Wisconsin v Maryland v Pepperdine v 67s v 72s

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
paul7lee

Wisconsin v Maryland v Pepperdine v 67s v 72s

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Like many of us, I am trying to whittle down to "The One." Just to give some context, I am open to relocating, no undergrad debt, no family, am presently paralegaling at a NYC big law, and will most likely have to partially financially support my parents upon graduation. I got into Wisconsin (28), Maryland (48), Pepperdine (52), Brooklyn (67), Villanova (67), St. John's (72), Seton Hall (72), and Temple (72).

I like my top three a lot right now and the supposed cities that I would be most marketable for (Madison, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, LA, SF) but since I am from NYC and my girlfriend is based in Philly, I am also considering the 67s and 72s. St. John's gave me $32.5K and Seton Hall $35K. I'm trying to gather as much info to make the right choice for my family and I, and have spoken with students/alum of Pepperdine, Maryland, Seton Hall, and Temple. Most check to see if I'm sane for still wanting to go to law school and then go on to share the oft-repeated reality of the legal industry. Awesome. Thanks.

What I really want to gather info on is which school should I attend given my circumstance? Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

CanadianWolf

Re: Wisconsin v Maryland v Pepperdine v 67s v 72s

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Wisconsin or Temple.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Care to explain why?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

These schools are all pretty much the same. Two pieces of advice: pick the school in the region you would be happiest living in, and do not, and I repeat do not by any means, pay sticker for any one of these.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for the input. You think that the first 3 schools in this thread are really the same as the 67s/72s? It seems like at UW's reputation would far outweigh them, no?

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

paul7lee wrote:Thanks for the input. You think that the first 3 schools in this thread are really the same as the 67s/72s? It seems like at UW's reputation would far outweigh them, no?

I don't think it is fair to call them the same, as Wisconsin's reputation is very good. Still, the biglaw job prospects coming out of them are relatively similar, in that none of them are great chances.

Actually, if you are gunning for BigLaw, only Wisconsin (12.X%), Maryland (11.X%), and Temple (11.X%) made the top 50 in NLJ 250 placement.

Any chance of negotiating scholarships?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 pm

paul7lee wrote:Like many of us, I am trying to whittle down to "The One." Just to give some context, I am open to relocating, no undergrad debt, no family, am presently paralegaling at a NYC big law, and will most likely have to partially financially support my parents upon graduation. I got into Wisconsin (28), Maryland (48), Pepperdine (52), Brooklyn (67), Villanova (67), St. John's (72), Seton Hall (72), and Temple (72).

I like my top three a lot right now and the supposed cities that I would be most marketable for (Madison, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, LA, SF) but since I am from NYC and my girlfriend is based in Philly, I am also considering the 67s and 72s. St. John's gave me $32.5K and Seton Hall $35K. I'm trying to gather as much info to make the right choice for my family and I, and have spoken with students/alum of Pepperdine, Maryland, Seton Hall, and Temple. Most check to see if I'm sane for still wanting to go to law school and then go on to share the oft-repeated reality of the legal industry. Awesome. Thanks.

What I really want to gather info on is which school should I attend given my circumstance? Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

:?:

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I am actually not particularly aiming for only Big Law. I am open to an array of opportunities, keeping in mind the financial obligations that I will have to tend to post-graduation. Big Law, Mid Law, Small Law. I'm sure that I won't really have too much of a choice come my 2L-3L year.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 pm

And I forgot to mention that I would certainly look to negotiate scholarships with the other schools as well. I also just finished the FAFSA so I'm hoping to hear some more fin. aid info from the various schools as well.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 pm

paul7lee wrote:Thanks for the input. You think that the first 3 schools in this thread are really the same as the 67s/72s? It seems like at UW's reputation would far outweigh them, no?

I don't mean that they are all identical, but none of them are national and none of them place very well in biglaw. meaning pick the region you want to be in, and limit debt.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 pm

That certainly makes sense. Do you think if I were to go to Wisconsin instead of Seton Hall or St. John's that the chances of landing a decent job overall in NYC/NJ would be better/worse/negligible?

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

paul7lee wrote:That certainly makes sense. Do you think if I were to go to Wisconsin instead of Seton Hall or St. John's that the chances of landing a decent job overall in NYC/NJ would be better/worse/negligible?

