Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan vs. Davis vs. Hastings

Michigan ($$)
30
100%
Davis ($$)
0
No votes
Hastings
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:emotional decisions are what get 152's on LSATS


THIS! Lol. Michigan, hands down. If it's meant to be, you'll survive the LDR and come out 10x stronger. Aaaand, why the dual degree?

User avatar
twelda
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby twelda » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Well shit, I went and ate a sandwich and missed this brawl.
The dual degree is possibly because I'm an idiot, but at least in theory it's because I am interested in government, non-profit, or academic career paths (I know, I know...) So career goals are not biglaw. I don't know how much this impact this has on the comparison between Michigan and Davis.
My SO has considered, and will consider, relocating but he has a really sweet gig in the Bay Area and is uncertain that he could get anything comparable, or anything at all, in Ann Arbor. Also he will be going to grad school in 2012 or (more likely) 2013 so I guess that throws a whole different wrench in the location thing.
SO: for public interest...what do you think? I also am not necessarily going to be wanting to work in CA...but it's pretty likely that I would for several reasons.
(OP is female, btw).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:03 pm

What is the amount of debt you would have from Davis? What is the amount of debt you'd have from Michigan? Where is your SO considering going to grad school?

You do realize that government jobs in CA are basically unicorns due to the economy and hiring freezes? Academia would be much easier out of Michigan but I would hazard that it would still be tough. I'd also say that a dual degree is probably not worth the money but I don't much knowledge on it so hopefully someone else would speak up.

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby weejonbu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 pm

This thread - Poll = Useless.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

I know a few people who are doing 4-year programs, but for the life of me I have never heard a compelling case made for the extra year/extra degree/extra tuition. JD candidates with a PI focus seem to place into that field pretty damn well if that's what they're after.

User avatar
twelda
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby twelda » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm

How do I add a poll?
I'm not married to the dual degree idea and I definitely have a lot more research to do before I make that decision...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:15 pm

twelda wrote:How do I add a poll?
I'm not married to the dual degree idea and I definitely have a lot more research to do before I make that decision...


Edit the OP. It's titled "Poll Creation" below the Preview/Submit buttons.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby cornellbeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

JakeL wrote:Michigan or you're nuts IMO.


This.

Aggie - if you had gotten into a T-14 school, you would have gone. Don't lie.

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby Zabini » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Agree with the general consensus of the thread: Go to Michigan. I've always heard anecdotally that outside of HY, Michigan is one of the best eastern schools to go to if you want California; your backup options for if you don't get the job you're looking for or if you finish at/below median will be much much much much better at Michigan than Davis; plus you're not even paying sticker at Michigan?

If your SO is looking at going to grad school himself in the next year or 2, Michigan has top-notch programs in everything, so assuming he can get in he should be happy studying there with you. If in a year or whatever he isn't in at Michigan and would have to move away for grad school, then you can have a serious conversation but at least then you'll only be looking at 1 or 2 years of long distance as opposed to 3 or 4.

Sidenote: Why'd you take yourself off the UCLA waitlist?

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Gee, golly, there aren't 48 other states b/n Mich and Cal? Wowsers.


No shit Sherlock.

Can you really defend your argumentation when it results in the conclusion that a CA resident should attend a TTT California school rather than Harvard to land a job in CA?


Don't strawman this.



Someone really needs to learn his/her logical fallacies. This is definitely not a strawman. It is a reductio ad absurdum (reduction to absurdity...not a fallacy). It successfully takes Aggie's premises to reach a ridiculous, obviously false conclusion. In other words, Aggie's argument is useless. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure everyone besides Aggie realizes this.

-----

OP, Michigan for sure!

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:32 pm

twelda wrote:Well shit, I went and ate a sandwich and missed this brawl.
The dual degree is possibly because I'm an idiot, but at least in theory it's because I am interested in government, non-profit, or academic career paths (I know, I know...) So career goals are not biglaw. I don't know how much this impact this has on the comparison between Michigan and Davis.
My SO has considered, and will consider, relocating but he has a really sweet gig in the Bay Area and is uncertain that he could get anything comparable, or anything at all, in Ann Arbor. Also he will be going to grad school in 2012 or (more likely) 2013 so I guess that throws a whole different wrench in the location thing.
SO: for public interest...what do you think? I also am not necessarily going to be wanting to work in CA...but it's pretty likely that I would for several reasons.
(OP is female, btw).


No impact. Michigan, hands down still. It will open doors. Here's the real poll: Master's or not? I say, fIgure out what you want to do exactly during 1L. Find an internship during one of your summers in that field. Add some courses to your curriculum to complement it (even if it's outside the law school, it may still count towards your JD). Doing this develops hands on experience and knowledge and saves you a valuable $30-$40K (plus a year of earned wages for leaving school in time instead of 4 years) on a degree your employers most likely won't care about.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Davis ($$, instate), vs. Hastings (sticker

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm an 0L so take this with a grain of salt (as you should do with all TLS comments (:)

I think that you should seriously consider going to Michigan. From what I've heard, most prestigious PI jobs (which I'm assuming you're shooting for--no one AIMS to go to a shitty PI job XD) are actually just as prestige-whore-ish & definitely just as competitive as biglaw can be. Michigan not only is ranked SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than Davis, it will provide you with mobility in case you end up graduating law school and find the *job of your dreams* and it happens to be outside of California.

I do think it's worth considering AggieGrad's data, but I also think that you should view it under the lens of self-selection. Think of it this way: the likelihood of someone attending UCD because it is in CA and they want a job in CA is much higher than the likelihood of someone attending Mich for its link to CA. A lot of students going to Mich will be aiming for other big cities across the US--NYC, Chicago, etc etc. Thus, naturally, fewer students going to Mich (or any T14) will be aiming exclusively for CA. This will lead to a lower % of OVERALL Mich students going to CA. Yes, the % out of 'total students' might be higher at UCD, but chances are the % out of 'students interested primarily in CA' will be lower.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erinkh and 2 guests