Wait a year vs. Idaho

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ineptimusprime

Wait a year vs. Idaho

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm really trying to decide whether or not to attend the University of Idaho (for in-state price) or whether to wait a year, work, and retake the LSAT (for those curious, my stats are in my profile, and I have an LSN page under the same moniker).

My situation is a little more complicated than most. My wife wants to either start a dental assisting program or beauty school next fall too. The Moscow-Pullman area appears to only have a beauty school, so that limits her choice.

Also, with her being in school too, we'll be doubling up on our debt next year with neither of us being able to work much. End result= going to Idaho next year will cost me more than paying the full out of state cost when my wife's schooling cost is taken into account. (I'm assuming about 10k total for her schooling).

The real cost to me, is in opportunity cost. We'd both be missing out on wages while accruing debt to cover both of our tuition and living costs during that year. I think it may be smarter for me to wait a year, retake the LSAT, work to put her through her program, volunteer, etc. and let her finish whatever it is she decides to go into (they're both only one year programs).

Worst case scenario is that I'd end up at Idaho in a year in a situation where much less debt will be taken on, and my wife will be able to work while I'm in school. Best case, I knock the LSAT out of the park and go somewhere higher ranked (I PTed as high as 159, and averaged about a 156 on 3.5 weeks of study, I was still REALLY struggling with LG games on test day, and I also didn't finish the RC section during the test..ended up with a 154, though I did really well on the LR and RC (the ones I finished at least)

I'm only 22, so I've got options.

My question is, is it at all financially justifiable to take on that much debt for Idaho this year? I'll be visiting the campus next week.. should I bring this up? Would any amount of merit or need-based aid justify it?

I'm thinking no, but wondering if I'm missing something that should be factored into the equation..

deadpanic

Re: Wait a year vs. Idaho

Postby deadpanic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:52 pm

If you really think you can get 160+, i see no reason not to wait a year and retake.

If you really want to live and work in Idaho, i don't think it is a bad option, but i would retake if i were you. if anything, you could still attend there next year.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 pm

hmm... I was hoping for more feedback.

Neve

Postby Neve » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Is Idaho the only school you were accepted to? If so, I would consider your job prospects and the amount of debt you may take on for attending law school in Idaho.

Law school admissions committees won't like that you seem to be "shopping" for law schools by applying for law school for more than one cycle. However, that said, I think it may be worth your time to wait a year to attend law school and retake to get a higher score (if you are confidant that you can score significantly high). Also, if you do decide to apply next cycle, apply to a wide range of law schools (7-9) to see what scholarship offers you receive.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 pm

No, I was accepted at Creighton (with 4K), Oklahoma City (with 24k), Whittier (with 16k), and Tulsa (sticker). I have withdrawn at all of the above minus Creighton and Idaho.

I was WL at Nebraska, Willamette, and Gonzaga. I withdrew from Willamette, but I'm still on the other two waitlists.

I really wanted to attend both Gonzaga and Nebraska, but it's looking neither will pan out, and if they do, they'll be a lot more expensive than in-state at Idaho. I'm still waiting on Pacific, Utah, and Oregon, but realize my chances are very slim.

How are you sure adcomms would penalize me for waiting a year? This is a basic economic exchange. Why would they penalize me for doing exactly what they're doing (shopping around)? That seems too petty to be true. Wouldn't they go for the best candidates (numbers wise) independent of prior cycles?

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:My question is, is it at all financially justifiable to take on that much debt for Idaho this year? ... should Would any amount of merit or need-based aid justify it?

I'm thinking no

You would be correct.

You have a good GPA. With a better LSAT score, you could get money at much better schools with far better options. Plus, you're only 22. You have time to get it right.

I'm assuming the programs your SO is interested in are 1-2 year programs. My advice would be to put off law school until she is done with them. If you have a marketable UG degree, go work for a while and get some real world experience (and money, of course). While you're doing that, take the long PowerScore class to improve your LSAT score, or if nothing else, self-study until your score is up in the mid 160's at least.

With your GPA and a better LSAT, you could get money at a school that will give you residency after the first year. For instance, UGA offered me tuition equalization my first year, after which I would have paid in-state tuition (which at UGA is really low).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Attend Idaho if you want to live & work in Idaho. The acquaintences & connections made should prove valuable for one intending on practicing in-state. As a sidenote, your wife might want to consider becoming a dental assistant (versus beauty school) as earnings are often quite high.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 pm

BYU>Utah>Idaho for Idaho.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”