Fordham ($) or American ($ for 1L year) or retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham, American, or Retake

Fordham
70%
American
5%
Retake
25%

Total votes: 20

lawbie

Fordham ($) or American ($ for 1L year) or retake

Postby lawbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm

really confused. I love NYC, I love DC. SA is in DC for at least 3 years. HELP!

kwais

Re: Fordham ($) or American ($ for 1L year) or retake

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 pm

What would you do after 1 year at American?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm

$$$ should be a major concern here. I wouldn't touch either at sticker, expecially considering the COL. I don't think I would touch American period though.

lawbie

Postby lawbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

no idea what i would do after 1 year at American- pray for more $ or try to transfer??
fordham gave me 15k over 3 years...

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

lawbie wrote:no idea what i would do after 1 year at American- pray for more $ or try to transfer??
fordham gave me 15k over 3 years...

Both of these options are very risky. What are your numbers?

lawbie

Postby lawbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm

166 and 3.7 from top 30 university

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 pm

lawbie wrote:166 and 3.7 from top 30 university

Ok, definitely don't settle for American. Fordham isn't a horrible option, but its very expensive. I personally wouldn't take the dive with only 15k. That basically just covers the increased cost of living in NYC.

Are you willing to retake/take a year off? Even a few points and you could be in at Cornell or in at Fordham with significantly more money. Even BU/BC/GW are options that might give you $$. You're basically a lock for T14 if you can hit 170.

lawbie

Postby lawbie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 am

yes, willing to take at least 3 months before the october test off. it would be my 3rd try though. know i can get/break 170- had extreme anxiety the first test (probably should have cancelled) and the second test I was too focused on staying calm versus actually practicing. but when i was 'on' i was breaking 170 no sweat.

on, maybe i could be a little 0L/1L gunner and set my sights on trying to transfer up? too risky?

do you think even with my scores now if i reapply for next years cycle i would fair better? maybe the economy will miraculously improve and 2398743729 people won't be seeking refuge in law school?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 am

lawbie wrote:yes, willing to take at least 3 months before the october test off. it would be my 3rd try though. know i can get/break 170- had extreme anxiety the first test (probably should have cancelled) and the second test I was too focused on staying calm versus actually practicing. but when i was 'on' i was breaking 170 no sweat.

on, maybe i could be a little 0L/1L gunner and set my sights on trying to transfer up? too risky?

do you think even with my scores now if i reapply for next years cycle i would fair better? maybe the economy will miraculously improve and 2398743729 people won't be seeking refuge in law school?

yeah, seems like a poor cycle for your numbers. I would definitely retake if you think you can improve. every single point counts significantly at this point. I would just go into the test knowing I already have a 166 under my belt and just focus on the questions. I just don't see fordham with 15k as the best option for someone who could potentially have a 3.7/170 and is willing to take the time off. and yes, I think you would fair better even with the same exact stats if you applied again next year. just apply as early as possible and update your PS and resumes. put together a good app.

don't pull the transfer idea. not with your current numbers and potential. much easier to improve on the lsat than it is to transfer into the t10.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:29 am

How are you going to do well on LS exams if you can't handle the LSAT? Don't count on transfering ^.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 am

Veyron wrote:How are you going to do well on LS exams if you can't handle the LSAT? Don't count on transfering ^.

you act like he bombed. he still got a 166.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 am

FuManChusco wrote:
Veyron wrote:How are you going to do well on LS exams if you can't handle the LSAT? Don't count on transfering ^.

I think he was referring to his anxiety, not his score.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 am

lawbie wrote:yes, willing to take at least 3 months before the october test off. it would be my 3rd try though. know i can get/break 170- had extreme anxiety the first test (probably should have cancelled) and the second test I was too focused on staying calm versus actually practicing. but when i was 'on' i was breaking 170 no sweat.

Planning to transfer sucks.. Just sayin' from personal experience.. If you aren't entirely satisfied with your options I think TCR is to retake. At least that way you will know you did all you could and hopefully can relax about the school you end up at.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 am

RockyIII wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

I think he was referring to his anxiety, not his score.

I scored a good 5 points under my PT average due to anxiety, but I have done well on law school exams. I dunno if you can draw a correlation between LSAT performance and law exam performance. Depends on the person I guess...I am a good writer

Return to “Choosing a Law School”