Thread for people wanting to do international human rights Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
appli2017

New

Re: Thread for people wanting to do international human rights

Post by appli2017 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:42 am

I'm aware this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone on here knows of Fordham's reputation in this field? On paper, it seems like they have really great human rights programs and international opportunities but I am not too sure about their reputation.

bigolpancake

New

Post by bigolpancake » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for some advice, particularly from those with great experience in this field like worldtraveler. I'm a 3L currently in my last semester at a T2 law school, and I'm still trying to decide what to do after law school in pursuit of a career in international human rights law. While my grades aren't great (I'm right at the median and can't change that now), I have some relevant credentials:

I've interned with human rights NGOs in 3 different countries/continents doing legal work, I've volunteered with a human rights NGO domestically since my 1L, I traveled to Guantanamo Bay as an NGO observer, I've worked in my school's human rights clinic, I won my school's moot court competition, I'm currently working on a shadow report as a principle author, and I'm in talks with a Professor who wants to help get me published in an international law review journal.

My grades aren't up to snuff partly because I've been engaged in a lot of volunteer work, but mostly because I think law school classwork is exceptionally draining and altogether dreadful (who doesn't, I know). Do I have any hope of ever landing a "prestige" job--like those at the UN, bigtime NGOs, The Hague, etc.--or did that ship pretty much sail with my law school rank and grades? Also, what are my best options for continuing on a path of international human rights law? So far the only thing I can think of is landing a job with an NGO that has some international reach--perhaps some located in Washington, D.C.--but what other viable options are there for me?

I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get some advice and to continue building this as an excellent resource for those interested in this field.

Thanks!

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 pm

bigolpancake wrote:Hey guys,

I'm just looking for some advice, particularly from those with great experience in this field like worldtraveler. I'm a 3L currently in my last semester at a T2 law school, and I'm still trying to decide what to do after law school in pursuit of a career in international human rights law. While my grades aren't great (I'm right at the median and can't change that now), I have some relevant credentials:

I've interned with human rights NGOs in 3 different countries/continents doing legal work, I've volunteered with a human rights NGO domestically since my 1L, I traveled to Guantanamo Bay as an NGO observer, I've worked in my school's human rights clinic, I won my school's moot court competition, I'm currently working on a shadow report as a principle author, and I'm in talks with a Professor who wants to help get me published in an international law review journal.

My grades aren't up to snuff partly because I've been engaged in a lot of volunteer work, but mostly because I think law school classwork is exceptionally draining and altogether dreadful (who doesn't, I know). Do I have any hope of ever landing a "prestige" job--like those at the UN, bigtime NGOs, The Hague, etc.--or did that ship pretty much sail with my law school rank and grades? Also, what are my best options for continuing on a path of international human rights law? So far the only thing I can think of is landing a job with an NGO that has some international reach--perhaps some located in Washington, D.C.--but what other viable options are there for me?

I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get some advice and to continue building this as an excellent resource for those interested in this field.

Thanks!
Also interested! This thread is a goldmine of information.

I'm also from a T2, and have middling grades. I am fluent in three languages and have experience interning at an NGO abroad. I've done extensive work in immigration and refugee law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”