Michigan vs. GULC vs. Texas ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Michigan (sticker)
56%
Georgetown (sticker)
15%
Texas ($76,000)
29%

Total votes: 34

sbj4455

Michigan vs. GULC vs. Texas ($$)

Postby sbj4455 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm trying to decide between taking Michigan or GULC at sticker or going to UT with a $76,000 scholarship. I'm not sure that I want to do biglaw but I might, depending on what type. I'm pretty liberal (Berkeley undergrad), but I know that Austin is too. I'm just worried that once I graduate I'll end up some place I don't like. I don't know much about Houston or Dallas, but I don't hear great things. I don't want to end up defending oil companies for a living.

What I really want to do is open up my own firm (maybe with one or two partners) in a specialty field. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do this right out of law school.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to get money out of Michigan or GULC? I'd love to go there, but...well...200k is a lot of money. I can't see myself being able to pay that off in the future.

I also still haven't heard back from a bunch of schools (T14), but I don't know if they'll offer me money either.

LSAT: 169
GPA: 3.8

FuManChusco

Re: Michigan vs. GULC vs. Texas ($$)

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

sbj4455 wrote:I'm trying to decide between taking Michigan or GULC at sticker or going to UT with a $76,000 scholarship. I'm not sure that I want to do biglaw but I might, depending on what type. I'm pretty liberal (Berkeley undergrad), but I know that Austin is too. I'm just worried that once I graduate I'll end up some place I don't like. I don't know much about Houston or Dallas, but I don't hear great things. I don't want to end up defending oil companies for a living.

What I really want to do is open up my own firm (maybe with one or two partners) in a specialty field. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do this right out of law school.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to get money out of Michigan or GULC? I'd love to go there, but...well...200k is a lot of money. I can't see myself being able to pay that off in the future.

I also still haven't heard back from a bunch of schools (T14), but I don't know if they'll offer me money either.

Well, a bunch of people are going to say retake so be prepared for that. If you don't want Texas, then I would take Mich. Just tell them texas gave you a bunch of $$ and see what they say. Sticker isn't the end of the world there though. What schools are you waiting on? Where would you like to settle down?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 pm

lol

retake

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 pm

lisjjen wrote:lol

retake

Lulz

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Dont not choose texas because you think Dallas or Houston will be to conservative for you. They're both major metro areas where people from all points on the political spectrum feel comfortable. Also, both of those cities vote democratic and the residents are actually pretty liberal, it's when you get into the suburbs that things change.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 pm

sbj4455 wrote:I'm trying to decide between taking Michigan or GULC at sticker or going to UT with a $76,000 scholarship. I'm not sure that I want to do biglaw but I might, depending on what type. I'm pretty liberal (Berkeley undergrad), but I know that Austin is too. I'm just worried that once I graduate I'll end up some place I don't like. I don't know much about Houston or Dallas, but I don't hear great things. I don't want to end up defending oil companies for a living.

Michigan, unless you're sure you want to practice law in Texas.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:30 pm

retake

I sense a ban coming your way soon.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Marionberry wrote:Dont not choose texas because you think Dallas or Houston will be to conservative for you. They're both major metro areas where people from all points on the political spectrum feel comfortable. Also, both of those cities vote democratic and the residents are actually pretty liberal, it's when you get into the suburbs that things change.

disagree.

OP, the only way to get a feel for the Texas metropolitan regions is to visit. FWIW, I'm extremely liberal and I hated living in Dallas.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:

retake

I sense a ban coming your way soon.

Lulz. No.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Dont not choose texas because you think Dallas or Houston will be to conservative for you. They're both major metro areas where people from all points on the political spectrum feel comfortable. Also, both of those cities vote democratic and the residents are actually pretty liberal, it's when you get into the suburbs that things change.

disagree.

OP, the only way to get a feel for the Texas metropolitan regions is to visit. FWIW, I'm extremely liberal and I hated living in Dallas.

I guess it might be different for everyone, but I've known plenty of liberal people who lived in both cities and loved it. Of course, it's really best to visit if at all possible.

RIPmitchhedberg

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

I was in the exact same position ($76 k scholarship from UT vs. UM sticker) and wrote them an email explaining that I just couldn't justify paying twice as much to go to Michigan. They emailed me back the next morning with a $10k/year scholarship. For me, that was decision-making money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”