to the bigger name school (i.e. ND or BU) if I'm not looking to practice in a large city? Thank you.

dakatz

Re: OSU, BU, ND, Case

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:53 pm

You looking to stay in Ohio? If so, might be smart to just go to one of the OH schools. Not sure what medium/small cities you are talking about so its hard to give a good recommendation.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:57 pm

hey just FYI the school BU does best in (Boston) probably does not fit your definition of medium/small....

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Less than half of BU kids even stay in New England, let alone Boston. However, the places they leave for are other large cities typically. That isn't to say that there aren't a real solid number of BU grads in places like Hartford, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Newark, etc. All of these medium to small cities are certainly within reach for a BU grad. But I'd imagine that the trajectory of most people will take them to Boston, NYC, some go to DC, and a fair number go to CA.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:09 pm

jslom958 wrote:I need some input. I'm aiming for biglaw in a medium/smaller market. If it matters, I will not have any debt upon entering law school.

Here is a rough estimate of attending, only accounting for tuition:

OSU: $44,000
BU: $120,000
ND: $123,000
Case: $30,000

Obviously, BU would be substantially more expensive when considering cost of living. I was also waitlisted at BC and will be riding that out.

Is it worth the debt to go to the bigger name school (i.e. ND or BU) if I'm not looking to practice in a large city? Thank you.

I would strike BU right from the start. That number looks like you're paying sticker, and COL in Boston is going to be super painful, but you know that. I'd also strike Case as well. I know some recent Case grads and ITE has really hurt their placement. It doesn't help that Squire Sanders is on shaky ground right now, which could screw up all the legal hiring in Ohio if they fold.

So, it's between OSU and ND. OSU is a lot cheaper, but the jobs picture isn't especially rosy here. ND is going to give you a lot more portability with all the middle-sized markets in the Midwest, plus a better shot at Chicago if you should happen to have a change of heart.

I took money at OSU over sticker at higher ranked out-of-state schools, but I only want to practice in Ohio. I've been thinking lately, though, that I may have been slightly better off going with a more portable school with a good network in Ohio to give myself more options.

Postby 174 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:23 pm

jslom958 wrote:I'm aiming for biglaw

Retake.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Go Buckeyes

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm

OSU.

Columbus has more mobility in the state than Case. Also, the difference in quality of life alone for three years is well worth the extra $14,000. Columbus is a great city, Cleveland is one step above Chechnya. Money spent to not live in Cleveland is money well spent.

jslom958

Postby jslom958 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 pm

I'd be paying sticker at BU and ND. I'd like to work in the Great Lakes/NE region after graduation, maybe Ohio. I've yet to visit OSU, but that's forthcoming.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:OSU.

Columbus has more mobility in the state than Case. Also, the difference in quality of life alone for three years is well worth the extra $14,000. Columbus is a great city, Cleveland is one step above Chechnya. Money spent to not live in Cleveland is money well spent.

+1. I'm a native Clevelander and OSU alum, and I live in Cleveland now. Columbus is the only place in Ohio I would consider living. This place is depressing.

For the record, ND is struggling mightily ITE in terms of BigLaw placement.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:57 pm

If you want to work in the upper midwest, ND is the best option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”