University of Akron vs Stetson vs Job I hate and retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which chould I choose

University of Akron (Between 0 and 20K for all 3 years)
7%
Stetson (74K for all 3 years)
29%
Job I currently hate and retake
64%

Total votes: 14

CP2323

University of Akron vs Stetson vs Job I hate and retake

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:39 am

I have a really low uGPA (2.33)

I have great softs and the possiblity of scoring a 170+ on the LSAT.

CP2323

Re: University of Akron vs Stetson vs Job I hate and retake

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

Forgot to add that the 0-20K at Akron is not due to their scholarship. I have GI bill money that will cover 100% of the tuition plus some living expenses. Plus I have disability from the VA due to injuries I sustained while on active duty.

So there harsh grading curve has not bearing on my law school cost.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

If you are set on going this year (which it doesn't seem like), decide whether you want to spend your career in Tampa. If the answer is yes, then Stetson seems like a pretty good choice as your tuition is covered. If you honestly believe you can score a 170+, though, you gotta retake. Assuming you actually wish to practice law and not just get the degree (sounds snarky, but I'm serious), you give yourself a far greater chance of doing so by attending a much better school via that 170+. Given how major a splitter you are, I'm not sure an ED to Northwestern is possible should you get that score, but it will open up a world of possibilities for you and perhaps more importantly, location mobility.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

I didn't prep for the LSAT at all. I have since taken 4 practice tests and scored between 168 and 171 on them. I just purchased the powerscore bibles and am reading through those.

The reason for my problem is that my current job is Temporary. I know I would be able to pay for my family expenses if I attend Law School since I will get money from the GI bill for living expenses.

I have a lot of work experience. I have a graduate degree in education ( Master's of Arts in social studies education) with two years of teaching experience. Before that I was in the US Navy for 7 years. Prior to the Navy I was in retail sales & department management for 5 years.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am

That 2.3 is super low the 170 might off set but not by too much. What did you get 1st time?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 am

Why is there not a fourth option of "get a job I don't hate"

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

Retake.

Score 170+.

Pray that NU accepts you.

If not, enjoy WUSTL.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:35 am

buckilaw wrote:Retake.

Score 170+.

Pray that NU accepts you.

If not, enjoy WUSTL.

Pretty accurate. If you can kill the LSAT, you got a decent shot at NU with your strong WE/softs. I know you want to start your education and have the living assistance, but getting a better LSAT starts a domino effect that will lead you down a far more fulfilling (and lucrative) legal path.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 am

TommyK wrote:Why is there not a fourth option of "get a job I don't hate"

I scored a 157 with out even knowing what was on the LSAT. I just new it was mainly a verbal test and not math. I was in Graduate school at the time and took it really on a whim (I know horrible decision). I also had roughly 2-3 hours of sleep before the test (at the time I was playing online video games and had a scheduled game event that night :oops: )

Overall I would say that my current PTs are probably better representative of the score I will get in June. I am also studying now by going through the bibles to make sure I get more efficient at the test.

I normally never have a problem with time limits (as I am a ridiculously fast reader) but I ran out of time with 2 sections of questions left.

Honestly and it is pretty pathetic but I was falling asleep while I took the test. :cry:

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Not pathetic, but definitely retake. Agreed - WUSTL and NU are both splitter-friendly, but getting in to either is not a foregone conclusion with a 2.33 ugpa. Another consideration would be IUB - it's not of WUSTL or NU's caliber, but may offer considerable scholarship money for a LSAT range in that score.

But seriously - if you hate your job, get a new one. It doesn't have to be JobYouHate v Tier3School. This will give you a better opportunity to identify if you're going to law school to escape a crappy job or if you're going to law school for a good reason.

Also, thank you for your service.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 pm

TommyK wrote:Not pathetic, but definitely retake. Agreed - WUSTL and NU are both splitter-friendly, but getting in to either is not a foregone conclusion with a 2.33 ugpa. Another consideration would be IUB - it's not of WUSTL or NU's caliber, but may offer considerable scholarship money for a LSAT range in that score.

But seriously - if you hate your job, get a new one. It doesn't have to be JobYouHate v Tier3School. This will give you a better opportunity to identify if you're going to law school to escape a crappy job or if you're going to law school for a good reason.

Also, thank you for your service.

Thank you.

It isn't a crappy job that is driving me to law school. I want to go to law school whether I had a better job placement or not. I have wanted to attend law school but I thought that my low uGPA would automatically stop me from attending, so I decided to go to Graduate school for education.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”