Not really, no.

The truth is that Wisconsin places well in the upper Midwest. It has something of a reputation, nationally (in that most people recognize that Wisconsin is "a good school"), but it doesn't have a solid legal alumni network in most other regions, nor do those firms tend to do OCI at Wisconsin. The vast, vast majority of Wisconsin grads end up in Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc.

If you're really willing to go where the opportunity is best, then Wisconsin is a good choice. If you're secretly hoping to return to the east coast, then you should go to school on the east coast.

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:

I don't think it is fair to call them the same, as Wisconsin's reputation is very good. Still, the biglaw job prospects coming out of them are relatively similar, in that none of them are great chances.

Actually, if you are gunning for BigLaw, only Wisconsin (12.X%), Maryland (11.X%), and Temple (11.X%) made the top 50 in NLJ 250 placement.

Any chance of negotiating scholarships?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you on the general theory here, but the numbers you listed aren't correct:

Seton Hall actually had the best placement last year coming in at 33rd with 12.8%, Wisconsin had 12.3% at 36th, Maryland was 38th with 11.98%, Villanova was 40th with 11.91%, and Temple was 46th with 11.26%. So, there were actually two more schools listed on the OP's list that placed in the top 50. Not sure about Seton Hall, but I'm fairly sure Nova is between 40-50 somewhat regularly.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 pm

Shoot, you're right - my mistake. I totally overlooked that. OP, you can find the complete list in this thread.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:Shoot, you're right - my mistake. I totally overlooked that. OP, you can find the complete list in this thread.

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for the links! And sorry, what's OP?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 pm

I don't think your girlfriend should factor into your decision unless they're tied. If she is not in a field where she can only succeed in Philly, if she loved you she'd come along. I'm very adverse to people who are not your wife or fiancee factoring into big life decisions. I am currently fornicating with several women. I can guarantee you none of them even cross my mind for one second when I'm thinking about law school, because none of them will be raising my children.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 am

justadude55 wrote:I don't think your girlfriend should factor into your decision unless they're tied. If she is not in a field where she can only succeed in Philly, if she loved you she'd come along. I'm very adverse to people who are not your wife or fiancee factoring into big life decisions. I am currently fornicating with several women. I can guarantee you none of them even cross my mind for one second when I'm thinking about law school, because none of them will be raising my children.

Haha. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 am

paul7lee wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:Shoot, you're right - my mistake. I totally overlooked that. OP, you can find the complete list in this thread.

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for the links! And sorry, what's OP?

Original Poster => dude(tte) starting a thread

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:58 am

justadude55 wrote:I don't think your girlfriend should factor into your decision unless they're tied. If she is not in a field where she can only succeed in Philly, if she loved you she'd come along. I'm very adverse to people who are not your wife or fiancee factoring into big life decisions. I am currently fornicating with several women. I can guarantee you none of them even cross my mind for one second when I'm thinking about law school, because none of them will be raising my children.

Really? You can guarantee it? Well, I guess I'm sold.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks to everyone for posting. Appreciate the input.

I suppose for where I am at now, because money is a large concern for me, I am leaning towards SJL and SHU but of course, I will see what I can get from the other schools who have not indicated any scholly money. Any input on this would certainly be helpful.

As for my girlfriend, we are actually serious (2 years plus dating) and have discussed marriage in the next 2 to 3 years. Law school is my excuse to put it off for now. Haha. I think there a lot of blind-in-love people who just follow their other wherever or are coerced to move wherever with regard to work/school, but mine tends to be pretty approving of where I go. Of course, she has her preferences but surprisingly, it's not even for her hometown Philly schools; it's actually for Maryland. She likes change and so do I, and the Baltimore/DC market seems nice.

However, I spoke with a Maryland 3L over the phone yesterday and between her highly caffeinated high speed chattering to her constantly interrupting my questions and her boasting of her top 5% grades and one of 20 people in her class with jobs and deriding SJL/SHU as crappy schools (I understand this sentiment) and somewhat patronization of my pursuit of law made me somewhat turned off by UMD. Of course, speaking to gunners will suck no matter what so I suppose I'll just take that convo with a large vat of salt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”