Which to pick? Need serious help.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
risktaker

Which to pick? Need serious help.

Postby risktaker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:39 pm

So I have gotten into University of the Pacific, Seattle University, and University of Miami so far. Waiting to hear from Santa Clara and University of San Diego. Held at Chi-Kent and waitlisted at USF. Pretty sure I am going to get dinged at USD and most likely get a ding or waitlist from Santa Clara. So let's assume that I get into Chi-Kent, which school should I pick? I would like to stay close to family and friends who are in CA, but career means everything to me right now and I am willing to re-locate.

UOP: $10k per year with first year books covered (no stipulations)
Seattle U: $6k per year (top third after first year)
U of Miami: Big fat zero
Chi-Kent: If I get in, likely no money.

Thanks in advance. I really need all the help I can get.

risktaker

Re: Which to pick? Need serious help.

Postby risktaker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Come on, I know someone can offer some advice

am0rfati

Postby am0rfati » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Just a warning...You're going to get several people saying "retake". I hate this site sometimes.

Have you visited any of these schools?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the exact tuition costs at UoP and Seattle. If your savings amounts to less than 10k annually, might as well suck it up and go to Miami. Its stronger in its region than your other options, and the quality of life is hard to beat.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Seattle is the cheapest private school. I am going to call U of Miami and see if they offer schollys if you do well your first year. Seattle apparently saves 2/3rds of its financial aid for continuing students, so I could see more money if I do well. I know that there are a million law schools in california. If I decide to move, would it be wiser to go to Seattle U or U of Miami? I hear that Miami's legal market is awful from this site though, so I am not sure if that's going to be changing. All thoughts are appreciated. For any of you who say re-take, I have taken the god awful LSAT 4 times and got the same exact score.

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:59 pm

risktaker wrote:Seattle is the cheapest private school. I am going to call U of Miami and see if they offer schollys if you do well your first year. Seattle apparently saves 2/3rds of its financial aid for continuing students, so I could see more money if I do well. I know that there are a million law schools in california. If I decide to move, would it be wiser to go to Seattle U or U of Miami? I hear that Miami's legal market is awful from this site though, so I am not sure if that's going to be changing. All thoughts are appreciated. For any of you who say re-take, I have taken the god awful LSAT 4 times and got the same exact score.

same exact score 4 times? ahh!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I've heard Seattle's market is tiny and awful too. Also, you would have to compete with U. Wash, which vastly outshines Seattle. With added pressure from Oregon, and Lewis and Clark.

Let's cross UoP off the list for now, N. Cal is going to be abhorrent with its competition.

Miami is tops in S. Florida, or at least a close second to UF.

With that being said, if UoS is significantly cheaper and closer to family, I say go there.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks for the replies. Any other thoughts? I do not mind moving to Miami but trying to figure out if it would be wise to be $170k in debt.

thedive

Postby thedive » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 am

I would be very VERY cautious about 170k debt for Miami.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 am

I'd retake. None of those schools are worth it. But if you must go to law school for some reason, go to to whatever's cheapest + prayer.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Anyone else care to pitch in on this? I am really worried about going to CA law schools because there are just so many of them especially in Northern California where I got in.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm

risktaker wrote:Anyone else care to pitch in on this? I am really worried about going to CA law schools because there are just so many of them especially in Northern California where I got in.

Well I can reiterate my notion that you should cross UoP off the list, based on your correct assumption. That leaves Miami and Seattle w/ 6k. Seattle is cheaper, and closer to home. I think you should go to Seattle unless you're looking for a complete change of scene, and the cost of attendance doesn't work out to be much more than 6k at Miami.

Personal Note: I hate Seattle as a city, so it takes a lot for me to recommend it over what I consider paradise. :evil:

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:00 pm

One of my buddies is at Seattle U and loving it. Great legal writing program if you don't already know that. Given your obvious tie to the west-coast (I'm a niners fan too), I'd vote Seattle. Great city and you really can't beat the PNW for quality of life. Plus it's close to your family. That's my vote.

ClosetStateSchooler

Postby ClosetStateSchooler » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I would say first and foremost visit the schools. Then do serious research on employment prospects, the debt situation, etc. Then follow your heart.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

The reason I was considering U of Miami is because of the slight chance for big law. Going to Seattle U is going to put me out of contention for big law, correct?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm

risktaker wrote:The reason I was considering U of Miami is because of the slight chance for big law. Going to Seattle U is going to put me out of contention for big law, correct?

U have to be in the top 3rd of your class after the first year? Make them drop that stipuilation. You'll be really upset if you end up paying sticker to go to seattle.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:08 pm

The differences between these schools is exceedingly marginal other than that they place in different areas.

The correct answer, since you want to be in CA, is to pick the CA school that will cost you the least and that does not have stringent scholarship stipulations.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:09 pm

risktaker wrote:The reason I was considering U of Miami is because of the slight chance for big law. Going to Seattle U is going to put me out of contention for big law, correct?

I don't think you would do significantly worse at Seattle. There is not a whole lot of Biglaw in Miami, nor is there much in Seattle. Both schools have to compete with a comparable or better school in their region. UF v. Miami in S. Florida, and U. Wash v. Seattle in Seattle. Now, I would prefer the former match up, but I don't think its an advantage that warrants moving 3,000+ miles.

With that being said, I looked up the cost of tuition at Seattle, and its almost exactly the same as Miami. Your savings would amount to 6k annually, though I'm not sure if one city is significantly more affordable than the other, which would also influence the bottom line.

If you prefer the Pacific Northwest, I think Seattle is the way to go.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Sorry, it's a top half of class stipulation for renewal after the 6k guaranteed 1st year for Seattle U.

Postby 174 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

If you want biglaw, don't go to any of these schools.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I really need to visit these damn schools. I am going to call Seattle U and U of Miami to see if they can cover any costs for a visit. As of now, UOP has no stipulations on my 10k per year scholly. Just worried at the prospect of staying in Sacramento the rest of my life.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 pm

174 wrote:

If you want biglaw, don't go to any of these schools.

Unfortunately, I have no other options. Retake is not possible as I have taken this test several times and got the same exact score. Don't think that is going to change.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:17 pm

risktaker wrote:I really need to visit these damn schools. I am going to call Seattle U and U of Miami to see if they can cover any costs for a visit. As of now, UOP has no stipulations on my 10k per year scholly. Just worried at the prospect of staying in Sacramento the rest of my life.

Don't visit Miami. I'm not, I think it would actually hurt my chances of making a reasonable choice. I would probably leave offering to pay 60k in tuition, and feeling like I got a good deal.

richpepsi

Postby richpepsi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm

U of Pacific does have scholly stipulations, I have an 18k a year there, with requirement to stay in top 1/3 of class

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:28 pm

risktaker wrote:Unfortunately, I have no other options. Retake is not possible as I have taken this test several times and got the same exact score. Don't think that is going to change.

Assume you aren't going to get biglaw out of any of these because it is exceedingly unlikely. The chances of biglaw out of all of these places is so slim that the differences between them aren't worth considering. What matters is location. You seem to prefer CA so pick the CA school. I'd say you should go to a worse school than McGeorge (like Chapman or Southwestern) with a larger scholly. Or, conversely I would go to these schools and be prepared to drop out after 1 year if you don't have exceedingly good grades.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”